C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700R4 rebuild question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 11:43 PM
akdale
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 700R4 rebuild question

late 87 700R4. When pressure testing input drum the checkball leaks a bit. Is this ok? Should it be zero leak? I tried cleaning with carb cleaner. Maybe seat it with a drift and hammer?
Old 04-04-2018, 12:10 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

What do you mean by "leaks a bit"? And how much pressure are you applying to it? I don't think any 'ball-and-tapered hole' check valve will completely seal, if significant pressure is applied.

If you are not applying much pressure and it is leaking a lot, you need to inspect the seat for damage or excessive wear.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:13 AM
akdale
Racer

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
What do you mean by "leaks a bit"? And how much pressure are you applying to it? I don't think any 'ball-and-tapered hole' check valve will completely seal, if significant pressure is applied.

If you are not applying much pressure and it is leaking a lot, you need to inspect the seat for damage or excessive wear.
40psi to start. It's not a rushing wind but not a small hiss either.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:36 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you are using air for the test, that's a completely different 'animal'.

The conversion factor for leakage using compressed air, rather than oil, is approximately 7:1. Since you are using 40 psi, that would be the equivalent of applying 280psi of oil for that leak test. The volume of air escaping to atmosphere (assuming normal atmospheric pressure) is representative of that same volume of oil escaping.

I suggest that you lower the pressure to 20 psi. If the leakage is a gentle flow of air from the check valve, it's likely fine to reuse. If it has much force to the flow 3-4 inches away from the outlet, you may have a problem.

P.S. I do not have any specified value for leakage from that check valve. But it will leak some. You might back-flush that check valve to see if there is any debris retained in it.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:16 AM
akdale
Racer

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If you are using air for the test, that's a completely different 'animal'.

The conversion factor for leakage using compressed air, rather than oil, is approximately 7:1. Since you are using 40 psi, that would be the equivalent of applying 280psi of oil for that leak test. The volume of air escaping to atmosphere (assuming normal atmospheric pressure) is representative of that same volume of oil escaping.

I suggest that you lower the pressure to 20 psi. If the leakage is a gentle flow of air from the check valve, it's likely fine to reuse. If it has much force to the flow 3-4 inches away from the outlet, you may have a problem.

P.S. I do not have any specified value for leakage from that check valve. But it will leak some. You might back-flush that check valve to see if there is any debris retained in it.
Well now I had not thought of or heard that. (My first thought is it would seem to depend on the thickness of the liquid (water would leak easier than 50wt oil). I recently asked Dana @ Probuilt and he air tests with a minimum of 75psi with air and often 125psi. I did thoroughly clean the inout drum but yes another blast with carb cleaner is going to happen. Appreciate your input.

Get notified of new replies

To 700R4 rebuild question

Quick Reply: 700R4 rebuild question