C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless Sleeved Calipers

Old 07-03-2018, 07:00 PM
cjkirby55
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stainless Sleeved Calipers

My 77 only has one sleeved caliper. I've looked for kits to do them myself with no luck in finding any. Is it smart/safe to do it myself or is there a reason I have only found already sleeved calipers?
Old 07-04-2018, 08:19 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Unless you're set up to machine caliper bores, it's easier to purchase a set of sleeved calipers from the aftermarket providers.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 07-04-2018 at 08:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cjkirby55 (07-04-2018)
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

My thoughts are the previous owner only replace a caliper that was leaking. Unless that one caliper was fitted with O ring type replacement seals and pistons a stock kit should be able to rebuild. Some if not all the others may have been replaced with Raybestos or other replacment brands without sleeves.

After having my car for over 30 years I've been down the sleeved path, o-ring seals and after all that, I'm in favor of the aluminum replacement calipers from Wilwood. Yes more cost maybe but if you intend to keep and use the car that the route I would go.
cjkirby55 (07-04-2018)
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

The process to install stainless steel sleeves in these brake calipers involves machining the piston bores to accommodate the new sleeve. This is why you do not find any DIY kits. Your options are to buy already sleeved calipers OR you can send out your originals to have them sleeved.
cjkirby55 (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 02:13 PM
cjkirby55
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, I figured there was a reason I wasn't seeing them. I've already put Wilwood's on my Suburban and I really like them but they didn't fit under the 15" wheels. I'd like to stick with the rally wheels for as long as I can. Rebuild/o-ring kits are pretty reasonable so I may go that route until I'm ready to upgrade the entire system.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

If your calipers are leaking, make sure you inspect the piston bores closely after tearing them down. If there are ANY pits in the walls of any of the bores you can rest assured they will leak again....regardless of whether you install o-ring seals or lip seals. Old brake fluid will contain moisture, and mixed with the muck that collects in the caliper bores you have the perfect formula for pitted bores. Those bores need to be absolutely defect free. You only want to do that job once, right-o?!!
Old 01-03-2020, 07:45 AM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

i posted in 2016 and replaced them in 2012. the only answer for me was the Lonestar calipers.i was able to replace them in my sleep i changed them out so many times,my car sits too but no issues since.btw switched to ceramic pads and noted a tremendous difference in stopping power.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:06 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,890 Likes on 2,562 Posts

Originally Posted by cjkirby55
Thanks guys, I figured there was a reason I wasn't seeing them. I've already put Wilwood's on my Suburban and I really like them but they didn't fit under the 15" wheels. I'd like to stick with the rally wheels for as long as I can. Rebuild/o-ring kits are pretty reasonable so I may go that route until I'm ready to upgrade the entire system.
The Wilwood's are a direct replacement for the stock calipers and fit with Rally wheels......

Jebby
Old 01-03-2020, 10:37 AM
itsforfun
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The root of the problem is neglected brake maintenance. As Red said, ANY pits in the walls or any dirt in the caliper will eventually break the seal-to-bore surfaces and create leaking fluid and air/moisture entering the caliper and brake system. Stainless sleeves came in vogue because rebuilders had to mill out the bores to remove the pits and stainless sleeves installed to restore the original bore dimensions so original pistons and seals could be used. O-rings were developed as "improvements" to the lip seals, and some swear by them- others don't. Maintenance is essential regardless. Flushing the fluid every few years will preserve the integrity of the system by removing fluid contaminated with moisture (yes it gets in) and any foreign matter in the fluid. DIY rebuilding is not difficult, but, in my opinion, rebuilding is best left up to the professionals. It's really no fun installing calipers.
jb78L-82 (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 01:37 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,549 Posts

Originally Posted by cjkirby55
My 77 only has one sleeved caliper. I've looked for kits to do them myself with no luck in finding any. Is it smart/safe to do it myself or is there a reason I have only found already sleeved calipers?
how do you know only one sleeved? Are some leaking? If not why mess with it?
i would go the rebuild yourself route after inspection. For sure if no other issues just bleed fresh fluid..
good luck

Last edited by interpon; 01-03-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Stainless Sleeved Calipers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stainless Sleeved Calipers