Steering column spline - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Steering column spline

Old 07-12-2018, 01:12 AM
captlloyd

Default Steering column spline

I have a C3 Steering column and the spline and shaft has slid all the way up into the column with about an inch and a half sticking out of the lower end. I canít get the shaft to extend down into the steering box area. It will move up but not down. Any solutions?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:27 AM
kansas123
CF Senior Member

Sounds like your column has collapse a bit. I don't know the solution but I'm sure someone will come along soon with one. Welcome to the Forum Captain! Would be helpful to know year of car and whether it has standard or tilt/telescopic steering and whether it is OEM. Meanwhile, a guy named Jim Shea is a member here and an expert on steering issues. And you can read more here: http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/

Good Day

Last edited by kansas123; 07-12-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:50 AM
BBCorv70
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
I have a C3 Steering column and the spline and shaft has slid all the way up into the column with about an inch and a half sticking out of the lower end. I canít get the shaft to extend down into the steering box area. It will move up but not down. Any solutions?
There was a thread covering this issue recently...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...a-special.html
The Following User Says Thank You to BBCorv70 For This Useful Post:
captlloyd (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 09:31 PM
doorgunner
Doorgunner's '68 Project
Support Corvetteforum!

I had a similar problem while replacing thr rag joint. I used a dead-blow hammer to force the splined shaft into the column in order to replace the r/j. I could not re-extend the splined shaft to engage the new rag joint. The lower bear had seized on the corroded splined shaft and would not allow the shaft to be extended. I disassembled the entire column/sanded-cleaned-polished the outer and inner shafts/replace the lower bearing and applied a light coat of grease to all internal metal parts.

The splined shaft extended easily into the rag joint coupling with the tap of a plastic-tipped hammer after the cleaning.
The Following User Says Thank You to doorgunner For This Useful Post:
captlloyd (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 10:50 PM
captlloyd

Default Steering shaft

Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
I had a similar problem while replacing thr rag joint. I used a dead-blow hammer to force the splined shaft into the column in order to replace the r/j. I could not re-extend the splined shaft to engage the new rag joint. The lower bear had seized on the corroded splined shaft and would not allow the shaft to be extended. I disassembled the entire column/sanded-cleaned-polished the outer and inner shafts/replace the lower bearing and applied a light coat of grease to all internal metal parts.

The splined shaft extended easily into the rag joint coupling with the tap of a plastic-tipped hammer after the cleaning.
Thanks for the info. What does taking the column apart involve?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering column spline

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: