C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Super Competition Sidetube Slip-in Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 05:14 PM
tviscomi
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Hooker Super Competition Sidetube Slip-in Mufflers

Question for any of you that are running the Hooker Super Competition Sidetube Slip-in Mufflers. After installation in the side-pipe(s) there is about 1/4 inch of play forward and back and it rattles like a SOB. There was no packing or anything else in the box when I received these. I intend on just dropping a couple of beads to tack them to the side pipe, but was wondering if anyone else has/had this issue?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:07 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

They are supposed to fit snug in the pipe. When I changed from chrome pipes to stainless version, I had the same issue. I slightly bent the outer edges of the inserts until they snugged up.
The following users liked this post:
tviscomi (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 06:40 AM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

The header, in theory, should slide into the tube far enough to capture the insert but most often does not. You can tweak the edges of the insert and tighten it up but when you hit the brakes hard the insert will slide forward and rattle. Look at the thread below and go to post #24. This was my solution. After I posted these pictures I did detect a slight rattle on the right side and have since put a screw in the rear of each tube. I have driven over 5000 miles and have not had a screw loosen yet. I do check the periodically to be sure.

Side pipe picture
The following users liked this post:
tviscomi (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 07:00 AM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

I didn't have that issue. I did tweak the edges on both ends to minimize any movement across the length of the insert. I think if you only do this to one end, its easier for them to work loose.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:04 AM
tviscomi
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks guys! I just wanted to ensure that I wasn't going crazy or if there was some sort of packing missing.

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker Super Competition Sidetube Slip-in Mufflers

Quick Reply: Hooker Super Competition Sidetube Slip-in Mufflers