C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 - Alternator Issue ?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 07:37 PM
Wolfman1979
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1979 - Alternator Issue ?????

I noticed today that when the car starts, the voltmeter is at 12v and after a couple minutes of driving, it bumps up to 14v. The previous owner told me that he was told that the alternator has a high side and low side. It will stay low until more charge is needed then will go high. I've never heard of that. That's a new one on me if that is correct. In this case, I'm assuming that this may be a high output alternator.

Last edited by Wolfman1979; 06-16-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:38 AM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts

I'd like to know too!
Old 06-17-2018, 01:14 PM
Matt81
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Before I swapped in a CS144 alternator, my original 10SI needed to hit 2000 rpm or so to begin charging. Is that what you are seeing?
Old 06-17-2018, 01:32 PM
Wolfman1979
Advanced

Originally Posted by Matt81
Before I swapped in a CS144 alternator, my original 10SI needed to hit 2000 rpm or so to begin charging. Is that what you are seeing?
It may be something like that. If it just sits there and idles after first starting, then it's only at 12v. I have not paid any attention to rpm's. I also have not noticed if it falls back down to 12v after it bumps to 14v. I can rev it up, but that does not seem to make a difference. It only bumps up after I take off, or at least that is what it seems. Guess I need to look to see what type of alternator I have. Once I'm on the road, then it seems to stay at 14v. Just really weird to me.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:46 AM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

Well, something around 14v is an appropriate output under most circumstances. 12v would generally be a bad thing. So I think you're in good shape right now.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:32 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

That high/low thing is hogwash on a 1979 vehicle. The alternator isn't monitoring the battery or electrical demand so it has no clue if more charge is needed.

Does the alternator (charging) light in the center cluster work properly? It should light with the key on, engine off and then go out when you start the engine.

A varying output does happen on newer vehicles. It is PCM controlled since the PCM and BCM together know loads on system and current driving conditions. It is not a 2 level system, but voltage varying.
The following users liked this post:
SwampeastMike (07-23-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 11:44 AM
Wolfman1979
Advanced

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
That high/low thing is hogwash on a 1979 vehicle. The alternator isn't monitoring the battery or electrical demand so it has no clue if more charge is needed.

Does the alternator (charging) light in the center cluster work properly? It should light with the key on, engine off and then go out when you start the engine.

A varying output does happen on newer vehicles. It is PCM controlled since the PCM and BCM together know loads on system and current driving conditions. It is not a 2 level system, but voltage varying.
This car has a voltmeter. The indication is the output upon starting the vehicle is 12v and stays there and even after revving the engine I do not see a change in voltage. After driving for just a minute or two, the voltage then jumps to 14v which to me indicates the alternator is charging. I've always thought that an alternator charges the system no matter what. By the voltage jumping to 14v after maybe a perceived load on the system seems strange. The car seems to always behave in this manner. I'm just trying to determine if this is a normal reaction for this alternator, which to me doesn't seem correct, or a symptom of a possible failure or intermittent problem.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:15 PM
Wolfman1979
Advanced

Just a follow-up, this appears to be an Ultima 01-0043 remanufactured 63 amp alternator. This just seems to be a standard alternator.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:15 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

I think the voltage regulator in the alternator is on it's way out. It should go to 14 as soon as revs climb on 1st throttle blip, if not at idle as soon as car starts.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:11 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by Wolfman1979
This car has a voltmeter. The indication is the output upon starting the vehicle is 12v and stays there and even after revving the engine I do not see a change in voltage. After driving for just a minute or two, the voltage then jumps to 14v which to me indicates the alternator is charging. I've always thought that an alternator charges the system no matter what. By the voltage jumping to 14v after maybe a perceived load on the system seems strange. The car seems to always behave in this manner. I'm just trying to determine if this is a normal reaction for this alternator, which to me doesn't seem correct, or a symptom of a possible failure or intermittent problem.

So you see no light? There is a light in the center cluster. I believe it's right under the low fuel light. You not mentioning it's there probably means it's burned out or the printed circuit for the center cluster is damaged and not connecting it or the brown wire going to the alternator plug is broken.

Without the light properly connected, the alternator doesn't self excite as soon as it starts rotating hence it doesn't produce the correct 14V when the engine first starts.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 06-19-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:38 PM
Wolfman1979
Advanced

So you see no light? There is a light in the center cluster. I believe it's right under the low fuel light. You not mentioning it's there probably means it's burned out or the printed circuit for the center cluster is damaged and not connecting it or the brown wire going to the alternator plug is broken.

Without the light properly connected, the alternator doesn't self excite as soon as it starts rotating hence it doesn't produce the correct 14V when the engine first starts.
This car has all custom gauges. The printed circuit clusters for both the speedometer/tach and other gauges have been removed. I would think that the voltmeter gauge would be sufficient to replace the light.

Last edited by Wolfman1979; 06-19-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:17 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Now we finally get the whole story. EVERY 1979 Vette came with a voltmeter so pointing out it has a voltmeter means nothing about what gauges are in the car.

The standard 10SI alternator needs a light bulb or resistor connected between ignition power and the #1 terminal. And your thinking is wrong, a voltmeter does not work as a replacement for this light or resistor.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:20 PM
Wolfman1979
Advanced

Now we finally get the whole story. EVERY 1979 Vette came with a voltmeter so pointing out it has a voltmeter means nothing about what gauges are in the car.

The standard 10SI alternator needs a light bulb or resistor connected between ignition power and the #1 terminal. And your thinking is wrong, a voltmeter does not work as a replacement for this light or resistor.
Thanks ! I think I now see from the schematic that the bulb provides a 12v path to term #1 on alternator. If the regulator goes to ground then the bulb lights indicating a faulty regulator. Since I have no bulb, then there is no voltage on term #1. May try to wire in resistor or bulb from the IGN to term #1 on alternator.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:41 PM
Wolfman1979
Advanced

Finally got the light bulb in....same scenario. The bulb comes on at ignition and stays on after starting. Voltmeter indicates 12V, but after a couple of minutes of driving it jumps to 14v and bulb goes out. This sounds like the regulator is flaky in the alternator, but after it jumps to 14V, it stays that way until the car is shut off.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:47 PM
Wolfman1979
Advanced

Problem solved.
I had purchased an indicator light that had a protective diode in it. The diode prevented the ignition voltage from reaching Term #1 of alternator. Replaced light with a standard bulb fixed the problem.
The following users liked this post:
lionelhutz (07-20-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 07:31 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Looks like lionelhultz nailed this one.....I'll thank him for all the forum members that read this thread. Thank You Sir!

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 - Alternator Issue ?????

Quick Reply: 1979 - Alternator Issue ?????