C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help-What is this wire

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 05:26 PM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

Default Please Help-What is this wire

1982 CE 12k miles This connector is located near the hood release. Cannot find anything to plug it into. Had two sets of young eyes search as well. Having trouble with power door locks. Passenger switch locks and unlocks driver's door but not passenger lock. Drivers switch does nothing. No power to the passenger door actuator. Swapped switches one side to the other but same results. Locks work manually and with key. Color of the wires in question are leading me to think this connector may have something to do with my problem
Old 10-17-2018, 06:28 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

The colors don't seem the same as the power lock circuit in my '79 but that sure looks like the connector. There's a LOT of wiring in that area and it's literally a pain to worm you way in there. I don't know if there's a proper way to deal with all of the wires and connectors around there except to "stuff it in wherever it seems to fit". Look very carefully and trace the wiring coming out of the door. Be sure to remove the kick panel trim piece. Also look inside the hollow vertical column that's part of the "bird cage". There are a number of access holes on the inboard side and it's a good place to find space for connectors.

The solid orange wire is a very good clue that it's part of the power lock circuit. ALL solid orange wires in our cars have constant power and ALL of the solid orange wires in the cabin are part of the COURTESY fuse which powers the door locks.

Last edited by SwampeastMike; 10-17-2018 at 06:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pltmgr (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 01:09 AM
TOM B1
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

This is the power door lock harness plug, it plugs in under the dash and then goes to the lock.
Someone unpluged it, the other end should be around where the harness from the door goes into the piller by your hood latch.
After you plug it in, let the window down just to be safe, then test it.
you should have the same style plug on the passenger side also.
The following users liked this post:
pltmgr (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 07:21 PM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

SwampeastMike and Tom B1 were right. The connector was part of the power lock system. I had to remove the seat (getting fat and loosing my flexibility) and the HAVC tube in the area to finally find the other part of the connection. Not sure why is was disconnected.. Power locks work now work fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Please Help-What is this wire

Quick Reply: Please Help-What is this wire