C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981, i need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 11:17 AM
81vetteran
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981, i need help

hey guys i recently purchased a 1981 corvette, it had been in storage for multiple years. checked everything out, filled it with fresh gas and took it for a ride. heres my problem... everytime i hit a decent bump in the road it shuts off,completly dies, like i turned the key off. usually starts right back up but the other day it wouldnt start again. any info on this problem id greatly appriciate
Old 07-13-2018, 11:31 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It would guess it would have to do with power to the distributor cap. Many times the connector clip gets snapped off and they can simply fall out or work themselves loose and then fall out.

ALSO..at the back of your passenger valve cover...you will see the wiring harness from your starter that routes up and connects to the main engine wiring harness. This connector will have up to 6 wires in it. This connector is known to get dirty and go bad and THAT connection is also what is providing the power to your rest of the car. So..if you separate it...the car will not work at all electrically.

And you can also have loose connections at your starter also.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
81vetteran (07-13-2018)

Quick Reply: 1981, i need help