C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 02:19 PM
jfurcht
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Backup lights not working

Looking for advice on the best place to start searching for a break in the backup light circuit. I have power to the b/u switch, power out of it when car is in reverse. No power back at the bulb sockets verified with a test light. So I suspect a break between the switch and the back of the car.
Short of taking apart the dash, interior and harness, is there a weak spot in the circuit where most of the problems happen?
Old 03-04-2018, 02:35 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

What year is your car?? There should be a connector for the rear harness. Are the bulbs good?

Last edited by speedreed8; 03-04-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:46 PM
jfurcht
Advanced

Originally Posted by speedreed8
What year is your car?? There should be a connector for the rear harness.
Sorry I should’ve noted the year. Is 76.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:43 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,393 Likes on 3,964 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

mine was a bad ground at the socket but it was a 68. i would check under the door sill. its about halfway. you can keep probing the line that way systematically until you find it. good luck
Old 03-05-2018, 12:13 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Power comes into the backup lamp switch on the pink/white wire, then goes out on the light green. It passes through two connections before it hits the lamps.. 1 is the firewall connection and the other is the front to rear harness connection.

So.. if you have power at the switch in/out, then go to the firewall connection and test it there... if you have it there then remove the right hand kick panel and you'll find the front to rear connection... then test it there as well. If you have power there then you possibly have a wiring issue between the front to rear connection to the rear lamps.

I'd also verify that you have a good ground at the laps... possibly before I tested anything else. Using your test lamp, check for power at the rear lamp by using another known ground. If you light up, then use the back wire as your test ground.

You can copy this schematic and paste it into any "paint" program... then you can trace out the circuit with the pen tool. Just right click on it, then select copy... open paint up, then paste it and save it as a JPG picture.

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...y-complete.png

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 03-05-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:05 PM
jfurcht
Advanced

Thanks to all. The wiring schematic looks like a good time!
Old 03-07-2018, 07:34 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Do you have a pointy test light, with a sharp enough test probe to poke through insulation? I have something like this, which is invaluable.
http://amzn.to/2Fl6zuv
You can use it to test along the circuit, anywhere you find the wire per the excellent Willcox diagram, and quickly determine where the break is before pulling any panels off the car.

That said, it's (almost) always a connector. Perhaps even inside the rear socket itself. Mine broke apart inside the socket itself, leaving just enough for intermittent lights, until I swapped out the sockets for repros.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:10 AM
jfurcht
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bikespace
Do you have a pointy test light, with a sharp enough test probe to poke through insulation? I have something like this, which is invaluable.
http://amzn.to/2Fl6zuv
You can use it to test along the circuit, anywhere you find the wire per the excellent Willcox diagram, and quickly determine where the break is before pulling any panels off the car.

That said, it's (almost) always a connector. Perhaps even inside the rear socket itself. Mine broke apart inside the socket itself, leaving just enough for intermittent lights, until I swapped out the sockets for repros.
Yes I have a pointy test light which does work well poking through insulation, but mostly my fingers. This weekend I will go at it again after I stock up on beer and patience.

Get notified of new replies

To Backup lights not working

Quick Reply: Backup lights not working