C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Alignment Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 07:49 PM
franjw
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlight Alignment Help

1971 Corvette
My Headlights will not go up to the full open position and the up stop is not installed. The 2 links are stopping the headlights from opening fully. Pictures are attached showing their contact. What am I missing in the adjustment. I tried the in-out and made no progress, The parts appear to be the same for 1968 to 1974 so I do not think I have the wrong parts unless later models were changed. This is a project with some missing parts and missing history. Any help to find the correct adjustment would be appreciated.
Attached Images     
Old 06-17-2018, 10:56 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Headlamp Housing Adjustment 68-82
The following users liked this post:
jasonberkeley (03-08-2021)
Old 06-27-2018, 07:52 PM
franjw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Headlamp Housing Adjustment 68-82
Thanks for the video but checking all points covered in the video I still cannot find the adjustments causing the problem of the 2 links hitting early.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:20 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

6:30 - 6:50 into the video you will find your answer. Some people call it the "W" bracket. The mount holes are actually slots for the simple reason of adjusting the position back and forth (up & down). I usually do the adjustment in car of course with the clevis disconnected. Support the headlight where you want the up travel and then tighten down the bolts under the "W" bracket. Reconnect the clevis and carry on.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:33 PM
franjw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave J
6:30 - 6:50 into the video you will find your answer. Some people call it the "W" bracket. The mount holes are actually slots for the simple reason of adjusting the position back and forth (up & down). I usually do the adjustment in car of course with the clevis disconnected. Support the headlight where you want the up travel and then tighten down the bolts under the "W" bracket. Reconnect the clevis and carry on.
OK I tried that and wound up with the back of the frame binding on the body. Any other ideas?
Old 06-29-2018, 10:16 AM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

OK I tried that and wound up with the back of the frame binding on the body. Any other ideas?
A picture here would do wonders to help us understand exactly where it is binding. When I set up headlights, I always set the housing and door first with the vacuum can & clevis disconnected. Doing it this way allows me to check the full travel of the headlight door for any interference. It is then I connect and adjust the "W" bracket for door height, followed by the clevis connection and adjustment, and then the anti rattle bolts.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:16 PM
franjw
Instructor

Default Head Light Help

Originally Posted by Dave J
A picture here would do wonders to help us understand exactly where it is binding. When I set up headlights, I always set the housing and door first with the vacuum can & clevis disconnected. Doing it this way allows me to check the full travel of the headlight door for any interference. It is then I connect and adjust the "W" bracket for door height, followed by the clevis connection and adjustment, and then the anti rattle bolts.
DAve,
I kept working with the W-Bracket and finally got the right head light opening within 1/16 inch of the left. I am stopping here.
Thanks for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Alignment Help

Quick Reply: Headlight Alignment Help