C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete wiring replace

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 11:55 PM
bludorbronc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Complete wiring replace

Am replacing all wiring on a 71.i was wandering if anybody has video taped the job.i think it would make the job easier.thanks for the help.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:14 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

YouTube may have some videos. Start with a section of wiring that is easy to replace. Before you remove a section of wiring take lots of pictures of the section to show how it is routed over/under/around/and through the car ......it will help you put the new sections of wiring in place.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:50 AM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
YouTube may have some videos. Start with a section of wiring that is easy to replace. Before you remove a section of wiring take lots of pictures of the section to show how it is routed over/under/around/and through the car ......it will help you put the new sections of wiring in place.
The front and back are not as hard as you think. You will need to tear the dash apart for that one. Take pictures as you take things apart and order a lamented COLOR wiring diagram.

I got my harnesses from Zip. They are AWESOME!
The following users liked this post:
bludorbronc (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 02:18 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Just a helpful hint as I replaced all the wiring on my 69 last fall. Hang the harnesses up by one end and straighten them out, working from the fuse block/bulkhead connectors. Separate the wires where the break out of the main body of the harness and take all the twists and turns out without kinking them. After that, when you start to lay them in they will be more relaxed and easier to bend or feed thru any places they might need to go.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:16 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
Just a helpful hint as I replaced all the wiring on my 69 last fall. Hang the harnesses up by one end and straighten them out, working from the fuse block/bulkhead connectors. Separate the wires where the break out of the main body of the harness and take all the twists and turns out without kinking them. After that, when you start to lay them in they will be more relaxed and easier to bend or feed thru any places they might need to go.
Good tip. And keep the old one spread out of the floor as you put in the new one. You will reference it multiple times.

Oh and those connections to the back of the tail light housings matter! Mine sheered off so I had to buy new housings.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:28 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by scottjamison
Good tip. And keep the old one spread out of the floor as you put in the new one. You will reference it multiple times.

Oh and those connections to the back of the tail light housings matter! Mine sheered off so I had to buy new housings.
I lay the new harness in on top of the old one- at least the engine and forward light harnesses, then removed one at section at a time and put the new harness right back in. You do need to watch that you keep the break out wires in close to the same spot.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:45 PM
bludorbronc
Advanced

Thanks gentlemen for all your help, but you forget about us guys that just jump in and tear things apart with out thinking.we need more basic directions.like starting out empty and place each piece as it comes.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:35 AM
HT1663WB
Melting Slicks

Received 138 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by bludorbronc
Thanks gentlemen for all your help, but you forget about us guys that just jump in and tear things apart with out thinking.we need more basic directions.like starting out empty and place each piece as it comes.
I did it a couple years ago on my 71. I just gutted the interior, pulled out the old harness and installed the new one. I did the engine harness too. It was pretty easy. Just take some pictures for routing purposes and you shouldn't have an issue. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2018, 10:47 AM
Kyzarsoza
Advanced

I just did a complete rewire a couple months ago with lecture limited harnesses. All the factory wiring had been removed by the PO, so I basically started from scratch. It really wasn't that bad. The aim for your year will have routing instructions. I think it was in UPC 5. Forum members helped too with any questions I had.

The rear harness was the most difficult to me, there is just not much space to work with. Front and engine were the easiest. My dash was completely out so the main harness was pretty easy as well. The hardest part there was routing harness by tach and speedo.

I would suggest hanging the harnesses up so bends fall out. I didn't, but it would have made it easier. I also zip tied my main harness to the interior dash support and labeled each connection before dash reinstall.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:49 AM
Kyzarsoza
Advanced

You should really think about replacing all the interior bulbs while your at it, I got my bulb set from willcox.

Get notified of new replies

To Complete wiring replace

Quick Reply: Complete wiring replace