C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with power window control, 1978

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 01:22 AM
dant849
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with power window control, 1978

My 78 Power Window Control on the passenger side had stopped working. I removed the right side of the console and where the wiring harness with the piece that has the contacts fits up into the toggle it has become dislodged. When I hold it up in there it will go up and down. Is this supposed to be a one piece deal or is there a way too reattach it? Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Old 07-07-2018, 12:16 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dant849
My 78 Power Window Control on the passenger side had stopped working. I removed the right side of the console and where the wiring harness with the piece that has the contacts fits up into the toggle it has become dislodged. When I hold it up in there it will go up and down. Is this supposed to be a one piece deal or is there a way too reattach it? Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Sound like the connector has lost it's integrity, I do believe you can splice in a new one.
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...-right-or-left
It says out of stock, but most vendors will carry this item.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:09 PM
dant849
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlackC3vette
Sound like the connector has lost it's integrity, I do believe you can splice in a new one.
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...-right-or-left
It says out of stock, but most vendors will carry this item.

Thank you! Looks like it may be a difficult item to locate...
Old 07-07-2018, 02:18 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dant849
Thank you! Looks like it may be a difficult item to locate...
Call Paragon, part #14333 and see if they have them in stock.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:46 PM
dant849
Advanced

Call Paragon, part #14333 and see if they have them in stock.
thanks, I will!
Old 07-08-2018, 07:18 AM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts

The window toggle switch has three prongs. These slide into three brass lined holes in the switch that has become dislodged. I understand you to say that you have pushed the dislodged connector back on the three prongs. Now you push up on the connector and the window works.

if I understand you correctly I think I would suggest replacing the window toggle switch. The connector is a non movable part and other than maybe corrosion on the brass parts I can't see why it would fail. The switch on the other hand does move and the cam inside that switch can fail. When you push up on the connector you could be really helping the switch make contact. Wilcox has a video showing how to repair these switches.

been through this several times. Took apart the switches and did the repair. Worked for a while. Put new cheap switches in. Worked for a while. Put new good switches in and works over two years now.
The following users liked this post:
dant849 (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 08:20 AM
dant849
Advanced

Originally Posted by biackbenz
The window toggle switch has three prongs. These slide into three brass lined holes in the switch that has become dislodged. I understand you to say that you have pushed the dislodged connector back on the three prongs. Now you push up on the connector and the window works.

if I understand you correctly I think I would suggest replacing the window toggle switch. The connector is a non movable part and other than maybe corrosion on the brass parts I can't see why it would fail. The switch on the other hand does move and the cam inside that switch can fail. When you push up on the connector you could be really helping the switch make contact. Wilcox has a video showing how to repair these switches.

been through this several times. Took apart the switches and did the repair. Worked for a while. Put new cheap switches in. Worked for a while. Put new good switches in and works over two years now.
Great info, many thanks!!
Old 07-08-2018, 12:28 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

From your original post, it sounded like the connector needed to be reattached to the switch. If this is the case than the friction contact or force fit of the connector onto the switch prongs is not doing its job.These connectors don't have movable parts as the switch does but the connection is totally dependent on a tight fit which you described as not there and needed re-attaching. This is a separate issue from the switch malfunctioning. Before buying a new switch, I would remove the connector and check the old one with an ohmmeter. If it works without putting pressure on it or squeezing it, try some electrical cleaner on the contacts. If the connector will not stay tight on the switch prongs, you need a new one. I soldered mine and used shrink wrap, no butt connectors.
As stated by biackbenz, if the switch needs replacing, get a good quality switch. It is very frustrating to buy a new switch and have it only last 3 months and then be back to a window that won't work.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:37 PM
dant849
Advanced

From your original post, it sounded like the connector needed to be reattached to the switch. If this is the case than the friction contact or force fit of the connector onto the switch prongs is not doing its job.These connectors don't have movable parts as the switch does but the connection is totally dependent on a tight fit which you described as not there and needed re-attaching. This is a separate issue from the switch malfunctioning. Before buying a new switch, I would remove the connector and check the old one with an ohmmeter. If it works without putting pressure on it or squeezing it, try some electrical cleaner on the contacts. If the connector will not stay tight on the switch prongs, you need a new one. I soldered mine and used shrink wrap, no butt connectors.
As stated by biackbenz, if the switch needs replacing, get a good quality switch. It is very frustrating to buy a new switch and have it only last 3 months and then be back to a window that won't work.
Thanks! The switch works, it's just separate from the connector as you described. I'll gonna try to tighten up the fit if I can. Worst case is a new switch, which really isn't all bad..I appreciate the help!
Old 07-08-2018, 09:50 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

The original wiring has ALL the power run through the switch itself was a bad design- but was probably used because it was inexpensive.

The replacement switches have no where near the current capacity of the OEM switches-I'd recommend rewiring the power windows with relays- to take the load off the power window switch-

Right side -the relays have been added- left side is OEM wiring

Old 07-08-2018, 11:59 PM
dant849
Advanced

Originally Posted by Richard454
The original wiring has ALL the power run through the switch itself was a bad design- but was probably used because it was inexpensive.

The replacement switches have no where near the current capacity of the OEM switches-I'd recommend rewiring the power windows with relays- to take the load off the power window switch-

Right side -the relays have been added- left side is OEM wiring

thank you, good advice and the diagram is very helpful. Thanks again!
Old 07-09-2018, 01:57 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Here is the switch rebuild video.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with power window control, 1978

Quick Reply: Help with power window control, 1978