C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened?

Old 03-30-2018, 03:37 PM
73VetteRay
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What happened?

Went to get gas, and after fill up on the way home, I did some spirited driving. Accelerator got stuck at 3k rpm. Pulled into a parking lot and shut the engine. I checked the carb linkage and gas pedal and both seem fine. As I was checking around the linkage again, I heard a click like something had loosened up. Started the car and no more high rpm; however, the engine now idles very rough like missing cylinders, all not firing. Oil pressure, water temp, and battery showed normal on the gauges. Limped home about a 1 1/2 mile, hoped didn’t damage anything more by that. No oil leaks. Forgot: 73, 350, 4spd. Any thoughts what direction I should go from here? Any comments/advise will be appreciated. One more question for the Tampa folks: Any recommended good mechanic for older Vettes in the Tampa Bay Area? I’m new here.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:45 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Choke fast idle hung open?
Old 03-30-2018, 03:54 PM
73VetteRay
Advanced

Originally Posted by jim2527
Choke fast idle hung open?
Maybe, I checked on the choke side and the vertical rod seems to move ok without binding. Would that cause the rough idle / rough running? Jim I see that you’re in Tampa, any good mechanics that you know off?
Old 03-30-2018, 04:27 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Check that the throttle cable plastic covering hasn't deteriorated to the point where the sleeve hangs up on it. Also, are you certain a floor mat didn't get caught up in the pedal linkage. I know, sounds stupid, but it happens. Good Luck!
(Post a couple pics of your car!)
Old 03-30-2018, 05:18 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Rear throttle plates were open part way and snapped shut later.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:45 PM
73VetteRay
Advanced

Originally Posted by Greg
Check that the throttle cable plastic covering hasn't deteriorated to the point where the sleeve hangs up on it. Also, are you certain a floor mat didn't get caught up in the pedal linkage. I know, sounds stupid, but it happens. Good Luck!
(Post a couple pics of your car!)
Checked that, its ok. The problem i'm having now is the engine idling rough barely. I went out and bought new plugs and installed them in the hope that because the other ones were fowled, the engine would fire and run right. That didn't work, it still runs rough. I have a bad feeling that something else is going on. These old cars are fun while they run right. Unfortunately, I bought without really knowing the history. Hard with old cars. Hoping that its not that bad. The car had 47K miles original documented in Florida. Now I dispute that. Its not a numbers matching car. Everything is, except for the block. If the engine is toast, then ill go and do a crate.
Attached Images   
Old 03-30-2018, 08:51 PM
73VetteRay
Advanced

Originally Posted by '75
Explains the fast stuck idle, but not the rough idle/driving.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:03 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Could, if they are stuck a tiny bit open.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:05 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Reset the mixture screws, turn each one in / out until you get the highest RPM on that side, do both - then open both up 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

If the secondary was partially open when the mixture was set - then it's off.

Check all vacuum hoses for a leak. If you have a leak the car will idle poorly and idle faster.

Also make sure the secondary's close and open freely - no binding.

Last edited by BLUE1972; 03-30-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:55 AM
Sunracer
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Check ignition timing, look inside the distrib for stuck weights, damaged springs
Old 03-31-2018, 06:13 AM
73VetteRay
Advanced

Thanks folks, will check into those things.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:15 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I just opened this thread to find out who was hawking HilLIARy's book...glad to see that's not the case!
Old 03-31-2018, 07:41 AM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

As part of your checking for vacuum leaks, make sure the carb gaskets are good and it is sitting tight on the manifold.
Check vacuum lines to headlights and power brake booster (if applicable).
Fran
Old 03-31-2018, 07:56 AM
76strokervette
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by '75

The secondary throttle plates may not be all the way closed which is why it will not idle correctly. I had this happen years ago. I used K&W carb cleaner to get everything clean and moving properly again. I sprayed the shaft,plates and all the linkages to free everything up.

Last edited by 76strokervette; 03-31-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:51 AM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Grab the distributor cap and try to twist it. Are you sure it wasn't just the hold-down coming loose, and the "stuck" throttle not just the timing being turned temporarily advanced? If it is loose and now retarded, that could explain the lack of an idle and missing.

Could also be something odd in the distributor, such as a condenser wire rubbed through insulation and arching.

Last edited by JoeMinnesota; 03-31-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:01 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,246 Likes on 3,898 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Do as others have suggested. Start with a basic tuneup. check that all your plugs are firing, make sure you have no vacuum leaks, recheck your timing. Check that all your plug wires are connected and that you havent burned through one. Rough running with no loud knocking is actually a good sign, if you blew up your motor you would hear some bad mechanical noises. Old engines are really easy to work on as they dont rely on computers to run and sensors to tell the computer whats going on. Get a can of carb cleaner or starting fluid and spray quick spurts on youvacuum connections and the base of your carb. If the rpms change you found a vaccum leak.

keep us posted
Old 03-31-2018, 02:57 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,324 Likes on 957 Posts

Default Motor mounts

Check your motor mounts. If the mounts are bad, the engine could shift and lock the linkage. When you turn the engine off, the engine goes back to the correct position. Also, if you need an old school mechanic, PM me. I have referred more than a few members to my buddy in Tampa. He has a wicked 70 LT1 and a beautiful 58. Small shop, killer work. Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To What happened?

Old 04-01-2018, 08:54 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 876 Likes on 761 Posts

Ages ago when my throttle got stuck it was a frayed cable within the sleeve. Replaced it.

You may want to consider disconnecting the throttle cable from the carb just to eliminate that from the potential problem list.

A question though: Did you over-rev the engine? If you did not over-rev, and it was running well before, then I would just suspect something at the carb and or linkage connection(s).
Old 04-09-2018, 08:53 AM
73VetteRay
Advanced

Thanks to all for the help. Haven’t been able to follow through on this and respond, but eventually I got to it. With the help of a friend, we started to check things from the block on up:
Compression check= good
Pulled valve covers off= good, oil getting up to rockers and flowing, everything nice and tight and all moving the same.
Ignition= distributor good, cap is good, rotor was good but installed new one while there, checked ohms on all wires and spark getting to plugs all were good, coil was good, had previously installed new plugs and rechecked gap which were good.
Checked vacuum lines= good
That left the carb= checked linkage, choke, looked good. Peeked down at the secondary plates and appeared to be closed. We then fired up the engine and she still stumbled and warmed her up a bit. Brought up the rpms and held it there. Heavy fuel smell, but little by little seemed to run better. Left it idling for a bit and idle became good.
For those that said carb and secondaries getting stuck, I believe that was the case. As it was suggested by a couple here, the secondaries got stuck opened then shut at some point. Don’t know if the float was also messing up. Seems a good reason to send the carb out to be sorted out by the experts. Hopes this helps others with same issues. Thanks to all for the guidance.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:55 AM
73VetteRay
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Check your motor mounts. If the mounts are bad, the engine could shift and lock the linkage. When you turn the engine off, the engine goes back to the correct position. Also, if you need an old school mechanic, PM me. I have referred more than a few members to my buddy in Tampa. He has a wicked 70 LT1 and a beautiful 58. Small shop, killer work. Jerry
Thanks Jerry will send a pm.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What happened?