C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quality Ignition Parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 10:50 PM
73BBVette
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Quality Ignition Parts

This craps getting old. This cap has less than 1000 miles on it. I was out test driving a new carb, when it started missing terribly. Thank goodness I was only 10 miles from home. Either my car has some sort of electrical gremlins, or these parts are just junk right out of the box. I’m now on my third cap and rotor in less than 2 years. 🤨
Old 06-27-2018, 11:08 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Might that have been procured from "The Zone"???
The following users liked this post:
73racevette (06-28-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 11:36 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

The center coil conductor should not have any weight on it other than the rotor
Old 06-28-2018, 08:46 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Napa
73racevette (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 08:59 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,635 Posts

If all three units came from the same supplier, then yes they are suspected quality. If all three are different brands / suppliers, YOUR system is suspect. I wonder if your coil under the cap is running unusually hot for some reason? Not grounded properly? Faulty spring button? Rubber washer in place under the coil? IDK
Old 06-28-2018, 09:29 AM
73BBVette
Instructor

The first cap and rotor appeared to be generic that came with the HEI unit. Used unit off of eBay. Next was an Echlin from Napa, this one was from Oreillys......don’t remember the brand. Improper grounding is something I hadn’t thought about. The previous owner hacked up a lot of the wiring at the firewall in an attempt to splice in an after market MSD unit. It ran poorly, so I replaced with standard HEI unit. Did my best to straighten out the wiring to get the right connectors to connect to the cap. Thought I had it because the car runs good and the tach functions as it should. The tang on the rotor looks burned as well, and I know there’s a recommended clearance, but I’ve never attempted to check it. Not sure how you would. And I’ve never bent the tang, just installed as is out of the box. I put another cap and rotor on yesterday evening......back to running good again.��

Last edited by 73BBVette; 06-28-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:56 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

That cap doesnt appear to be using brass for the contacts, How about an Accel cap and rotor?
https://www.holley.com/products/igni...ors/parts/8122
73BBVette (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 04:23 PM
73racevette
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

You didn't mention the brand at Oreily's. I have stuck with purely AC Delco or Holley for years due to this very issue. There may be a few other brands that are good too. Unfortunately while Accel used to be a great brand, I hear their quality has gone down in recent years and is basically the foreign brand for Holley these days. Not sure if that is true or not.

I have replaced too many brakes, alternators, starters, etc with parts from NAPA, Autozone, OReillys, etc. Their "guarantee" is not worth much if you have to replace the part 5 times.

Stick with the best quality, genuine AC Delco cap from wherever you wish to buy it from. Yes, you will likely pay more, but you hopefully wont have to replace it again anytime soon.

For the HEI cap:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=940&jsn=940

Last edited by 73racevette; 06-28-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:26 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

MSD or Mallory
Old 06-28-2018, 09:03 PM
Milan454
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Ever hook up an inductive probe to see how many KV traveling to the wires? Thats where I would start.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:30 AM
73BBVette
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestions. Most of these caps look like molded plastic and are thin. I believe the originals were Bakelite and much heavier. I’m going to try and find one of those, and If I still have issues, then it’s an electrical issue.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:53 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by 73BBVette
Thanks for the suggestions. Most of these caps look like molded plastic and are thin. I believe the originals were Bakelite and much heavier. I’m going to try and find one of those, and If I still have issues, then it’s an electrical issue.
MSD caps are Dupont ® Rynite

DuPont™ Rynite® modified polyethylene terephthalate (PET) resin is well-matched to applications requiring durable electrical and electronic performance such as coil forms and electrical encapsulation, and offers a high-gloss finish. Its lightweight, glass-reinforced composition provides dimensional stability, making it a prime candidate for the replacement of die-cast metals and thermosets. This stiff, UV-resistant polymer offers a balance of thermal, mechanical and chemical properties.

73BBVette (06-30-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 08:08 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Originally Posted by 73BBVette
The first cap and rotor appeared to be generic that came with the HEI unit. Used unit off of eBay. Next was an Echlin from Napa, this one was from Oreillys......don’t remember the brand. Improper grounding is something I hadn’t thought about. The previous owner hacked up a lot of the wiring at the firewall in an attempt to splice in an after market MSD unit. It ran poorly, so I replaced with standard HEI unit. Did my best to straighten out the wiring to get the right connectors to connect to the cap. Thought I had it because the car runs good and the tach functions as it should. The tang on the rotor looks burned as well, and I know there’s a recommended clearance, but I’ve never attempted to check it. Not sure how you would. And I’ve never bent the tang, just installed as is out of the box. I put another cap and rotor on yesterday evening......back to running good again.��
If the "tang" you are talking about is the center contact on the rotor there should not be clearance between it and the center contact in the cap. There should be contact. If there is clearance you will see just what you have. A melted cap from the spark jumping across the gap which creates heat.

Tom

Old 07-07-2018, 07:39 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky65
If the "tang" you are talking about is the center contact on the rotor there should not be clearance between it and the center contact in the cap. There should be contact. If there is clearance you will see just what you have. A melted cap from the spark jumping across the gap which creates heat.

Tom

To the OP, is the rubber "gasket" in place, between the base of the distributor cap and the bottom side of the coil? Does it have a good coating of dielectric grease on both sides?
Old 07-07-2018, 12:28 PM
73BBVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sky65 [img]images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/img]

[img]images/smilies/cheers2.gif[/img]
Tom
[img]images/smilies/iagree.gif[/img]

To the OP, is the rubber "gasket" in place, between the base of the distributor cap and the bottom side of the coil? Does it have a good coating of dielectric grease on both sides?
Those are good questions. I can’t remember if there was a gasket or not between the coil and the cap. I will check and make sure with the new one. I’ve never made any adjustment to the center tang on the rotor. I suppose it could be bent upward a tad to make sure it contacted the coil button.

Get notified of new replies

To Quality Ignition Parts

Quick Reply: Quality Ignition Parts