C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Sniper install results

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 01:52 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Darinm
Quick update, I ended up mounting the coil in the same spot as @Johnnypegs, and the multi spark box on the passenger fender. I will post some pics when done. Unfortunately, my setup was missing a critical harness plug that connects the distributor to the Sniper. So , couldn't test fire. I called Holley support this morning and they're shipping a replacement out. I have to say, that clear cap they use for aligning the distributor is very slick ! Very simple to do. The hardest part of this entire install is the tight clearances we have to deal with for getting all the wiring done. I do think that if i had over the valve cover plug wires, this would have been nearly impossible. At least going around the back of the engine then under the headers freed up a lot of space for the wiring. Also the way smaller distributor cap makes for a lot more working room. Oh, and making your own coil wire ! Wow, that was tough getting the wire through the 90 degree boot !
Was the harness supposed to come in the throttle body box or the distributor box?
Old 10-15-2018, 01:54 PM
Darinm
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Per the instructions, it's supposed to be in the distributor box. It's a 3 pin connector on one end, the other has a 2 pin which will plug into the twisted purple and green wires coming out of the sniper, and a loose pink wire which will go to the switched power(the one that stays hot during cranking and running).
The following users liked this post:
scottjamison (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 04:57 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Johnnypegs

Gives me multiple grounds, switches and positive hook ups with only one wire to the battery
What i have done so far is build a fuse panel for all the hook ups to plug into instead of run a bunch of wires to the battery. The one Thing I havent Been able to figure out a good location for the coil either.. it’s a little bulky. Any ideas?
Where did you get the fuse boxes and buss bar?

JIM

Old 10-15-2018, 04:58 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I used a similar concept but with a store bought fuse block. It's currently on the drivers side inner fender, but now that my fuel pressure regulator is gone from the passenger side inner fender, i'm thinking about relocating it there.
How about these? Where do you get them? Nice and clean...

JIM
Old 10-15-2018, 06:08 PM
Darinm
Racer

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
How about these? Where do you get them? Nice and clean...

JIM
Bass pro shop. It's meant for marine applications. Still 12 volts though, just not on a boat.
caskiguy (05-16-2019)
Old 10-15-2018, 08:07 PM
Johnnypegs
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I got All of my stuff on amazon. I ended Up mounting the whole unit near the battery in one of the 3 compartments. There’s a good video on YouTube about how to set it all up and wire it. I can Link it if you want.

Last edited by Johnnypegs; 10-15-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:25 PM
Johnnypegs
Racer

Definitely check !
One bit of advise that stumped me for a bit. There is a 7 pin and a 10 pin harness. On the 7 pin harness, the yellow lead connects to the coil negative on the HEI distributor. With the Hyperspark, that gets removed completely and goes unused. The 10 pin has only 2 leads that get used (for my setup, i have a seperate electric fan controller). The Brown lead which will go to the coil negative lead and will drive your factory tach, and the white lead which goes to the white lead on the multi spark box. That will leave a whole bunch of unused wires on the 10 pin harness all of which can pickup RFI noise. A company called EFI System Pros sells a Sniper spare wire removal kit that will include a tool to remove the wires from the harness and rubber plugs to seal it off. I highly recommend buying it. It's only $20 and will clean up your wiring and reduce the risk of RFI.

Also, not saying this will be an issue for you, but if you get some weird stuff with your IAC, i ended up having to replace my alternator due to some weird RFI coming into my sniper system. I replaced it with a Tuff Stuff 140 amp and have been golden since ! What made me suspect it was while riding in a parade (lots of idle time), i noticed on the sniper handheld screen my voltage would occasionally drop to 10 and 11 volts. That issue and IAC weirdness are now gone !

Did you bypass the yellow coil wire on the factory main engine wiring harness?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:56 PM
corvetero
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Which external pump did you use? Is it noisy? Location?
Old 10-16-2018, 12:35 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Now that some of you have your Sniper setups, time to use it to control some Nitrous?!?
https://www.efisystempro.com/efi-pro...-nitrous-oxide

(I love convincing people to spend more of their money; lol!)

Adam
Old 10-16-2018, 02:00 PM
Darinm
Racer

"Did you bypass the yellow coil wire on the factory main engine wiring harness?"

With the new setup, it's not in use at all now.

Last edited by Darinm; 10-16-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:04 PM
Darinm
Racer

corvetero
I used the external pump that came with the master kit. I mounted it outside the frame behind the rear passenger tire. It's at the right level (Below the tank) and well protected. I can hear it when i first turn on the ignition while it primes the system. Once it's started, the only thing i hear is the sidepipes. I'm sure if i had a VERY quiet exhaust, i might be able to hear it. I also run an external vacuum pump that's way louder than the external fuel pump but it too gets drowned out by the sidepipes. The sidepipes in turn get drowned out by my stereo system. So it's a nice balancing act

Last edited by Darinm; 10-16-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:31 PM
Johnnypegs
Racer

Any chance you could snap a picture of how you mounted the pump in the rear? I have Dual exhaust so I’m not sure if I can Mount it there because if the heat
Old 10-21-2018, 11:47 PM
Darinm
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnnypegs
Any chance you could snap a picture of how you mounted the pump in the rear? I have Dual exhaust so I’m not sure if I can Mount it there because if the heat
Sorry for the dark picture, I just got home from a 7-1/2 hour road trip to drop my son off at college. Hopefully this will provide enough info.
​​​​​​

Old 10-22-2018, 01:00 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 191 Posts

Thanks for all the info here.

I did mine over the weekend which included the tank (fuel pump inside), distributor, CD box, coil, and throttle body. Once it started, it idled really well. Good revving too.
Here are some things I observed:
1) Installing the gas tank (especially the first time bending the straps) takes two people!
2) The Holley kit is really nice. Things go together really well.
3) My Sniper kit did NOT have the throttle bracket package in it. That included the studs so we had to improvise. BEFORE YOU START TAKE INVENTORY AND MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS THERE!
4) My initial start took several tries with me having to give it extra gas at first. The idle screw was waaaaaaay loose.
5) We did have to slightly rotate the distributor after start up to get the timing exact during the static timing test. Easy.
6) It controls the timing and idle electronically perfectly now.
7) The kit includes enough wire length to connect 4 cars together!!! We just coiled them at first for startup. I will clean them up later.
8) We mounted the Coil on the upper firewall by the wiper motor. Fits great.
9) We mounted the CD box under the passenger side fender.
10) If you have an extreme drop on your air cleaner, even with 90 degree fittings, IT WILL NOT FIT. A medium drop will. I did have to order a 2" tall filter now (I had a medium drop base laying around to use)..

Lastly, three things:
1) MAKE SURE YOU TEST THE SEALS on your gas tank! I have a gas leak that I will need to drop the tank again to fix since the damn connections are on TOP of the tank!
2) Don't accidentally cut through your oil line. DOH!!!!!!
3) If you have aluminum heads, you may not have a water sensor port in the head (I did not) which means I had to order a water neck with the sensor port in it for the water temp gauge in the dash (don't run the Sniper to that one).

Overall a great experience. I can't wait to get it on the road.

Last edited by scottjamison; 10-22-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Primoz (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 01:04 PM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 128 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Tell us how it drives especially in cold weather. That why Efi is all about!

Quick Reply: New Sniper install results