C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left turn signal does not work when engine running and parking lights on

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 04:19 AM
cromwell74
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Left turn signal does not work when engine running and parking lights on

Hello!

My left turn signal does not work when the engine is running and parking lights on....(right signal works fine and the hazards)

When I test the turn signals with power on (engine off) they work but the left signal flashes much slower than the right one...then when I test with parking lights
on the left one becomes even more slower and if I start the engine the left side won´t flash at all with parking lights on... just steady burn....

Anyone else had this same problem?

Last edited by cromwell74; 08-16-2018 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:02 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Bad ground on left lights. Could be rear or front.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:13 AM
cromwell74
Instructor

Originally Posted by derekderek
Bad ground on left lights. Could be rear or front.
Ok, thanks! Must these lights be accessed from under the car when I check the grounds?

Last edited by cromwell74; 08-16-2018 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:22 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by cromwell74
Hello!
My left turn signal does not work when the engine is running and parking lights on....(right signal works fine and the hazards)
When I test the turn signals with power on (engine off) they work but the left signal flashes much slower than the right one...then when I test with parking lights
on the left one becomes even more slower and if I start the engine the left side won´t flash at all with parking lights on... just steady burn....
Anyone else had this same problem?
Just fixed something similar. Pulled the connector off the low beam, cleaned it and saw that one of the wires (probably was the ground) had partially backed out. OK now.

Don't know if this is the way Chevy made it but on mine I can turn on the park/headlights on and the key doesn't even have to be in the ignition. For the directionals to work the engine doesn't need to be running but the key has to be in the ignition and it has to be switched on.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:20 AM
cromwell74
Instructor

Now I took all the left side lights apart and cleaned the the contacts....(I managed to break the tail light so I put a new one in there).
After this procedure right turn signal still works fine and the hazard....but NOW the LEFT turn signal does not work at all....and now also the left side FRONT parking lights does not work.
When I now turn on the parking lights the green left turn indicator on the dash goes ON!? And then when I move the lever to "turn left" the parking lights comes on but there´s no turn signal....
What has went wrong here?

Last edited by cromwell74; 08-16-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:14 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

sometimes the bad ground can be inside the light socket itself. The light socket is grounded to the frame with the brass socket has lost its ground to the pot metal base that it mounts into. You might end up having to solder a wire to the side of the brass vase that the bulb goes in and then ground that wire onto the mounting bolt.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:29 AM
cromwell74
Instructor

Got this fixed! I must had put something wrong way back in place in the front parking light.... I also changed the flasher and now everything works fine! =)

Get notified of new replies

To Left turn signal does not work when engine running and parking lights on

Quick Reply: Left turn signal does not work when engine running and parking lights on