C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building my Dream Car - 1968 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 11:46 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Yes, they are all the same as long as it was a Holley carb equipped car.

LT1, L78, L88, L79, I think even the 350/350 air cleaner is the same.

One note to Scott, the breather pipe on the air cleaner base will interfere with the rear accelerator pump on your double pumper, so you’ll need to cut it off flush and make a little block off plate for it... it’s no big deal.

That air cleaner base works well. I made more HP on the chassis dyno with that base on only (no filter or lid) then it did with just an open carb.
No prob.
I can handle that.
Kindergarten scissors, chewing gum, and a zippo should do the job!
The following users liked this post:
simrokkzz (04-13-2021)
Old 03-29-2018, 11:58 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kie
Fantastic! I’m also in Seattle and about to go down the rabbit hole with my newly acquired 75 coupe. Many similarities in our builds but I’m committed to being mostly done by July the 4th.

Is there a part number for that stage II suspension kit? Their website is hard to navigate on my phone.

Thanks much and awesome project !
I got the stage II kit.
https://www.speeddirect.com/index.ph...on-kit-details

It’s super nice. The one caveat is that the spreader bar doesn’t fit across if you you a triple crank pulley.

Also, two of the bolts for the shock mount plate were wrong and I had to get the right size. I’m a bit organized and I have a spreadsheet with links and costs of all of the major pieces I got (if you can consider down to the PCV valve “major”). email me if you would like a copy. Scottjamison2010@gmail.com. I’m happy to repay help all these guys have given me.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:31 AM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Yes, they are all the same as long as it was a Holley carb equipped car.

LT1, L78, L88, L79, I think even the 350/350 air cleaner is the same.

One note to Scott, the breather pipe on the air cleaner base will interfere with the rear accelerator pump on your double pumper, so you’ll need to cut it off flush and make a little block off plate for it... it’s no big deal.

That air cleaner base works well. I made more HP on the chassis dyno with that base on only (no filter or lid) then it did with just an open carb
Using a 'billet' throttle cable bracket meant that I was unable to use the 'low' GM drop down filter base (hence using a 'thinner' depth filter element and a K & N filter 'top'.)

Last edited by roscobbc; 03-30-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:29 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by roscobbc
Using a 'billet' throttle cable bracket meant that I was unable to use the 'low' GM drop down filter base (hence using a 'thinner' depth filter element and a K & N filter 'top'.)

That's a pretty slick set up. What is the advantage of that over the stock linkage?
Old 03-30-2018, 03:30 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Hi Scott - didn't actually use the one picture (a similar one - changed the image) on my '68 changing from the stock carb set-up (Quadrajet) to Holley type carb gave we issues with the limited amount of pedal movement on stock gas pedal set-up. When I changed to the Proform DP the only way I could get sufficient pedal movement and the correct alignment of the cable vs carb bellcrank - was to use one of these. Problem is the height. The stock carb bracket fits under the recess in drop- down air filter base. Billet type doesn't.

Last edited by roscobbc; 03-30-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:10 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 844 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by scottjamison
Hi All,

Last April I finally decided to pull the trigger and start my dream car.
Since I was 5 I wanted a red 68 Corvette. '68 partially because it's my favorite body style, partially because that is the same year I was made!

I found the right car: Red 68, 4-speed, 454, good exterior, very good interior, and not original (since I was going to mod it, I didn't want to mess up a numbers matching car).

I created version 1 (V1) in April which was just recovering the seats and new exhaust. Then I drove it all summer. Heavily under powered and suspension was made of marshmallows, but overall I enjoyed it big time. V2 will be brakes, suspension, steering, bushings, wiring, and engine (yeah, subtle upgrade).

I'm now working on V2 this winter and I am pretty far along, but my twin bro suggested I start a thread to show what I have done and get some feedback. Thanks already for those who have helped me with some information along the way. Here are some pics of V1. I will make quite a few rapid fire posts to catch up.

Great build. Great information. Thanks
Old 04-01-2018, 07:17 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Well this weekend was a bunch of little things.
Put in the heater hosts, vacuum line to the booster, other vacuum line carb to distributor, put in anti-freeze, oil, oil filter, sending unit, and some wiring stuff. Just about ready to start up in 2 weeks!!!!

Old 04-01-2018, 11:52 PM
IDS_Bill
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well this weekend was a bunch of little things.
Put in the heater hosts, vacuum line to the booster, other vacuum line carb to distributor, put in anti-freeze, oil, oil filter, sending unit, and some wiring stuff. Just about ready to start up in 2 weeks!!!!
What are we waiting for - are you out of town next weekend?
Old 04-01-2018, 11:56 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IDS_Bill
What are we waiting for - are you out of town next weekend?
I have a feeling we will try it next Sunday.

Trans fluid
Wiring for fans and fuel pump
Replacing the fuel pump with one that works (Pending a discussion with Edelbrock tomorrow).

I'm still concerned about the steering box contacting the header. I am researching a smaller box now.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:30 AM
Jamess411
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Can you give me the part number and company for the braided throttle cable please

Thx,

J
Old 04-02-2018, 11:55 AM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jamess411
Can you give me the part number and company for the braided throttle cable please

Thx,

J
Hi,

I don't have a braided throttle cable but I have heater hoses, fuel lines, and vacuum lines. I got it all from Summit Racing. You can just search on "braided hose". Here is an example:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-39690

I would recommend NOT doing braided radiator hoses for 2 reasons, 1) Its really difficult to get the stretch on the hose over the nipple when it is in the fancy anodized hose end, and 2) When the engine torques, if it is too tight, it will rip off your radiator neck. True story. Very sad. I think I cried a little.....

Last edited by scottjamison; 04-02-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:47 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

By the way,

This is a spreadsheet I used for tracking a lot of things. It has parts, costs, and links of the ones I used. It took a lot of digging at times to find these (with a lot of help from this forum as well).

Notice there are different tabs for General, interior, engine, and Notes.
Hopefully it is useful to someone.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
CorvettePlan.xlsx (148.6 KB, 157 views)
Old 04-02-2018, 03:53 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jamess411

Thx,

J
To answer specifically about the throttle cable, I ordered this:
https://www.ecklers.com/corvette/cor...-122255-1.html
Old 04-03-2018, 11:39 AM
Jamess411
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh sorry. I see the confusion now. I thought the picture of the intake n carb was yours. I was talking about the billet end throttle cable in the pic with the bracket that says PARTS FOR SPEED on it.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:51 PM
Kie
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

op what was the determining factor to pick Silversport to source the 5-speed? I’m losing all control with my own C3 build and it’s essentially the last thing to source.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:54 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kie
op what was the determining factor to pick Silversport to source the 5-speed? I’m losing all control with my own C3 build and it’s essentially the last thing to source.
Oh man they were awesome.
I dealt directly with Jeff their president (That is who responds when you ask for a quote). The kit was perfect and their customer service is great.
I went more on product quality and reputation. The price may have been higher than some others but the PerfectFit kit was worth it.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:46 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 844 Likes on 660 Posts

By the way,

This is a spreadsheet I used for tracking a lot of things. It has parts, costs, and links of the ones I used. It took a lot of digging at times to find these (with a lot of help from this forum as well).

Notice there are different tabs for General, interior, engine, and Notes.
Hopefully it is useful to someone.
Nice plan Scott.

Get notified of new replies

To Building my Dream Car - 1968 Corvette

Old 04-05-2018, 01:57 PM
IDS_Bill
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dealt directly with Jeff their president (That is who responds when you ask for a quote). The kit was perfect and their customer service is great.
I went more on product quality and reputation. The price may have been higher than some others but the PerfectFit kit was worth it.
Not to mention that they had great instructions (one mention on the clutch cylinder - mounting bracket should be modified). This is a big deal when you are engineers building a car!
Old 04-05-2018, 06:35 PM
Kie
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks for the tip Scott. These guys at Silver Sport are AWESOME! Jeff was at a car show today but Gene-Gene the Trans-Machine was more than willing to get me sorted out. $4400 bux later all my dreams came true lol. My 5-speed kit ships on Monday to Seattle.

He even saved me some dough (about $5-hundo) by recommending I return my twin-disc fancy overkill clutch unit for something they supply that is more than adequate. He asked all the relevant questions to ensure I got what I needed. You could tell the guy knows his stuff.

Also, I was able to return my 4-speed shifter rebuild kit to Zip. And I no longer have to rebuild my driveshaft since the 5-sp kit comes with it's own.

WOOT
The following users liked this post:
simrokkzz (04-13-2021)
Old 04-05-2018, 07:13 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kie
Thanks for the tip Scott. These guys at Silver Sport are AWESOME! Jeff was at a car show today but Gene-Gene the Trans-Machine was more than willing to get me sorted out. $4400 bux later all my dreams came true lol. My 5-speed kit ships on Monday to Seattle.

He even saved me some dough (about $5-hundo) by recommending I return my twin-disc fancy overkill clutch unit for something they supply that is more than adequate. He asked all the relevant questions to ensure I got what I needed. You could tell the guy knows his stuff.

Also, I was able to return my 4-speed shifter rebuild kit to Zip. And I no longer have to rebuild my driveshaft since the 5-sp kit comes with it's own.

WOOT
Outstanding!!!!!!!
You will love it. It is super nice and like my bro said, its super easy to go in with great instructions.

Congrats! We will have to meet on Alki this summer!
Helping connect you to your Tranny made this whole thread worth it!

Last edited by scottjamison; 04-05-2018 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Building my Dream Car - 1968 Corvette