C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never found a solution, rear suspension clunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 10:02 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Never found a solution, rear suspension clunk

You can read my original thread by clicking below, but the long and short of it is, I never could figure out a solution. But today I was able to take a clip of the rear suspension and you can see and hear what I am talking about: the clunk that both sides make when going over an imperfection in the street. Hope you can see this clip.... Thanks

PS: the sound is not so good, had to convert the file to get it to load, but the clunk happens when you see the end of the spring drop.
My Movie 1aa.wmv

Sorry this will not open without first being loaded on your computer. It is safe. I'm just having all kinds of trouble.... Thanks.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...condition.html
Old 10-04-2018, 12:49 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Radio aerial ground plate ?

It's about the only thing not mentioned
Old 10-04-2018, 07:07 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,292 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

youre right, it doesnt sound good. is it on both sides or just the drivers side
Old 10-04-2018, 09:16 AM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Pretty sure both sides, I will reset the camera and shoot the other side, weather permitting; maybe tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:18 AM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
I'll look at anything at this point. Thanks
Old 10-04-2018, 10:28 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Loose upper shock bolt? I've had one of mine mysteriously come loose.
The following users liked this post:
kansas123 (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 01:02 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by kansas123
You can read my original thread by clicking below, but the long and short of it is, I never could figure out a solution. But today I was able to take a clip of the rear suspension and you can see and hear what I am talking about: the clunk that both sides make when going over an imperfection in the street. Hope you can see this clip.... Thanks

PS: the sound is not so good, had to convert the file to get it to load, but the clunk happens when you see the end of the spring drop.
Attachment 48298278

Sorry this will not open without first being loaded on your computer. It is safe. I'm just having all kinds of trouble.... Thanks.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...condition.html
Have you checked the differential crossmember bolts to the frame (2) ? Or possibly the differential mounting bolts to the crossmember (4) ? Have either of these areas been reassembled ? Is the gas tank secured as it should be ? Transmission crossmember bolts to frame on either side if automatic only I believe. Or the transmission mount itself ?
Have checked the # 3 mounting bolts behind the access door in front of the rear tire ? #4 mounts secured ? Shocks mounts were mentioned I think.
Is it at all possible when going over a bump as the leaf spring flexes could the bolt(s) to the trailing arm be catching enough to interrupt the motion causing a noise ? Just some random thoughts.
Not much else that comes to mind in the back end to me.
Hope you find the issue.

kansas123 (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,292 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

i would jack it up and put the rear frame on jacks, then try and lift the tires quickly with a crow bar and see if you can make the clunk. It could be worn bushings or bad rear shocks. If it just makes the noise over bumps and not under braking I would think its the suspension and not the rear end. A loose gas tank would make sense as well. Maybe get a rubber mallet and start banging on the suspension parts and see anything is loose. Just dont hit anything that could dent or crack

Also, with it on the ground, try and lock up the front brakes and give it gas and see of the load on the suspension makes the noise.
kansas123 (10-04-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 01:49 AM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Brother, I know you've been chasing this one for a long time. I can offer this:
If you want to pay the trip there and back, I will loan you my Chassis Ear. Very easy to use and ALWAYS finds those tough under car noises. I'll put in a new battery and ship in a USPS flat rate box. It's the ceapest way. Are you actually in Kansas? PM me your address if you're interested and I'll get you shipping cost .
Greg

Old 10-05-2018, 12:40 PM
Bergerboy
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

Have you checked to see if you've still got all your rear alignment shims (red parts below) packed between the front of the trailing arms and the frame?
Mine were loose and gradually falling out after I first bought my '69, and found out that they had used the open-ended "forked end" type of shims, but failed to install the keeper cotter pins (blue part below) on the lower side of the shims.
I was getting the rear clunk over bumps, as well on any significant accel/de-cel inputs. Also would feel the rear end give a slight lateral shift when the noise would occur due to the extra free play at the front of the TAs.
Had a rear alignment done with new shims and pins, and been good-to-go ever since.

kansas123 (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 04:29 PM
HT1663WB
Melting Slicks

Received 138 Likes on 76 Posts

I just saw the video...sounds like a bad shock

Last edited by HT1663WB; 10-05-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:00 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HT1663WB
I just saw the video...sounds like a bad shock
Thanks for the suggestion.

Just to catch everyone up, the shocks were new 1 year ago, new TRs, adjustable strut rods and half shafts 3 years ago, along with dust shields, turned rotors, brake pads, hoses and lines and rebuilt calipers. Will be checking out all the items suggested in the next few days ask time permits. Anxious to get into this. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:38 PM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

I was chasing a clunking noise in the rear of one of my cars. 2 shops couldn’t figure it out. I replaced the struts but the clunk remained. I was really frustrated. I realized when I pulled into my garage, the 3/4” lip at the entrance caused the noise when the rear wheels went over it. I lay on the ground and had someone push the car over the lip moving the car about 1’. I put my hand on every part I could reach and realized a control arm was the source of the clunk. Once I felt it with my hand I could see the control arm shifting in the mount.

I don’t know if you can try something like this to replicate the noise. The force on the suspension just can’t be replicated with a breaker bar, you need the momentum of the car to move things. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:23 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by maj75
I was chasing a clunking noise in the rear of one of my cars. 2 shops couldn’t figure it out. I replaced the struts but the clunk remained. I was really frustrated. I realized when I pulled into my garage, the 3/4” lip at the entrance caused the noise when the rear wheels went over it. I lay on the ground and had someone push the car over the lip moving the car about 1’. I put my hand on every part I could reach and realized a control arm was the source of the clunk. Once I felt it with my hand I could see the control arm shifting in the mount.

I don’t know if you can try something like this to replicate the noise. The force on the suspension just can’t be replicated with a breaker bar, you need the momentum of the car to move things. Good luck.
Which side was your noise on and which control arm. And what did you do to fix it, was there a control arm bushing bad, was it a crack somewhere? thanks
Old 10-08-2018, 10:51 AM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Greg
Brother, I know you've been chasing this one for a long time. I can offer this:
If you want to pay the trip there and back, I will loan you my Chassis Ear. Very easy to use and ALWAYS finds those tough under car noises. I'll put in a new battery and ship in a USPS flat rate box. It's the ceapest way. Are you actually in Kansas? PM me your address if you're interested and I'll get you shipping cost .
Greg

pm sent
Old 10-08-2018, 05:54 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

did you check the front differential mounting bushing....that usually clunks when you put it in/out of gear , you cant see it you have to feel for it.
kansas123 (10-08-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 06:05 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

I'm thinking front differential mount as well. The bolt is #12 in this picture. The bottom bushing can look good but it's hard to see the upper bushing.

Get notified of new replies

To Never found a solution, rear suspension clunk

Old 10-09-2018, 06:08 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by caskiguy
Have you checked the differential crossmember bolts to the frame (2) ? Or possibly the differential mounting bolts to the crossmember (4) ? Have either of these areas been reassembled ? Is the gas tank secured as it should be ? Transmission crossmember bolts to frame on either side if automatic only I believe. Or the transmission mount itself ?
Have checked the # 3 mounting bolts behind the access door in front of the rear tire ? #4 mounts secured ? Shocks mounts were mentioned I think.
Is it at all possible when going over a bump as the leaf spring flexes could the bolt(s) to the trailing arm be catching enough to interrupt the motion causing a noise ? Just some random thoughts.
Not much else that comes to mind in the back end to me.
Hope you find the issue.
The diff crossmember bolts to frame are very tight, but these pictures seem to show a gap (car is jacked at the differential, wheels off ground). I didn't want to lean on these bolts as I didn't want to twist them off; thinking about taking them out and replacing them while it's jacked; hopefully nothing would move. The bolts to transmission mount are all tight, bushings in good shape; the one I cannot see ' still feels soft'. The #3 and #4 mounting bolts appear in 'decent' shape, did not try to turn them though. As for the your last statement about the leaf spring I think that could be a contributing possibility but don't know how that could be changed unless I put bolts on the spring bolts above the spring ends but shouldn't have to do such a thing. I would be surprised if the shocks were bad as they are only about a year old and are Bilsteins after all.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:10 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

By the way, if the transmission mount bushings needed to be replaced, how in the wild world of sports to you hole the top of that one bolt mount to crossmember; I thought I would try to tighten it but have no idea how to do it, know what I mean?
Old 10-09-2018, 07:25 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-install.html
kansas123 (10-09-2018)

Quick Reply: Never found a solution, rear suspension clunk