C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering linkage leaking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 10:05 PM
baby blue 78
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power steering linkage leaking.

I have a 1978 corvette and about 4 years ago I had the garage install a new steering components. Last year I noticed fluid leaking on the garage floor coming from the nut bushing where the metal lines are attached. I took my car to get inspected today and the mechanic says it is still leaking but its very small. He did not install the steering linkage but checked the recorda and I only put 700 mile s on the car since. He is not familiar with these and I am not either but the question is the metal tuvbes going into the connection look 9Thjey are ) bent to make the connection. Is this normal????

He could not find a picture of this online to confirm. I have a manual and trying to find a picture but If anyone with a 1978 can chime in and let me know what theirs looks line I would greatly appreciate it if I cannot find it. Could it be the wrong one or wrong connector or this is how it's to be. He does not want to snug the bolt up cause its such a small leak and does not want to damage it or increase the leak.. I agree! I will shut up now and listen to the experts. Thanks Mark
Old 04-26-2018, 07:19 AM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

I have a '77 but the components are common. The fittings will look like they're oddly angled at the PSCV but that's the way they're drilled. The lines are pre-bent to accommodate the angle.
Leaks from that system are very common. You can drive yourself crazy chasing them. I spent a good amount of time and effort last year to stop my PS leaks. I replaced all four hoses with new. I also used cone shaped copper sealing gaskets at all seven fittings, got them from Grainger, and put anti-seize on the nuts, torqued somewhere around 75-100 in-lbs. No more leaks so far.
The following users liked this post:
baby blue 78 (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 07:35 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,648 Posts

Without pictures, its very difficult to determine what part you are refering too. But it sounds like the fittings going into the PS cylinder. On the end is two lines, and yes they appear to be on a slight angle. Thats normal.
Using a line wrench or flare wrench those nut fittings can be snugged down, carefully.
But first, I would add a dab of thread sealant on all the fittings.

You are one of 2 million C3 owners with P.S. leaks. It will get better. And it will get worse.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 04-27-2018 at 02:21 PM.
baby blue 78 (04-26-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 07:21 AM
Capt. Shark
Team Owner

Location: Into the Mystic And yet, despite the look on my face, you're still talking TN
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Without pictures, its very difficult to determine what part you are refering too. But it sounds like the fittings going into the PS cylinder, on the end is two lines. And yes they appear to be on a slight angle. Thats normal. And the two lines cross each other also.
Using a line wrench or flare wrench those nut fittings can be snugged down, carefully.
But first, I would add a dab of thread sealant on all the fittings.

You are one of 2 million C3 owners with P.S. leaks. It will get better. And it will get worse.

yep
Old 04-27-2018, 09:58 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I agree. Without photos or where the leak is at. It is hard to say if snugging up the line as is needed or not.

If it is at where the line is attached to the power steering control valve or cylinder...I would snug it up.

If the leak is coming from where the rubber hose is crimped onto the line...get a new line.

If it leaking form the pressed on cap at the end of the PSCV....get a new PSCV.

If is dripping from the rod that comes out of the power steering cylinder....then either service that seal or get another cylinder.

DUB
Old 04-27-2018, 11:20 AM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced all p/s components after I got my Vette about 7 years ago. I had leaks after it was done. Tightened all. Still leaked.

About four years ago I switched over to a Borgeson box and a hydroboost. No more leaks and a tighter ratio too.

This may not be what you want to hear but this was a solution that worked for me.

Good Luck
Old 04-28-2018, 08:39 AM
Fredtoo
Pro

Received 293 Likes on 179 Posts

Leaks are good.
All that oil being blown back under the car keeps the other parts from rusting.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:49 PM
gr8t73
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I lived with leaking PSCVs on my 73 and 77 for years. Spent lots of money buying replacing PSCVs some new some rebuilt they all leaked after a period of time. I no longer have the 77 but about four months ago I decided to go ahead and replace the leaking PSCV on the 73 which I purchased new not rebuilt. This go round I purchased a cheap Cardone rebuilt unit from Auto Zone and it's been four months with no leaks. I will never again pay the premium price for a new unit. I'll replace the PSCVs with cheap rebuilds when they begin leaking. The rebuilt units seem to last just as long as the new before they start leaking.
HeadsU.P. (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 02:04 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 782 Posts

I installed power steering on my 68 27 years ago.
It has leaked only twice (23 years later)
Once from a hose which I replaced. The other was where I (yes ME) warped the reservoir body by overtightening the fitting on the back when replacing said hose. Replaced PS pump with one from autozone and that stopped.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredtoo
Leaks are good.
All that oil being blown back under the car keeps the other parts from rusting.
YES...oil is good to keep bare steel from rusting...and that is about it.

Oil attacks the integrity of the rubber suspension components and causes them to FAIL.

And a power steering pump leak will normally drip right down on the lower rear control arm bushing area.

I can clearly see that I think quite differently about this issue and any major oil leak of any type.

Once again..to each his/her own.

DUB
Old 04-28-2018, 05:42 PM
super charged
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8t73
I lived with leaking PSCVs on my 73 and 77 for years. Spent lots of money buying replacing PSCVs some new some rebuilt they all leaked after a period of time. I no longer have the 77 but about four months ago I decided to go ahead and replace the leaking PSCV on the 73 which I purchased new not rebuilt. This go round I purchased a cheap Cardone rebuilt unit from Auto Zone and it's been four months with no leaks. I will never again pay the premium price for a new unit. I'll replace the PSCVs with cheap rebuilds when they begin leaking. The rebuilt units seem to last just as long as the new before they start leaking.

So much for the "you get what you pay for" BS

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering linkage leaking.

Quick Reply: Power steering linkage leaking.