C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dana 44 side bearing seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 08:14 AM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Dana 44 side bearing seal replacement

I was wondering how much of a tear down is required to replace the side bearing seals in a Dana 44, specifically can this be down without going inside the unit or does it require a full tear down. I don't need to do this. But it was done several years ago, and I wonder if damage I recently found to one set of the clutch pack retention clips would be a result of poor reassembly. The car is an '80 with a basically stock L82. To see an image of the damage check out my earlier thread .
Old 02-13-2018, 10:23 AM
73racevette
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

you should be able to change the seals from the outside. They can be difficult to get out, but they should come out with some patience.
The following users liked this post:
vince vette 2 (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 12:04 PM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 73racevette
you should be able to change the seals from the outside. They can be difficult to get out, but they should come out with some patience.
Thanks for the reply. Then my guess would be that the internals of the unit were never tampered with since I bought it with 3 miles on it. I vaguely recall about 3 hours of labor changed vs. the 8 hours the dealer wanted. My guess would be the dealer intended to replace the bearings and seals as I could see that being and 8 hour job. But the shop I opted to take it to, which was another dealer's used car shop, just did the seals. So the broken clips are not an issue of poor repair, just a general issue of the poor Dana 44 design or original assembly.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:01 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

You will have to do quite a bit of work to remove the side seals in a D44 in the car.... but since you already have the rear out of the car, it shouldn't be that big of a job.

Remove the Retaining Clips for the Inner Stub Shafts. Remove the Inner Stub Shafts.

Then you can remove and replace the Side Seals.
Will

Get notified of new replies

To Dana 44 side bearing seal replacement

Quick Reply: Dana 44 side bearing seal replacement