C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borgeson steering install on my 74

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 08:33 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Received 354 Likes on 265 Posts

Mitty, would care to describe your before and after driving experience ?

MTIA

DC3
Old 08-21-2018, 08:45 AM
Mitty
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DorianC3
Mitty, would care to describe your before and after driving experience ?

MTIA

DC3
Hi, before I was finding there was lots of play in the steering wheel, way too much movement before the car actually responded, so I was constantly chasing it, correcting etc.
After, the steering input is instant, closer lock to lock, just better, no more drifting down the road.
I’ve yet to get the caster sorted, my upper control arms are maxed out already, so I need to replace the arms or arm rods for offset ones, so I can dial in more caster. Not sure how to go about this yet, need to do some more research into the options. Once done it can only get better.
The following users liked this post:
DorianC3 (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 09:21 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,338 Posts

I used a Flaming River u-joint, and my horn still works (good thing, too, I just used it the other day to prevent a clueless driver from backing into me)

I also used the brace. Steering is much more direct now, but left turns are limited by rubbing on the steering box mounting bolts. The brace makes it a bit worse.

I, too, need more caster. Steering is precise, but light.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:29 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

(I am in Belgium so this is particularly helpful for me to watch)

Also on same wave-length. I also was planning to go Borgeson, add caster, and replace all my bushings that are seriously

I was planing on doing my bushings and increasing the caster while I was at it first. TBH, my rubber bushings look so deteriorated that a Borgeson would probaly still feel very vague.

Last edited by DorianC3; 08-21-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:38 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

And, same here - I have yet to come up with the most cost effective way to increase caster with or without the new bushings.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:32 PM
Black04Vert
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VCuomo
Does the rag joint included in the Borgeson kit have the embedded mesh?
My borgeson rag joint does not have the embedded mesh.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:37 PM
Mitty
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

So, I’ve ordered a pair of moog offset upper control arm shafts. If I install these, with the current shims put back in the same place, how will this affect the caster?
Old 11-01-2020, 07:01 PM
DHer67
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Thanks for the original post on Borgeson steering box install

Thanks for this post! I've been researching the steering box for quite a while now, and finally went ahead with the install. Opportunity presented itself as my engine had to be removed to get rebuilt. That's another story. The Borgeson instructions are very limited, so I used this post as a photo guide there's lots of other posts out there, but this one has great step by step instructions. I have an extremely tight space to work in. The garage is just a little bit wider than the car. With the engine out I was able to jack up the front end and sit in the engine bay and do the work from there. I had no issues with leaking gaskets or fittings that didn't work. I did have to massage my brake lines just a little bit to get the box to fit. Borgeson box is significantly larger than the original Saginaw. Seems to be a much cleaner design. I haven't fired it up yet as I don't have the engine reinstalled. I hope I don't have to dent thr new OBX headers too much to get them in as well.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:23 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by DHer67
Thanks for this post! I've been researching the steering box for quite a while now, and finally went ahead with the install. Opportunity presented itself as my engine had to be removed to get rebuilt. That's another story. The Borgeson instructions are very limited, so I used this post as a photo guide there's lots of other posts out there, but this one has great step by step instructions. I have an extremely tight space to work in. The garage is just a little bit wider than the car. With the engine out I was able to jack up the front end and sit in the engine bay and do the work from there. I had no issues with leaking gaskets or fittings that didn't work. I did have to massage my brake lines just a little bit to get the box to fit. Borgeson box is significantly larger than the original Saginaw. Seems to be a much cleaner design. I haven't fired it up yet as I don't have the engine reinstalled. I hope I don't have to dent thr new OBX headers too much to get them in as well.
I'll be curious to see how you make out as im considering this upgrade as well and have obx sidepipes as well. it practically touches the existing box now.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:19 AM
gjjcvette
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great information! 1) I had a Borgeson installed in my 1978 Corvette, but I do not notice enough "assistance" and also, the wheel does not return to center. Is this normal? Can it just be an alignment issue? The shop set the right caster to 3.0, but the left to -3.0 (????). This has to be wrong, but they will not correct it to + 3 on each side. 2) Finally, this car comes from the factory with - i believe- a 900 PSI pump and I believe that the Borgeson requires a 1200 to 1350 pump (as commented by Borgeson over the phone). Can this make it "more assisted"? I will appreciate comments from you and anyone who would like to chime in. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2020, 11:54 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gjjcvette
Great information! 1) I had a Borgeson installed in my 1978 Corvette, but I do not notice enough "assistance" and also, the wheel does not return to center. Is this normal? Can it just be an alignment issue? The shop set the right caster to 3.0, but the left to -3.0 (????). This has to be wrong, but they will not correct it to + 3 on each side. 2) Finally, this car comes from the factory with - i believe- a 900 PSI pump and I believe that the Borgeson requires a 1200 to 1350 pump (as commented by Borgeson over the phone). Can this make it "more assisted"? I will appreciate comments from you and anyone who would like to chime in. Thanks!
This is all FWIW.

I did the Borgeson swap not so long ago and am very pleased with the results.

Mine felt over boosted to the point I felt there was not enough road feel. So I installed a restrictor on the pump.

I was also not pleased with the weak return to center so I modified my suspension to accommodate 7 degrees of caster. That made a good difference.

I don’t know which pump I have... but if you tell me what to look for, I can check.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:19 PM
platinummaker
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by gjjcvette
I had the same situation as you. Apparently we are in the minority. I was able to increase flow and pressure on my existing pump by modifying the valve. I can’t locate the specific instructions but they were easily found on the internet. Removal of valve did not require removal of the PS pump as it is accessible from working underneath the car. The modifications helped immensely.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:23 PM
Ron1968
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you eliminate the ram by installing the new Borgeson unit?
Old 12-08-2020, 12:27 PM
Ron1968
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you eliminate the ram by installing the new Borgeson unit? Looks like it is no longer needed.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:32 PM
rpoL98
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron1968
Do you eliminate the ram by installing the new Borgeson unit? Looks like it is no longer needed.
the Borgeson PS steering box deletes the ancient 50's era steering ram.
Ron1968 (01-19-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 11:39 PM
gjjcvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ron1968
Do you eliminate the ram by installing the new Borgeson unit?
Yes, it replaced the oem.
Ron1968 (01-19-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 11:44 PM
gjjcvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by platinummaker
I had the same situation as you. Apparently we are in the minority. I was able to increase flow and pressure on my existing pump by modifying the valve. I can’t locate the specific instructions but they were easily found on the internet. Removal of valve did not require removal of the PS pump as it is accessible from working underneath the car. The modifications helped immensely.
So, did you enlarge the valve orifice? I was even thinking of buying a 1300 PSI pump, which is what Borgeson recommended when I askef them. Just a few minutes ago I checked and I see that my rag joint is torn! I barely used the car... anybody have any idea what could have caused this? Also I read that some people use some type of u-joint instead of the rag joint... I would appreciate if anybody can guide me in this direction and what are the benefits...
Old 01-19-2021, 12:35 AM
rpoL98
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

neither here nor there, on the power steering pump that came with my Borgeson kit, the valve orifice is appx 0.116" (measured with #32 drill bit). just fyi. If your orifice is smaller, you can just drill it out, carefully, to that dimension or next-smaller drill bit.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nstall-22.html
Old 01-19-2021, 03:16 PM
platinummaker
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts

If I recall correctly, I enlarged the orifice slightly, stretched the spring and removed 1 or 2 washers. Made a big difference, still not overly boosted for my preference.
Several posts online documenting the modification. Did not have to have PS pump removed as I came in from underneath.

Quick Reply: Borgeson steering install on my 74