C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pypes Exhaust Installation Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 04:56 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Default Pypes Exhaust Installation Problems

I recently purchased the Pypes exhaust system for late model C3s. This thread is going to be about the problems that I encountered during the install on my '81.

I plan on posting some pictures of the issues encountered and the labor needed to correct the problems found.

Let me say this before I go take some photos. The system sounds great and is made with quality materials. The kit needed some major modifications to work. I am taking my car to the muffler shop Monday to make this thing fit right.

While I get the photos together I'd like to hear comments from others. What problems did you encounter with your install?

Craig
Old 03-02-2018, 05:41 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I will never understand how these companies fail to build an exhaust system that is really simple that fits. Its not like the cars are different. I initially bought a Magnoflow system, and it fit terribly. I then sold those at a loss and then paid $2000 for Stainless Works exhaust system for my car, and it did not fit without major adjustments. It not explainable. Magnaflow, Stainless Works and Pypes are specifically made for C3 Corvettes and they can't get it right every time. And all I got out of these companies was some BS that my car must have been in an accident......and it was not. I am not impressed.

The first hint that an exhaust system is NOT built right is if each side is symmetrical. As we all know, the engine is offset by and inch plus from frame centerline....so a properly designed system will NOT be symmetrical.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 03-02-2018 at 05:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Torqued Off:
73racevette (03-04-2018), Street Rat (03-03-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 07:34 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

I got my dual exhaust system from Corvette Central. It is a reproduction of the factory system. It fit perfectly with no mods whatsoever and is available with Magnaflows if you want a little more volume. Not only that, the mufflers that came with it (not the Magnaflows) came with a lifetime warranty. When they rusted out after about 15 years, I was not optimistic about them honoring the warranty, but I shipped them back anyway with a copy of the original invoice. They shipped me a new set, no questions asked.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:46 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

When installing a PYPES system on the 6t8 the X-pipe and one of the following pipes were manufactured wrong. They sent new pipes, problem solved. Quality material and product when they get it right. T
Old 03-03-2018, 08:57 PM
Silvertone
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't remember if you said what type of headers you're using. When I got my Pypes x-pipe kit five years ago I remember it was a bear trying to get the curvy pipes to mate up with the headers and ended up a tad close to the SS700 (five speed). So I switched to synthetic tranny fluid and wrapped the pipes just in case. Fortunately my exhaust runs fairly cool.

I think the kit is designed to mate up with stock cast iron and its up to you to mate them to your particular headers if any.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:46 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Silvertone
Don't remember if you said what type of headers you're using. When I got my Pypes x-pipe kit five years ago I remember it was a bear trying to get the curvy pipes to mate up with the headers and ended up a tad close to the SS700 (five speed). So I switched to synthetic tranny fluid and wrapped the pipes just in case. Fortunately my exhaust runs fairly cool.

I think the kit is designed to mate up with stock cast iron and its up to you to mate them to your particular headers if any.
My headers are Hooker Competition. It's a given that I have to have the pipes from the headers to the front of the X-pipe fabricated. I know that. I've put flex pipe there until I get to the muffler shop.

The problem on my vehicle lies from the x-pipe back. The mid-pipes are too low for one thing. The pipes don't fit well without cutting or modifying. The inlet on the mufflers have to be used at different locations for each side. The left muffler inlet is to the outside whereas the right side enters on the inside. The instructions state each muffler inlet is too have the inlet to the inside. Etc. Etc. I already had to call Pypes to send out a correct right side midpipe

These cars were produced a long time ago. You would think that SOMEONE would have come up with a kit that fits correctly by now.

Gotta go cause everytime I write about this I get PISSED!
Old 03-04-2018, 12:03 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Street Rat
These cars were produced a long time ago. You would think that SOMEONE would have come up with a kit that fits correctly by now.
!
Corvette Central
Old 03-04-2018, 12:15 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by drwet
Corvette Central

Corvette Central didn't have a 2 1/2" exhaust system to fit my '81. I think all that they had was the chambered exhaust. I wanted a kit that uses mufflers. Wish I would have called though instead of just looking online.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:02 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

It will be listed for earlier cars that came with dual exhaust, or as a dual exhaust replacement for cars that originally came with single. Don't remember if your car has a crossmember with one hole in it or two. If it has one, you will have to replace it with one that has two holes if you want dual exhaust. If you call them they can probably tell you what you need.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:11 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by drwet
It will be listed for earlier cars that came with dual exhaust, or as a dual exhaust replacement for cars that originally came with single. Don't remember if your car has a crossmember with one hole in it or two. If it has one, you will have to replace it with one that has two holes if you want dual exhaust. If you call them they can probably tell you what you need.
I appreciate the advice. I'm going to try to make this system work for now.

Too much money invested into it now.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:21 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Went to the muffler shop today. I didn't get any pictures before they started cutting things up. My bad.

So I'm going to give you the details on the problems that were encountered.

I worked on the left driver side first. Starting at the collector I ran flex pipe to the bent tube which hooks up to the mid pipe. Clamped the bent tube to the x-pipe. This all lined up great. I had to call Pypes to verify installation of the x-pipe. Just to be certain I had it in correctly. I'm using a Bow tie overdrive crossmember and I had clearance for the x-pipe on both sides.

Then I installed the mid pipe from the x-pipe to the muffler. The only way to hook up the left muffler was to put the inlet to the outside. The instructions say to put the inlet to the inside. That was not going to happen. Then I lined up the muffler to find out that the extension tip would not exit the underside of the car. I had to fab an extension to get the pipe from under the car.

Now to the right side. The run from the collector to the mid pipe was basically a straight shot. I didn't have to use the bent pipe that came in the kit. So flex pipe to the x-pipe from the collector. The the mid pipe was installed. I called Pypes again as it was determined that the wrong right side mid pipe was in the kit. Took six days to get the correct pipe. Once I went to install it it was too long. So I ended up cutting the back of the x-pipe shorter to make the "correct" pipe fit. The mid pipe went into the muffler inlet the way it was supposed to with the inlet to the inside of the car next to the spare tire carrier.

I put this all together with the intention of going to the muffler shop to have all the junctions welded. Fabricate the pipes from collector to x-pipe as well.

I went for a test drive. The car sounds great but the mid-pipes drag the ground on bumps. So the muffler shop had to straighten this mess out for me.

The bottom line in my opinion is to take your car to a competent exhaust shop. Have them fabricate a custom exhaust for your C3. Don't buy the Pypes kit is my recommendation.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:48 AM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

wow - what a hassle. I got the CC system several years ago and it went in fine.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:57 AM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

I ordered a Pypes system with X-pipe last summer after an engine rebuild. It was drop-shipped from Pypes (don't remember the vendor) and looked forward to installing it myself. When the box showed up and looked like a previous return, re-taped shut, and was missing 2 of the pcs, I returned it for refund and didn't bother with replacement from them. What a mess and a hassle.

I went to a local shop and had them bend and weld an entire 2-1/2" system. I had headers on the car and supplied my own mufflers. Beautiful work, reasonable, and no shipping and returns to d-ck with. Never again will I try to order a pre-bent system that "bolts right on".
Old 03-05-2018, 06:15 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Got the car to the muffler shop this morning. It took a little over 2 hours to get it how I wanted it. The guy there had been doing exhaust for 40 years. Wish I had known that before I bought the Pypes kit.

Get notified of new replies

To Pypes Exhaust Installation Problems

Quick Reply: Pypes Exhaust Installation Problems