C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 headlight system weight loss/simplification program

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 07:49 PM
Kie
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts
Default C3 headlight system weight loss/simplification program

I was messing around with my elec lift system making sure everything was adjusted and working properly. I like that “POP” sound when the lights snap into the locked open position.

Anyway. I was fiddling with the brackets/limiters that keep the lights from opening too far. At least I think that is their function. Or possibly they keep the lights from wobbling when they are open.

Holy hell those things are HEAVY. I experimented with just deleting them and I could see no reason not to ‘86 them. The lights function exactly the same and when open they barely wobble at all.

Not as radical as deleting every bit of safety equipment from the rear bumper on my 75 but it all adds up.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:51 PM
Kie
Pro

Sorry guys I’m on my own now

My pile of abandoned 1975 Corvette components is growing indeed
Old 06-21-2018, 09:30 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Yeah, I was amazed at how beefy/heavy those pieces are. A few years back I just copied the basic shape out of 1/4" aluminum (with a few extra holes) and swapped them in.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:46 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Yes, they are heavy but needed. Making them from aluminum is a great idea.
I removed mine years ago only to put them back in.
I could see the light bouncing on large road signs while driving on the highway at night.
Back in they went and are now tight again, no bounce.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:23 AM
Kie
Pro

I don't know guys I logged around 50 miles on the back country farm roads of Snoqualmie Valley tonight in the dark. The lights were not bouncy to me at all. Perhaps a lifetime of riding motorcycles has skewed my idea of proper headlight behavior but whatever the case I'm completely happy with the brackets removed and in the round file.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:38 PM
Kie
Pro

Drove all around bumpy Seattle streets and on/off I-5 and I-90 last nite. No light bounce. Support brackets gone.

I think it’s possible that the Detroit Speed elec conversion holds the lights more rigid when in the open position. Just a theory.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 headlight system weight loss/simplification program

Quick Reply: C3 headlight system weight loss/simplification program