C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GEN light blinking

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 09:51 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 308 Posts

Default GEN light blinking

So, the wife and I took the 79 out for about a 200 mile round trip to a winery with a Corvette cruise in this past weekend, and as we neared home, I noticed the generator light randomly blinking for a split second with no consistency, just completely random as to when it happened. I also noticed the volt gauge dipping instantaneously for the same amount of time as the light blinked. We made it home with no problem, and the car started just fine a little while later when I went to pull it back in the garage. I didn't notice the lights dimming when this happened. Does this sound like the alternator might be going out? As a side note, it might have been doing it the entire trip, but I only noticed it at night. I doubt I would have seen it in the daylight if it were happening.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:15 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
So, the wife and I took the 79 out for about a 200 mile round trip to a winery with a Corvette cruise in this past weekend, and as we neared home, I noticed the generator light randomly blinking for a split second with no consistency, just completely random as to when it happened. I also noticed the volt gauge dipping instantaneously for the same amount of time as the light blinked. We made it home with no problem, and the car started just fine a little while later when I went to pull it back in the garage. I didn't notice the lights dimming when this happened. Does this sound like the alternator might be going out? As a side note, it might have been doing it the entire trip, but I only noticed it at night. I doubt I would have seen it in the daylight if it were happening.
Sounds like brushes are just about worn out or a loose connection at the alternator.
The following users liked this post:
C3 4ME (04-24-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 10:25 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 543 Likes on 417 Posts

Sounds like a bad connection to me.
C3 4ME (04-24-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 11:26 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Bubba spliced in a flasher.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:11 AM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by drwet
Sounds like a bad connection to me.
When I had this problem on my 81 that's exactly what it was. The thread for the ground bolt was stripped.
C3 4ME (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 06:46 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Alternators rarely eat brushes. So few amps across them. A rotor, stator or diode usually dies dead, but that built-in regulator can get intermittant. Easy to replace too. Need a stiff pin bigger than a needle smaller than coat hanger to hold brushes in.
C3 4ME (04-24-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 08:37 AM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

I've got the day off today, so was looking forward to taking the Vette out for some fun. I just went out to the garage and hit the key and nothing at all. NOTHING! I got out my multimeter and sure enough, the battery showed 0.0 volts. When we got home the other week, I stopped in the driveway to unload the car and turned it off after our hours long drive. It started right up a half hour later when I went to pull it in the garage, and this morning is the first time I've touched it since then. I've got the battery charging out of the car now, and will take it and have it tested. Then I plan to reinstall in and take the car to have the charging system checked. Will let ya'll know what I find out.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:19 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

ok, I've had 2 different chains test the loose alternator a total of 4 times, and it tested good every time. The battery however would not take a charge. The most I could get after an hour on the charger was .8 volts. It was confirmed at the store that the battery was no good, so for now, I'm going to take the battery from my C10 which is interchangeable with the Vette and put it in the Vette and see what happens.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:48 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 846 Likes on 722 Posts

I recommend you test the car for an excessive parasitic draw since that might have been what killed the battery.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:46 PM
73racevette
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
the battery showed 0.0 volts.

Typically the only way a battery will show 0.0 volts is that it is shorted or damaged inside. Sounds like your battery needs to be replaced. Take you battery down and have it load tested.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:07 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Ok, with a known good battery from my truck in the Vette, of course it started right up, but the GEN light was still flashing. Then, i got out on the interstate and it stayed on, and the volt gauge was just barely below half way. Strangely, as soon as I got off the interstate the gauge went back up, just over half way, but not quite as high as it normally reads. I drove straight to Advance Auto for a system check, and of course the voltmeter was reading right over halfway, and their test showed no fault. Now I need to try to catch the GEN light on/voltmeter showing under half to have it tested. I'm thinking the alternator is dying slowly, because it seems to be getting worse each time I drive.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:59 PM
73racevette
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

sounds like a short, or something as simple as a loose wire on the back of the alternator.

What is the battery voltage when checking across the terminals while it is running? If it is below 14 volts, your alternator or possibly your voltage regulator is not working properly. It should be 14.3 volts or so when running.

If it is below this, your battery is fine and something either in the wiring or the alternator itself is not working. After this, check the voltage as it leaves the alternator while it is running. It should be the 14.3 Volts. If not, then the wiring from the alternator to the battery is probably fine and it is the alternator.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:19 AM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts

I had a similar problem on my 78 a few years back. It was the flexible PCB board in the center gauge panel.

Last edited by LenWoodruff; 05-06-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To GEN light blinking

Quick Reply: GEN light blinking