C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coil over vs transverse mono spring

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 12:51 PM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
I am by no means an expert but for what it's worth Danny Popp runs coil overs on his C3 and has converted his C5 to coil overs. He's a consistent autocross winner so that might be somewhat telling and go towards supporting what gkull and BlackRocket are saying.
True, but he won Optima 3 times in a row with the monoleaf setup. Add to this that the C7s are still running monleafs. Yes, there will be differences in unsprung weight, availability of spring rates, etc. compared to a coilover. But the car does not know or care what 'kind' of spring it has... the spring rate is the spring rate. You could make the argument that the monoleaf inherently affects both sides of the car, but for the 99.9% of all drivers out there, I don't think a true coilover is going to show any real advantage in lap times. Just my .02.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:53 PM
gitanodelnorte
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default transverse suspension weight advantage over coil overs

Originally Posted by gitanodelnorte
Hello- Here is an article that says transverse mono spring solution offers an unsprung weight reduction vs coil over. Also, SCCA cars are using transverse mono spring as well. At the extremes of racing, Lemans & Sebring, it does appear coil over is the only way to go. Since i only do occasional nostalgia drags it does not really matter. i don't do autocross any more. Just want upgrade. Either solution is a major improvement over my 1964 suspension I think. Thanks again for your input!

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2012...vers-vs-leafs/
Here's another article on weight advantage of transverse:

http://www.corvetteonline.com/tech-s...er-suspension/
Old 02-11-2018, 05:17 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,693 Likes on 2,936 Posts

That's what Inliked about talking with Dan at Van Steel. They manufacture both coil over and transverse mono spring and give their advise for your intended use and are not biased on one system over an other.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:12 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I dug through some old pictures of the ALMS races. this is actually when the races were more fun and innovation abounded.

My old crap!

Last edited by gkull; 02-12-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:26 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Great photo's. Shows the Dbl coil over with standard control arms correct ? Do you suspect they used rubber Vs poly bushings ?
Old 02-12-2018, 02:31 PM
gitanodelnorte
Intermediate

Default transverse vs coil over

Just talked with Dan at Van Steel. He does not like the front transverse spring and does not offer it. Says to stay stock, replace my 30 year old shocks with Bilsteins and/or go coilover on the front. He does like the rear mono spring and they do sell the rear in several flavors. Says the VBP transverse is very springy and requires super stiff shocks to work. Now learning to coilover.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:33 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by caskiguy
Great photo's. Shows the Dbl coil over with standard control arms correct ? Do you suspect they used rubber Vs poly bushings ?
No this is trick fabricated steel arms. No everything is metal. Like bronze bushings. I have seen delrin coated metal stuff on some of the Ferraris that I worked on at these races. In between race weekends we rebuilt everything or at least took it apart and inspected everything for cracks with magnetic dyes or particle testing.

This is probably around the year 2000 being a C5R. The garages back then were pretty casual
Old 02-12-2018, 03:11 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

He does like the rear mono spring and they do sell the rear in several flavors. Says the VBP transverse is very springy and requires super stiff shocks to work.
I have had a VBP 360 monospring on my 78 since 1986 and yes, the VBP monospring is bouncy and I did try KYB Gas A Just, Koni oils, and Bilstein with this spring. The Bilsteins were by far the best but the Bilstein HD's did not provide enough spring damping. I switched to Bilstein Sports in the rear only with Bilstein HDs up front with my 550 springs, and the ride is near perfect with terrific handling. The Bilstein sports do not provide an overly firm ride at all, in fact the car rides almost perfectly to me for a sports car, firm but not harsh at all. The ride is if anything on the softer, comfortable side. My 78 rides BETTER than my 10C6Z06, 12 Lexus IS350 F Sport, and my 08 Chrysler 300 with Sport suspension. Just an FYI.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:12 PM
gitanodelnorte
Intermediate

Default mono vs coil over

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
I have had a VBP 360 monospring on my 78 since 1986 and yes, the VBP monospring is bouncy and I did try KYB Gas A Just, Koni oils, and Bilstein with this spring. The Bilsteins were by far the best but the Bilstein HD's did not provide enough spring damping. I switched to Bilstein Sports in the rear only with Bilstein HDs up front with my 550 springs, and the ride is near perfect with terrific handling. The Bilstein sports do not provide an overly firm ride at all, in fact the car rides almost perfectly to me for a sports car, firm but not harsh at all. The ride is if anything on the softer, comfortable side. My 78 rides BETTER than my 10C6Z06, 12 Lexus IS350 F Sport, and my 08 Chrysler 300 with Sport suspension. Just an FYI.

Pardon me for sounding like a neophyte but by "550" do you mean the original style front coil springs or are you using some brand of coilover? The rear spring I am looking at is their (Van Steel) 400 lb rated spring. it should be just as robust as my current big block 7 leaf rear spring. Not looking for a nicer ride. Want much better handling and reduced weight. Next issue will be who makes the best mono springs and the best coilovers? Van Steel looks like a better solution than ride tech or shark bite, less bling, more zing?
Old 02-12-2018, 08:23 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

550 lbs front springs are the factory rated gymkhana front springs...Mine are 1 inch shorter than the stock ride height. The factory replacement spring rate for the steel 7 leaf spring is the 360 composite...steel spring rates do not equate 1:1 to a composite. My factory gymkhana 7 leaf steel spring was rated at 292lbs and the replacement composite for the 292lbs steel spring is 360 lbs composite. If I was to replace my 360 composite, I would probably opt for a 400-420 lbs composite. The VBP 360 composite in my opinion is still a hair too soft for me. No thoughts on coil overs since I do not have them or used them.....
Old 02-13-2018, 11:25 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,693 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Originally Posted by gitanodelnorte
Pardon me for sounding like a neophyte but by "550" do you mean the original style front coil springs or are you using some brand of coilover? The rear spring I am looking at is their (Van Steel) 400 lb rated spring. it should be just as robust as my current big block 7 leaf rear spring. Not looking for a nicer ride. Want much better handling and reduced weight. Next issue will be who makes the best mono springs and the best coilovers? Van Steel looks like a better solution than ride tech or shark bite, less bling, more zing?
Sounds like you are learning.
It all comes down to what will work best for you.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:46 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 959 Likes on 596 Posts

I went with the extended travel lowers from global west. I like the Vette low so it gave me more shock travel. Only slight issue is angle of the sway bar links but I lowered the mounts to help compensate.

The del aum bushes are so smooth. No squeaks and just a smooth ride from the front end.
The following users liked this post:
caskiguy (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:51 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigH
I went with the extended travel lowers from global west. I like the Vette low so it gave me more shock travel. Only slight issue is angle of the sway bar links but I lowered the mounts to help compensate.

The del aum bushes are so smooth. No squeaks and just a smooth ride from the front end.
Can you show what you did with the sway bar mounts. I have those same lower arms but am just at the chassis building stage now, and haven’t mounted the sway bar yet. Thanks,

Bill
Old 02-15-2018, 10:50 AM
gkull
Team Owner

My advice on rear spring rate is to figure out how much rear squat you have during a max launch. Early in my vettes drag racing career I could feel the rear squat. So I had friends video from the side and rear of what was going on. We did measurements compared to the filming. With a little math I needed @500 inch pound spring to limit squat. Back in the 80s you had to make your own custom stuff. I went to a spring shop and they added a leaf and rearched the wimpy rear steel

years ago against my better judgment I installed a vb&p 420 mono to save weight. My tires were right into my body. I cranked up the rear body height and it caused body roll in the turns. So I called vb&p and had them make a custom mono. It came out to 520 pounds

really nice ride with qa1s
Old 02-15-2018, 11:19 PM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
Can you show what you did with the sway bar mounts. I have those same lower arms but am just at the chassis building stage now, and haven’t mounted the sway bar yet. Thanks,

Bill
My Install starts here

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ourney-44.html

Here is a mock up with some wood to lower the swaybar mount.

Did it in Aluminium but don't have a picture and car is at painter. Gave better clearance and angle.

I am thinking up updating to a 1.25" bar at some stage. The issue is more the angle of the tab on the end of the bar.

I spoke with Global West and suggested they move the bracket lower on the tube as well.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:04 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Craig you did a beautiful job of documenting your suspension changes. I have the vb&p 1.125 with spring end links. I tried a 1.250 bar off a friend's c3 race car at a track on a test and tune day. You can do the math if you convert to mm. But the 1.250 is @80% stiffer. approaching twice as stiff as the 1.125. Imo it ruins front end grip. People said that they could see day light under my front inside tires in the turns. He used mine and didn't want to give it back
The following users liked this post:
caskiguy (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 03:44 PM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkull
Craig you did a beautiful job of documenting your suspension changes. I have the vb&p 1.125 with spring end links. I tried a 1.250 bar off a friend's c3 race car at a track on a test and tune day. You can do the math if you convert to mm. But the 1.250 is @80% stiffer. approaching twice as stiff as the 1.125. Imo it ruins front end grip. People said that they could see day light under my front inside tires in the turns. He used mine and didn't want to give it back
Good point gkull, yes 1.25 May be too stiff.

I don’t get much roll now with the car lowered so probably need only slightly bigger.

Get notified of new replies

To coil over vs transverse mono spring

Old 02-18-2018, 09:27 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigH
My Install starts here

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ourney-44.html

Here is a mock up with some wood to lower the swaybar mount.

Did it in Aluminium but don't have a picture and car is at painter. Gave better clearance and angle.

I am thinking up updating to a 1.25" bar at some stage. The issue is more the angle of the tab on the end of the bar.

I spoke with Global West and suggested they move the bracket lower on the tube as well.
Thank you Craig. Wow what a terrific build thread you have. Looks like the same way Ridetech spaced the sway bar with their system.

Bill
Old 02-20-2018, 02:43 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil B
True, but he won Optima 3 times in a row with the monoleaf setup. Add to this that the C7s are still running monleafs. Yes, there will be differences in unsprung weight, availability of spring rates, etc. compared to a coilover. But the car does not know or care what 'kind' of spring it has... the spring rate is the spring rate. You could make the argument that the monoleaf inherently affects both sides of the car, but for the 99.9% of all drivers out there, I don't think a true coilover is going to show any real advantage in lap times. Just my .02.
Coilovers affect both sides of the car as well. Nothing magical about coilovers or evil about monoleafs.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:50 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
A 1.25" bar is 52% stiffer than a 1.125" bar.

Years ago I tried a 1.25" bar with some 460# springs (trying out the soft spring, big bar combination that some of the suspension gurus preached), and hated it. Too much lift in accels and dive in braking, and no noticeable (to me) improvement in cornering. I now prefer a bit more spring, and just enough bar to tailor the handling to my liking.

Quick Reply: coil over vs transverse mono spring