C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY alignment

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 09:48 PM
78anniversary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DIY alignment

Can anyone steer me towards a good diy alignment procedure? Specifically for the toe in on the rear?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 78anniversary; 02-18-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:21 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

I recently changed trailing arms and used a variation on this method - Drove the car and it seems to have gotten me pretty close, but I will still get a local shop to fine-tune it before it warms up this spring.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:25 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

The guy in the below video details how to do the rear using the "string" method. I tried his technique and it is easy to bend the string a little too much... I then used just a long straight edge such as an 8' level or a stick of angle 2x2 aluminum. You can merely push it up against mounted brake disc and point it forward to see the amount of runout in relation to the bottom of the frame. Keep in mind you have to load the suspension with a couple of floor jacks to get it accurate. Once complete you need to re-check with car and tires on the ground and a pair of Longacre "Toe Plates" like under Summit Racing link.

B-R

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lng-79501

Last edited by BlackRocket; 02-18-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:09 AM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

Toe in the rear is impacted by the camber adjustment only a very tiny amount (within normal ranges of camber adjustment).

For a "close enough" standard you are safe to only adjust the control arm for toe.

Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 02-19-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:41 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by 78anniversary
Can anyone steer me towards a good diy alignment procedure? Specifically for the toe in on the rear?

Thanks in advance!
What is your goal for DIY.

1. Enough to get to a shop.
2. Never again visit a alignment shop.

if your goal is # 2 then it depends on how many miles / year you will drive the car.

Most methods of DIY will make the car drive ok, but sacrifice tire life.

What I mean by this is to get max tire life you do need to be able to accurately setup the alignment tools , take accurate measurements , and repeat the process reliably. Once you feel confident in DIY take your measurements and compare to a alignment shop (Measurements only) Then you will know if your method is as good as a shop.

DIY Alignment is a worth while task since most shops today have never seen a C3 corvette.

And most people that DIY alignment drive their car less than 5000 miles a year and the tires age well before the loose tread due to close enough alignment.

Last edited by cagotzmann; 02-19-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:01 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

When I bought my '72 back in '95 I had the entire car aligned after a complete suspension rebuild....the rear has been fine....tires are wearing really well.....BUT up front after my doing rack steering, I have had nothing but problems trying to do my own alignment.....

I have come to the conclusion it is because me garage floor is not perfectly level house on a hillside, I assume, done that way to assist drainage. and so the vette sets oddly on the surface....

can't align any car with the surface it sets on is not PURRFECTLY flat.....

so alignment shop......CASE CLOSED......
Old 02-21-2018, 12:32 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

I spent about $250 for the QuickTricks alignment tool. Check their web page for the different models available. It works well on caster and camber. The toe in measurement, while accurate, is the combined total for both the left and right wheels. So, you need to establish an accurate point of reference to get the individual toe in. Most people use the string method, but here you still need to get a reference point to get the string absolutely parallel to the centerline of the car frame (not the fenders, which can be crooked). I got my alignment done in a little over an hour. Most of the time was getting the string set up.

Last edited by ronarndt; 02-21-2018 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-14-2020, 08:40 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by 78anniversary

Thanks in advance!
Here is what I have done for years.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nt-method.html

Get notified of new replies

To DIY alignment

Quick Reply: DIY alignment