C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine bay cooling

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 07:20 PM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Engine bay cooling

Hey everyone

I want to try and get a cooler engine bay, because after driving some time it's really hot... I mean very very hot!
(It was about 65 degrees outside)
I got a 77 L48 (black colored) vette.
What is 'a normal' engine bay temp for a C3?

Do you guys have any simple tips on how to get more air flow in the engine bay so it cools down more?
Does a 77 Corvette have any factory provisions that ensures extra air flow, because there is no grill installed on the hood like older ones (1973-1976)?

Maybe there are other problems that cause the extreme heat in my engine bay?

I also was thinking of installing a front spoiler extension, because I read it really helps to get the temp down.
https://www.zip-corvette.com/79-l48-...extension.html
What is the best (cheap and easy to work with) material to use when making an extension yourself?

Old 06-27-2018, 10:37 PM
Crimson Thunder
Burning Brakes

Received 445 Likes on 273 Posts

Let me start off by saying that I'm totally jealous of the roads you get to drive your Corvette on.

Secondly, under hood heat control is more about getting the hot air out rather than getting cool air in. You would be surprised what a cowl or L-88 hood can do for cooling temps.

I do like your new lower spoiler. I may try to make one for my car.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:42 AM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crimson Thunder
Let me start off by saying that I'm totally jealous of the roads you get to drive your Corvette on.

Secondly, under hood heat control is more about getting the hot air out rather than getting cool air in. You would be surprised what a cowl or L-88 hood can do for cooling temps.

I do like your new lower spoiler. I may try to make one for my car.
Well... I'm sorry but the clip from the link isn't mine. I posted the link from youtube just for example. I also wan't to make a spoiler extension like his.
But you're right! I'm also jealous of the roads he drives in the movie.
The following users liked this post:
ariba (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 04:36 AM
ariba
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If your are going as a OEM look maybe someone can help. But I did a little restomod I add to my 77 a L88 hood + C7 hood air vent + custom front spoiler + fiberglass bumper I took of the license plate and opened all the front bumper and added C7 Zo6 grill. It helped a lot. Waaaaw what a difference.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:25 AM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ariba
If your are going as a OEM look maybe someone can help. But I did a little restomod I add to my 77 a L88 hood + C7 hood air vent + custom front spoiler + fiberglass bumper I took of the license plate and opened all the front bumper and added C7 Zo6 grill. It helped a lot. Waaaaw what a difference.
I looked up the C7 vent and grill. I believe it would be very good mods to get the engine bay cooler or get more cooler air in but:
-No offence, but installing the C7 vent on my hood would be a step to far from the original look for me personally. I would like to do some mods that don't catch the eye so much.
-Removing the license plate holer between the bumperettes would be a problem for me. I live in in Belgium, so the license plates are obligated in front and back of the car.

Anyway thank you for the info!

I got another idea I was thinking about this morning:
Would it be of any effect if I make two square vents at these two places on the firewall (and install a grill on both holes of course)? (see photo)

Old 06-28-2018, 08:49 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

If your original hood blanket is still intact, rip that crap out of there and put it in the garbage. Your hot engine certainly doesn't need a blanket to keep it warm. It was a noise reduction idea from GM corp.
And no, the removal of that will NOT damage the hood paint, but will allow some heat to escape.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:54 AM
supervette64
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Novusuhu, I agree that our C3s tend to get pretty dang hot under the hood! It seems a lot of air piles up under the hood with no where to go.
I liked your idea to cut the cowl, but that being said, I'm not sure how well it would work. The cowl area at the base of the windshield is a high pressure area (thus how "cowl-induction" intakes work). The reason the C7 style vents work is the area just aft of the nose is a low pressure area. This essentially sucks the air out. I suspect the cowl area, being high pressure, would/could prevent air from escaping.. or perhaps even allow some back flow into the hood area, perhaps making the problem even worse!
Check out this CFD of a NASCAR, which shows the low pressure area roughly where the C7 vent would be, and the high pressure area at the base of the windshield.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:24 PM
mrichi
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by supervette64
Hey Novusuhu, I agree that our C3s tend to get pretty dang hot under the hood! It seems a lot of air piles up under the hood with no where to go.
I liked your idea to cut the cowl, but that being said, I'm not sure how well it would work. The cowl area at the base of the windshield is a high pressure area (thus how "cowl-induction" intakes work). The reason the C7 style vents work is the area just aft of the nose is a low pressure area. This essentially sucks the air out. I suspect the cowl area, being high pressure, would/could prevent air from escaping.. or perhaps even allow some back flow into the hood area, perhaps making the problem even worse!
Check out this CFD of a NASCAR, which shows the low pressure area roughly where the C7 vent would be, and the high pressure area at the base of the windshield.

I also have the same extension on my 79 Vette , it did a great job of reducing the engine temperature
Old 06-29-2018, 12:11 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Cowl and L88 hoods let cold air in while moving, you can clearly see this on cars with EFI installed. Since you have a 77 you could replace the factory fender vette like the ones from early cars and it wouldnt be as noticeable something like this

Old 06-29-2018, 12:28 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

I agree with Kacyc3 although adding 69 louvers to your car sounds a bit extreme without some airflow or temp testing in that area.

I have a 69 but with a high rise hood and made some temp measurements two years ago with some temp monitors I found on eBay. No on/off switch but these things are still in my drawer and working. Back to the point, you may want to remove any sealing at the top of the radiator surround to get some air flowing over the radiator. That is my situation.

Here's the post

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-my-69-a.html

Out of curiosity I may try to monitor the temps down by the louvers some day. Easy enough to do

Last edited by ignatz; 06-29-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:20 PM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ariba
Do you have a picture of your custom front spioler?
Did you make it yourself?
What material did you use?
Old 06-29-2018, 10:18 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Just curious. Have you checked your spark/timing curve? A lazy/retarded curve will cause increased heat production and transfer into the engine compartment.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:24 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

my car was missing the air dam so I used 20 ga sheet steel and just made an air damn....nothing fancy just a 90* break under the radiator it worked amazingly
Old 06-30-2018, 04:56 AM
Bloodzone
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

you may want to remove any sealing at the top of the radiator surround to get some air flowing over the radiator.
I did this last week and it dropped my temp at filter about 3-5 F. I know this because I have a temp gauge on back firewall and also monitor my air temp with my EFI controller. Both have always been within 2F of each other. Now the filter temp is up to 5F lower than before. I'm also running a open stinger scoop that lets alot of air in.

Last edited by Bloodzone; 06-30-2018 at 04:57 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:38 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bloodzone
I did this last week and it dropped my temp at filter about 3-5 F. I know this because I have a temp gauge on back firewall and also monitor my air temp with my EFI controller. Both have always been within 2F of each other. Now the filter temp is up to 5F lower than before. I'm also running a open stinger scoop that lets alot of air in.
Has it affected your coolant temp any?
Old 06-30-2018, 07:45 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Originally Posted by ignatz
I agree with Kacyc3 although adding 69 louvers to your car sounds a bit extreme without some airflow or temp testing in that area.

I have a 69 but with a high rise hood and made some temp measurements two years ago with some temp monitors I found on eBay. No on/off switch but these things are still in my drawer and working. Back to the point, you may want to remove any sealing at the top of the radiator surround to get some air flowing over the radiator. That is my situation.

Here's the post

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-my-69-a.html

Out of curiosity I may try to monitor the temps down by the louvers some day. Easy enough to do
I cant give you temp readings but I can tell you that recessed area in the factory vents is much hotter after I drive my car, my theory is the bigger vents would allow air out faster and help under hood temps.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:10 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

How about opening up the lower fender duct to promote some outward flow.....the opening for this is quite narrow, and I think opening it would help.
A member on the board has done some under hood temperature monitoring, and if I remember correctly he made some modifications and took it from a cruising under hood temperature of around 140 to about 90 degrees......(don't hold me to those temps)

Get notified of new replies

To Engine bay cooling

Old 06-30-2018, 08:20 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Originally Posted by sstocker31
How about opening up the lower fender duct to promote some outward flow.....the opening for this is quite narrow, and I think opening it would help.
A member on the board has done some under hood temperature monitoring, and if I remember correctly he made some modifications and took it from a cruising under hood temperature of around 140 to about 90 degrees......(don't hold me to those temps)
details/build thread/username
Old 06-30-2018, 11:38 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Here Ya' go....everything about cooling down an engine bay (and interior). Click onto the link below...…………...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rior-heat.html
The following users liked this post:
CA-Legal-Vette (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 08:43 AM
Bloodzone
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

Has it affected your coolant temp any?
Yes. Engine temp is up about 10F on the highway but is the same with electric fans on. But my engine runs cool and needed to be a little higher. So if your engine runs on the hot side this might not be a good idea for you.

Last edited by Bloodzone; 07-01-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine bay cooling