C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help to determine possible horse power!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 03:06 PM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Check with pauldana. If he is close enough to get to his place and back in less than a month, trailer it to him. He can probably have you running in short order.
The following users liked this post:
KNOT-HEAD (11-07-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 03:23 PM
DAD111
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Knothead - My cousin owns a car restoration shop in Florida - motorcityclassicsandcustoms.com They are old school and new school with hot rods and classics. Absolutely know what they are doing. They are on Facebook and have a website. It maybe too far for ya, but if you are interested i can call him and get you set up.
KNOT-HEAD (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 08:34 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stumpshot
Check with pauldana. If he is close enough to get to his place and back in less than a month, trailer it to him. He can probably have you running in short order.
Thanks,
I'm in South Louisiana and he is in California. I have always wanted to go to California since the Beach Boys were making albums about the pretty girls in the skimpy bikinis. The closes I have made it was a one hour lay over at LAX. That is on my bucket list. I have an appointment with Asylum Motor Sports on 11/29. Hopefully he will get all the kinks out of the engine.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 11-07-2018, 10:47 AM
stumpshot
Racer

Originally Posted by KNOT-HEAD
Thanks,
I'm in South Louisiana and he is in California. I have always wanted to go to California since the Beach Boys were making albums about the pretty girls in the skimpy bikinis. The closes I have made it was a one hour lay over at LAX. That is on my bucket list. I have an appointment with Asylum Motor Sports on 11/29. Hopefully he will get all the kinks out of the engine.

KNOT-HEAD
Well that puts a kink in things. I spent a few months back in 69 in Fort Polk, just back from Vietnam. Since I was combat infantry they sent me to Polk as a D.I. I had several friends there and since I was a n.c.o., lots of 3 day passes to see the country.
Good news about the appointment. Good luck.
KNOT-HEAD (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 10:55 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,698 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Did you get the shifting issue taken care of?
If so what was the outcome?
KNOT-HEAD (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 02:27 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Well that puts a kink in things. I spent a few months back in 69 in Fort Polk, just back from Vietnam. Since I was combat infantry they sent me to Polk as a D.I. I had several friends there and since I was a n.c.o., lots of 3 day passes to see the country.
Good news about the appointment. Good luck.
Thanks for your service to our country. That was a very bad time for Veterans. One of our lowest points in American history. I hope you made it through with little to no hardships. The Good Lord took pity on me. I graduated high school in 69 and always wanted to me a marine. Some of my friends enlisted and never made it back. Some of the ones that did, never were the same again. God bless you all!

I was a high school All American Honorable Mention defensive end plus Super Team offensive tackle. This allowed me to have numerous college football scholarship offers. Naturally I accepted one. During that time, as I am sure you remember, the draft lottery was put into effect. On top of the collage deferral, I also had a number in the two hundreds for the lottery plus a curvature of the spine. Later because of sports, five partially crushed vertebra which I still have today. With all that, no military group would have accepted me. On top of all that, the ONLY thing my first wife did that I thank her for was talk me out of joining the Marines on the "Buddy System". We were told you and your buddy would do your full enlistment together. Well, you know that was just a cork. Some of my friends fell for it. They went through boot camp together then never saw each other again. At that time and still today I was a KNOT-HEAD! I truly beleave, if I would been able to join the Marines I would have been one of our troupes that never made it home. Again...THANK YOU!

My two older brothers went threw basic training at Fort Polk. Neither of them ever had anything good to say about the experiences they had there. Glad you did!

I spoke to the owner of the mechanic shop this morning, that has been working on the car this last go around and told him about the appointment. I still want them to correct the issues about the dieseling and sluggish low rpm response of the engine before I take it to Asylum Motor Sports. I paid them good money for what should have been a good installation. I don't want to pay someone else to do what I have already paid them to do. I have done that too many times. The owner agreed. I also let him know even though they get the kinks out of the engine, I am still bringing it to Asylum to be tuned and Dynoed.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 11-07-2018, 03:08 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Did you get the shifting issue taken care of?
If so what was the outcome?
I called the man that rebuilt the transmission and told him my concerns. He is an older gentleman and rambled on about how many years he had been rebuilding transmissions and assured me the work had been done properly.... How many times have I heard that concerning the work on this car!!!!! I asked him to take the car out for a second test drive and let me know his evaluation. After the test drive he adjusted the TV cable again. He told me he had not taken the ID numbers off the transmission at the time of the over hall. The reason I am having such a drastic difference between my rpm/mph and my buddies is there may be different gear ratios between the two transmissions. Once I get the engine as it should be, I will attempt to find out what gears are in the transmission. I also think a major part of the issue is the engine is not timed or tuned properly... as pauldana mentioned and that is what is causing the big difference. Once Asylum Motor Sports times, tunes and Dynos the engine, I will compare the rpm/mph ratio again to see if it has made a drastic improvement. I know pauldana is old and crotchety but so far, all his diagnostics on previous issues have proven true. I hope he is on the ball again, so I don't have to spend more time and money on the transmission.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 11-07-2018, 03:19 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DAD111
Knothead - My cousin owns a car restoration shop in Florida - motorcityclassicsandcustoms.com They are old school and new school with hot rods and classics. Absolutely know what they are doing. They are on Facebook and have a website. It maybe too far for ya, but if you are interested i can call him and get you set up.
Thanks,
I am in South Louisiana. That's a pretty far piece to drive every time I have issues with the car. Thanks for the help. I made an appointment with Asylum Motor Sports in Baton Rouge for 11/29. I took the car to them for an evaluation last Friday. He told me it was not timed or tuned properly... just like that "old grouch, pauldana" said. Hummmm! Pretty soon I'm going to have to start making appointments with pauldana and cut out the middle man. Problem is... he is in California... an even further trip. I keep saying over an over how GREAT you experienced people are sharing your knowledge with me and others like me. If I would not have been such a KNOT-HEAD and followed the advice of the people on this forum before I bought the car in 2016, I would saved a bunch of money, time and heartache. Sorry to say.... THAT'S JUST NOT MY STYLE.....LOL!

KNOT-HEAD
Old 11-07-2018, 04:10 PM
DAD111
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Yea - If we knew now what we didn't know then all of us would be in better shape. Hind Sight! 20/20
You are doing the right thing now, Don't let that shop push you out the door until things are right to your satisfaction. You paid them a lot of money not to be happy with your car. When Asylum gets it right send that shop the bill or you will see them in small claims court and make their life a living Hell.
KNOT-HEAD (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 06:34 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks,
I just read an email from the owner stating the mechanic used sealant on both sides of both intake manifold gaskets then torqued the manifold down. I asked it they used the correct sealant for the high heat the engine will produce as well as the strength of the RTV. I let them know, one of the reasons I use Visa for almost all purchases is they will force the vendor that accepts the card to warranty their work or they will take them to court. I asked them to pull all the spark plugs. If there is oil on the threads of all the plugs then it is defiantly getting into the fuel system. If it is not on all plugs it could be improperly installed oil rings on just some of the pistons. I also requested they send the pictures of the spark plugs to both JEGS and Blueprint and get them involved in resolving the problem.

Either way, I have more than $10k in parts and labor for the engine alone, not counting the transmission rebuild and swap out. I also told them as you mentioned, It's going to cost me $600 for Asylum to just time, tune and Dyno the engine. If they have to trouble shoot and repair previously installed components, at $125/hr, that adds up quickly. The owner has been good so for. My only complaint is with their head mechanic. Any reputable business owner is not going to jeopardize his investment over one employee. If need be...we will be small claims court bound. I hope it does not even come close to that. We had a mom and pop sporting goods store back in the early 80's. A woman came in and purchased two Remington model 1100 shotguns to give to her two sons for Christmas. Her check bounced. We presented the issue to the Justice Of The Peace for collection. The woman had bounced check at a large number of outlets in the same day. To make a long story short...nobody got paid. Lets just pray they find the problem and get it corrected soon.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 11-12-2018, 09:57 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks,
Y'all (that's southern for "all of you here") have been a pleasure to hear from... Even that old grouch, "pauldana"....LOL! Sharing your victories and failures have helped me more than you can imagine. I have to begin working on this car myself. Besides the expense, the aggravation of having one group repair what a previous (so called professional) groups has been paid to work on, is just mind boggling!

I have another re-occurring issue. I have had five shops repair leaks in the steering system. This group repaired a small leak about three months ago. Not after removing and replacing the engines, it has a large leak. I noticed a large oil spot on my "new" concrete carport. I parked the car in a different spot but near where I usually park it to see if this was a relatively new leak and it is. It has been raining here in South Louisiana for the past "I don't know how many" weeks. I will need to pick a dry day, jack up the car and see if I can repair the leak myself. It is mind boggling how many times I have paid someone to go behind another "so called professional" to repair what I have already paid to be repaired.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 11-12-2018, 10:58 AM
stumpshot
Racer

The power steering systems on these are a disaster as far as leaks are concerned. I finally gave up after numerous fixes that lasted a few days to a few weeks. I self installed a Borgeson box and I've been very happy with it. Power steering leaks are a thing of the past for me (at least for the past 3 years). You might ultimately consider this conversion for the future.
KNOT-HEAD (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 07:56 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The power steering systems on these are a disaster as far as leaks are concerned. I finally gave up after numerous fixes that lasted a few days to a few weeks. I self installed a Borgeson box and I've been very happy with it. Power steering leaks are a thing of the past for me (at least for the past 3 years). You might ultimately consider this conversion for the future.
Thanks,
I will have to look up a "Borgeson box" and see if I may be capable of installing one myself. These leaks are annoying and dangerous.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 11-13-2018, 08:27 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Dont waste your time with CA unless you pick a nice spot, it isnt what you see on TV. Stay near the coast going north, its nice.
You could pass through Beverly Hills and never even know it, nothing impressive. I Cannot wait to move the fk out of here
If you werent so far off I could have yours running right in an afternoon, it isnt hard. Youd be surprised how many shops really dont know the basics of a Holley and using a timing gun.
They sure will charge you to learn though!
Your plugs could simply be fuel and not oil .

Last edited by cv67; 11-13-2018 at 08:29 AM.
KNOT-HEAD (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 09:15 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Dont waste your time with CA unless you pick a nice spot, it isnt what you see on TV. Stay near the coast going north, its nice.
You could pass through Beverly Hills and never even know it, nothing impressive. I Cannot wait to move the fk out of here
If you werent so far off I could have yours running right in an afternoon, it isnt hard. Youd be surprised how many shops really dont know the basics of a Holley and using a timing gun.
look at the threads... wet oil
KNOT-HEAD (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 01:13 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Thanks,
I have to agree with pauldana... It is oil on the threads not fuel. I spoke to the mechanic shop about possibly having a leak in the intake manifold system. They did RTV both sides of the intake manifold gasket and torque the bolts. I am waiting to return the car to them this week so they can do a more through test and verify the mechanic used the "proper" RTV. I am assuming it should be the blue high temperature RTV. I don't know if there is any specific type for intake manifold gaskets. I am giving them every opportunity to resolve the issue before I take it to Asylum Motor Sports in Baton Rouge on the 29th. Either way I'm taking it. The $600 charge will be well worth it if the Dyno test turns out well.

NOT-HEAD
Old 11-13-2018, 01:29 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pauldana
look at the threads... wet oil
Thanks,
You must be on your meds. today.....LOL! You didn't loose your temper..... The only good information I have received about the internal combustion engine and its components has come from this site. As much as I hate to give an old grouch a compliment, you have been 100% correct on every call you have made....THANKS!

They are supposed to work on the car again this week. I forwarded them the comments you made about the gasket and how to recognize then correct the issue. I had sent a some what nasty email (not near as NASTY as you would have sent) to the owner of the shop explaining my intent in having the Tech at Asylum Motor Sports check out the engine. Plus let him know I would be coming back to him for restitution if he found something they did incorrectly. That shook him up enough to call me an hour before they opened to let me know he was going to have a different mechanic dedicated to correcting all the outstanding issues with the car. He seems to be a good guy and wants to have satisfied customers. Hopefully they will get things straight.

KNOT-HEAD

Get notified of new replies

To Help to determine possible horse power!

Old 11-13-2018, 01:34 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm getting a clock from "john65" that has been digitized. Can I replace the old clock by just pulling the 4 screws from the face of the clock or do I have to pull the complete gauge cluster and replace it from the rear of the cluster?

KNOT-HEAD
Old 11-13-2018, 02:48 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I wanted to make sure the members of this site knew the type of person John65 is. I sent him money by means of Paypal this morning for a clock and shipping. I think it was a great deal. He had PM'ed me with a price that was within reason so I sent the money. He found out the actual shipping cost of the clock instead of the $9 quoted, was only $4. Instead of pocketing the MASSIVE over charge... He refunded me $4. I wish I could have dealt with similar people during the last two years while owning my money pit of a car. You have to admire a person with this type integrity! THANKS AGAIN John65. I hope we can do business again soon!

You wouldn't happen to have a pair of 77 Buckskin leather seat covers and buckskin deluxe door panels handy do you?

KNOT-HEAD
DAD111 (11-13-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 09:44 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Sounds like they will take care of it, cant be that tough to narrow down.
KNOT-HEAD (11-15-2018)

Quick Reply: Help to determine possible horse power!