C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Power window regulator

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 09:00 PM
C3FIXER
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Installing Power window regulator

I have been trying to re-install the power wondow regulator but having a really difficult time. I set everything up in the correct positions on thr floor then manage to get everything inside the door. From there on it is a battle trying to get the window bolted to the top horizontal track. There has to be a sequence that I am missing. There is a video on You Tube but it has a lot of gaps. I am thinking maybe I should attack this installation starting from the bottom horizontal track and move upward.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:13 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Went through this year before last. Definately a fiddley job. I’ll see if I can find that thread.

Found it:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...regulator.html

Last edited by CA-Legal-Vette; 07-06-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:16 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Default vette

Not sure what year car you have but it looks similar to my 69. I messed around an entire day trying to attach the glass to the motor assembly and got no where. Here's what I did:
Glass was removed.
Set the motor assembly in the door
Attached my charger to the unit and brought the track down
Attached window track to the power motor and rollers.
Installed glass in door
Raised roller arms until front screw hole aligned with track and set screw
Raised window almost all the way to align the rear track screw hole and attach..
Done. Entire process took 25 min.
Now this process was for an early build 69 which still had the 68 version window. This unit has the curved bottom glass and is attached to a metal plate. I have seen some you tube videos where the straight bottom windows late 69 and up were put in bt nosing down the front of the window to attach first and then going to the rear..

Hope this helps for whatever year car you have!

RVZIO

Old 07-06-2018, 05:52 PM
C3FIXER
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Went through this year before last. Definately a fiddley job. I’ll see if I can find that thread.

Found it:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...regulator.html
Wow I have received a lot of great advise on my '77 but this morning I was refreshed from all yesterdays heat and humidity (Houston TX), and managed to get the rear slide roller ino the Top Horizointal track and after many attemps to get the assembly lined up I was able to finally bolt everything up except for one hole at the bottom, could never get it connected. There are two holes at the top for the regulator but the one at the bottom was out of position so I left it alone. It looks like the motor is designed to float since the cover plate has a spring to absorb any shock. Bottom line I got the window to move up and down but it needs some alignment. I am short on patience and this project has humbled me in more ways than I can explain. I had a '74 in 2000 and rebuilt the rear suspension, diff, brakes, shocks, installled a dual plane intake with an electronic distributor oh yeah and also replaced the trailing arms. I have to say rebuilding the power window has been at the top of the list for getting my *** kicked.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The window motor does not float..It MUST be held securely to the regulator. And properly installed also...not just bolted to the regulator
AS for the cover plate that is held down by three bolts when installing the window motor. to the regulator itself......there is no spring on the cover plate. It has a special bushing in it to make sure the gear on the motor stays where it needs to OR..it will eat the teeth right off of your new regulator.

How the gear on the regulator actually is positioned to the gear on the motor itself is important. I rarely can just bolt a motor up to a new regulator and it be prefect. I always need to tweak it in some manner to get the gear on the regulator to be perpendicular to the teeth of the motor and not at an angle. I ahve also encountered that the amount of depth the teeth engage with each other requires a bit of tweaking or it can wipe out the teeth due to a lack of contact surface area. I have replaced new regulators that someone else installed that showed that when I took them a part...the tips of the teeth of the gears were all that was making contact....so ..no wonder why it failed.

Male sure you have all three bolts that hold the regulator to the door installed. It is common that a new regulator may take a little bit of tweaking on the lower bracket to get that screw to be able to be installed. Leaving it out is putting to much stress on the two bolts you have installed...and in time...they can loosen up.

Also...due to not having the bottom regulator bolt installed. it will allow the regulator to move in and out...which just escalates a problem in the future.

The spring on the regulator is not for shock. .it applies upward force to aid the motor in raising the glass due to the weight of the door glass itself. Much like the counter weights for an elevator...they are they so the motor can do its job but have to do all of the lifting. But GM used spring instead of a weight.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Installing Power window regulator

Quick Reply: Installing Power window regulator