C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Revving before you shut it down... Why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 11:05 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: Revving before you shut it down... Why? (Cookwithvette)

The reasons are very obvious, it's to let your wife know you are home so her boyfriend has a few seconds to gather his things and run out the back door. :lol:
Old 10-20-2002, 11:10 AM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I asked this same question of a mechanic that I know and trust very much.
He has been racing cars for more years than I have been alive and is a consistent winner. He said it is the worst thing to do for an engine as it floods the cylinders with gas and washes away lubrication.
He feels letting the engine idle normally before shutting down is best for it. Also, revving slings off oil on reciprocating parts by centrifugal force (spelling?) which wouldn't happen normally when the engine is running because more oil would be pumped but since you are shutting down, you are shutting down dry if you rev just before you turn it off.
I don't know if this is true but he knows a hell of a lot more than I ever will and has torn down and built more engines than I can count.
He is still working on cars on a daily basis and will be 94 years old in December.
This guy can listen to an engine and diagnose everything about it. Most of the local guys who race, stop by with the cars in the trailers, they fire them up and he tweaks this and adjusts that and off they go to the races.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:31 PM
Road Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Revving before you shut it down... Why? (Frank75)

I always thought it was a carryover from the "good ol' days" when cars had generators and revving it then shutting off the ignition let it charge the battery a bit without sapping any juice from it.

It didn't make much sense then either.
I am 48 and have been doing it all my life. I started as a teenager because it would put a charge into my battery guaranteeing me I would have enough juice to start when I got into the car again. I still do it with the same feeling 32 years later. :D
Old 10-20-2002, 07:35 PM
Road Racer
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Revving before you shut it down... Why? (ksbunting)

I asked this same question of a mechanic that I know and trust very much.
He has been racing cars for more years than I have been alive and is a consistent winner. He said it is the worst thing to do for an engine as it floods the cylinders with gas and washes away lubrication.
He feels letting the engine idle normally before shutting down is best for it. Also, revving slings off oil on reciprocating parts by centrifugal force (spelling?) which wouldn't happen normally when the engine is running because more oil would be pumped but since you are shutting down, you are shutting down dry if you rev just before you turn it off.
I don't know if this is true but he knows a hell of a lot more than I ever will and has torn down and built more engines than I can count.
He is still working on cars on a daily basis and will be 94 years old in December.
This guy can listen to an engine and diagnose everything about it. Most of the local guys who race, stop by with the cars in the trailers, they fire them
up and he tweaks this and adjusts that and off they go to the races.
Hey ksbunting, Where is this old guy located? I would like to stop by and see him (bring him my car). I live about an hour from you.
Old 10-20-2002, 10:52 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Revving before you shut it down... Why? (Road Racer)

Wilmington, MA
Old 10-21-2002, 12:15 AM
F Bodies
Racer

To go along with a previous response, I to disagree with the revving procedure before shutdown. think about it, not only does it wash the cylinders down, but picture yout oil pan, filled with oil, you then rev the engine which in turn sucks all of the oil from the pan into the upper part of the engine, to then shut it off!!! Why would you want to to that???? If you go to restart the engine, where is all of the oil???? Think about it!!! Like someone else stated, if you like to rev, let it idle about 15 seconds after before you shut it down, your engine will last longer. Remember most engine wear occurs at start-up, you want all of your fluids, especially the oil to be where it is supposed to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Later................................... ........................................ ..Tom
Old 10-21-2002, 12:20 AM
ry
Racer

Default Re: Revving before you shut it down... Why? (lbell101)

LOL - I do the same damn thing. I have no clue why!
Old 10-21-2002, 12:28 AM
Stevo81
Pro

I do it to make sure the alternator fills all the wires with lots of electrons and coulombs. Otherwise the wires will dry out. And starting up a car with empty electrical wiring is real bad for the car. :D
Old 10-21-2002, 09:23 AM
Titanium Rat
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Revving before you shut it down... Why? (Stevo81)

dry/empty wires can destroy a canooter valve on a distributer real quick :)

[Modified by Titanium Rat, 1:24 PM 10/21/2002]
Old 10-21-2002, 10:44 AM
Road Racer
Burning Brakes

Wilmington, MA
Wilmington, MA is a big town. Help me out. If you don't want to mention the guys contact info you can e mail me 1diaz@attbi.com
:hat

Quick Reply: Revving before you shut it down... Why?