C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I really hate that sound.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 12:35 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

BTW.... I recognize at least 3 other posters here beside me that road race theses cars, and one 1/4 mile guy... (there is more to life than a straight line:-)) you have some good experienced input here,,,
The following users liked this post:
vette8121 (03-10-2020)
Old 11-08-2018, 11:09 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
Very good write up...

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/exh...for-your-ride/

X vs. H

Although X- and H-pipes perform extremely well for a minimal investment in time and money, both offer unique properties that make one more suitable than the other depending on the application. “The two biggest differences between an X- and an H-pipe are sound and power. Generally, the X-pipe will deliver a more high-pitched exhaust note, making a car sound more exotic, whereas an H-pipe gives a dee..................................... ..

................For all-out power, X-pipes seem to be the winner, but H-pipes boast several advantages as well. “H-pipes typically offer increas..................
Paul, I gotta respectfully disagree with you on the quality of that magazine article. Those clowns repeatedly keep echoing that old disproved wives' tale about increasing backpressure gives you more bottom end torque. Complete nonsense. They also appear to have difficulty understanding how to convert from firing order sequence to exhaust pipe flow/pulse sequence, negating some of their statements. Additionally, their "advice" seems to contradict Vizard's (an actual engineer, not a journalist) recommendations in his books.

Personally, I'm sticking with Vizard's results and recommendations for my car.
OldCarBum (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 11:17 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 69427
Paul, I gotta respectfully disagree with you on the quality of that magazine article. Those clowns repeatedly keep echoing that old disproved wives' tale about increasing backpressure gives you more bottom end torque. Complete nonsense. They also appear to have difficulty understanding how to convert from firing order sequence to exhaust pipe flow/pulse sequence, negating some of their statements. Additionally, their "advice" seems to contradict Vizard's (an actual engineer, not a journalist) recommendations in his books.

Personally, I'm sticking with Vizard's results and recommendations for my car.

I did not read it in its entirety.. i was looking more so for the sound difference for the op... i will go with your view of the article... and agree with what you stated..
Old 11-08-2018, 12:33 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

BTW.... I recognize at least 3 other posters here beside me that road race theses cars, and one 1/4 mile guy... (there is more to life than a straight line:-)) you have some good experienced input here,,,
I'm not a 1/4 mile guy and will be using my car for mountain, coastal and foothill winding roads with some nice sweeping curves.
Once in a while, it could see the track on a vintage road race day.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:35 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Story.... So I needed to post on youtube the video so as to post it here for the sound... thats all... so i posted it... and i get this remark?? lol...

Highlighted comment
Candice Williams

So where is the proof of your uh "525 rwhp"? All I saw in your video is someone's red C3 making a bunch of needless noise. Instead of bragging about your car how about helping people in your Corvette Forum find and fix their problems? Oh yeah, with 525 rwhp how does your C3 pass the strict California smog tests?

1 second ago
1st Who are you??? lol... 2nd The reason I posted this, is i needed the sound.. yea the sound.. someone in my corvette forum wanted to hear what a 3" mandrel bend with X-Pipe off of 1 7/8" Kooks headers from a 427" SBC 650hp would sound, and this is it... they sound european exotic.. 3rd My HP and my car are very well known on the Corvette forum,,, ;and yes.. 525 RWHP, under 3000 lbs. This car races at willow springs, and 5 other raceways in southern California,,, and Smog, none of your business is it? you do sound like a California liberal...
Show less

Last edited by pauldana; 11-08-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:57 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Sorry to see that.
I appreciated the video.
Thanks again

Last edited by OldCarBum; 11-08-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:45 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Story.... So I needed to post on youtube the video so as to post it here for the sound... thats all... so i posted it... and i get this remark?? lol...

Highlighted comment
Candice Williams

So where is the proof of your uh "525 rwhp"? All I saw in your video is someone's red C3 making a bunch of needless noise. Instead of bragging about your car how about helping people in your Corvette Forum find and fix their problems? Oh yeah, with 525 rwhp how does your C3 pass the strict California smog tests?

1 second ago
1st Who are you??? lol... 2nd The reason I posted this, is i needed the sound.. yea the sound.. someone in my corvette forum wanted to hear what a 3" mandrel bend with X-Pipe off of 1 7/8" Kooks headers from a 427" SBC 650hp would sound, and this is it... they sound european exotic.. 3rd My HP and my car are very well known on the Corvette forum,,, ;and yes.. 525 RWHP, under 3000 lbs. This car races at willow springs, and 5 other raceways in southern California,,, and Smog, none of your business is it? you do sound like a California liberal...
Show less

Paul, “Candace Williams” is actually Michael Heathrow, AKA TooOldToRetire and a slew of other names. He has been blowing up my YouTube comments on my video I posted here as well. It seems since he is banned here, he likes to stalk us, then voice his opinion on our YouTube channels. I got 3 comments from him, then he changed IDs to Candace Williams. FYI
Old 11-08-2018, 02:49 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Old 11-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm

Paul, “Candace Williams” is actually Michael Heathrow, AKA TooOldToRetire and a slew of other names. He has been blowing up my YouTube comments on my video I posted here as well. It seems since he is banned here, he likes to stalk us, then voice his opinion on our YouTube channels. I got 3 comments from him, then he changed IDs to Candace Williams. FYI
Well, that's interesting. And very sad and wierd.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:14 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

laughing my frigging *** off!!!!! lol... and I think it was ToBrokeTo Retire... TBTR... geese that guy was so full of ****..

and yes,,,he should be gone... and stay gone.. here i have picture to remember him by:-)

Old 11-08-2018, 03:19 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I give up, what was the alleged purpose of the plasticene on the choke housing?
Old 11-08-2018, 03:31 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

FRACK!!!!!! I got named!!!! lol.... Dang! Guess I got under his skin a bit!!! lol

MADE MY DAY!!!!

Originally Posted by Priya
I give up, what was the alleged purpose of the plasticene on the choke housing?
He is the king of Jimmy-Rigger

Last edited by pauldana; 11-08-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:48 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 11-08-2018, 05:55 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

you guys need to find a hobby..
Old 11-08-2018, 06:41 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fishslayer143
you guys need to find a hobby..

WE need a hobby? He is the one that stalks us all over the net.

I have plenty of hobbies.....(cars, motorcycles, working out, etc etc).

Candace/Michael is just a hater...
Old 11-08-2018, 07:07 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

WE need a hobby? He is the one that stalks us all over the net.

I have plenty of hobbies.....(cars, motorcycles, working out, etc etc).

Candace/Michael is just a hater...
yep... .... I did that youtube channel the same day i posted it... did not have that channel in the past..
which means not only is he trolling youtube, but the forum, and this particular thread...
what a tool what a troll....

Hey TwoStupidToPost..... know your reading this,,,, sucks ya can't reply huh?? lmao..

Last edited by pauldana; 11-08-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:52 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

yep... .... I did that youtube channel the same day i posted it... did not have that channel in the past..
which means not only is he trolling youtube, but the forum, and this particular thread...
what a tool what a troll....

Hey TwoStupidToPost..... know your reading this,,,, sucks ya can't reply huh?? lmao..
Yeah I have had a youtube channel for years, I have about 50 videos uploaded.... TooDumbTooRetire has posted on my videos before, probably links from here at CF but....He has lit me up before in the comments. He's a special kind of stupid.

Get notified of new replies

To I really hate that sound.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:35 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

LOL!!!! That's outstanding!!! Well done buddy.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:07 AM
76strokervette
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 156 Posts

AJ and Paul,
Many on here enjoy your threads and the technical information so keep up the good work.
The other issue kind of speaks for itself. All I can say is wow!
The following 2 users liked this post by 76strokervette:
ajrothm (11-09-2018), pauldana (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 09:40 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Now, back to X pipe discussion.

Anyone contemplating an X Pipe, make sure to use one that has a full flow at the X with an average size merge between the two sides. What I mean is, you don’t want the X to be a pinch point in the middle, a lot of the cheaper X pipes like Jegs/Summit brand Xs have the two sides tightly merged, restricting over all flow. Ideally, you want both sides of the X to be a full 3” and tied together... vs two 3” pipes that are just sliced and merged.

Dr Gas, Flowmaster, Borla, Corsa all makes full size Xs with no pinch in the middle.

Last edited by ajrothm; 11-09-2018 at 09:40 AM.
OldCarBum (11-09-2018)

Quick Reply: I really hate that sound.