C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Alignment tool

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 11:35 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 10 Posts

Default DIY Alignment tool

Has anyone used one of the DIY alignment tools to set initial alignment? I am always changing or rebuilding something that throws my alignment off and want something to set it close enough to get it to a real alignment shop. I am looking at one that does toe, caster and camber. Around $200 so it would be nice to know if they work. They are used a lot at the track so I am thinking it would be good enough for an initial set up.

Thanks

Steve
Old 03-12-2018, 12:14 AM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

I have the QuickTricks alignment tool. Works well on caster and camber. The toe in measurement however is the combined toe in for BOTH sides, so you have to do the string process to determined how much each side is off.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:17 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,878 Likes on 916 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I use Quick Trick also. Works great....

Call up and ask for Tess...she's one of the owners with her husband. Tell her Jim says Hi.....

JIM
Old 03-12-2018, 08:04 AM
supervette64
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

I've used LongAcre toe plates and camber/caster bubble level. Both were pretty easy to use. Helps to have a 2nd person with you, but not required. Spent more time jacking up the car, adjusting, lowering it, and then rolling it back and forth to settle the suspension than I did actually measuring the alignment!
Old 03-12-2018, 08:39 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I have a set of the Quick trick alignment tools also. I bought them while building the Cobra. It has IRS as well but the adjustment is way different. It took me 10 hours to align the car initially. I heard horror stories of shops trying to do this on the Cobra .I figured if I can build this car I can align it also. Take your time and you can do it. I also have a set of the turnplates but they are nice but not needed.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:49 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

I use an iPhone with the "driveline angle finder" in the Tremec Tool Box app for camber and caster. It's good to a tenth of a degree. That's a piece of marble counter top for a flat edge cut to the right length. I used it because it was flat, doesn't flex and it was just laying around. I also found that for caster with a power steering car, one complete turn of the wheel equals 20 degrees each way. I use a string for toe.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:53 AM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
I use an iPhone with the "driveline angle finder" in the Tremec Tool Box app for camber and caster. It's good to a tenth of a degree. That's a piece of marble counter top for a flat edge cut to the right length. I used it because it was flat, doesn't flex and it was just laying around. I also found that for caster with a power steering car, one complete turn of the wheel equals 20 degrees each way. I use a string for toe.
A straight-edge like that piece of marble isn't going to give a good surface to measure on with it set against the tire like that. Need it to set against the wheel.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:12 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

I use a 15" level, string, and a plumb bob. Old school.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:14 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

BTW, if your going to an alignment shop anyhow, don't bother. You would have to be WAY out to have an issue driving a couple miles. Just make sure you are toed in, not out. Eyeball it with a tape measure.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:26 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by revitup
A straight-edge like that piece of marble isn't going to give a good surface to measure on with it set against the tire like that. Need it to set against the wheel.
Can't see the top, but the bottom of the marble looks like it's against the wheel rather than the tire. Hell I use a 2x4 against the tire on my 17's and 18's.

OP, I'll submit that if you're careful with your setup, consistent with your method, and take your time, you'll likely not need to take it to a shop after you're done.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:46 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by revitup
It is against the wheel and is not touching the tire. It is cut to just over 16" which is the same measurement from outer lip to lip on a stock 15" rim.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:54 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
It is against the wheel and is not touching the tire. It is cut to just over 16" which is the same measurement from outer lip to lip on a stock 15" rim.
Gotcha, I guess I was expecting to see it sitting more inboard against that outward facing surface of the wheel. I couldn't trust that lip you're using to be true, at least on my original mag option wheels.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:45 AM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

I use a SmartCamber gauge for caster and camber and a Longacre toe bar. I also use an inexpensive laser level from Home Depot to set rear thrust angle. You will find that these rudimentary tools and methods are more precise than your ability to adjust the settings via shimming. I feel alignment shops are overrated. Go to any Mercedes dealer and watch how they verify alignments.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:52 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I purchased the 78290 LongAcre kit from Summit. A bit of a learning curve. After I understood everything about using the tool it was easy. I set the front and back with it. Close enough to take it 30 miles to get a professional alignment.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY Alignment tool

Quick Reply: DIY Alignment tool