C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can they call this direct replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 09:00 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Sounds like two different owners of the stores. I have six NAPA stores within 60 miles of each other. I can purchase / return anywhere. Same owner.
What they did to you is just bad public relations. You should get your money back regardless of your next step.

I hate to see anyone bypass the core permanently, unless its dripping on your brand new carpet. Come Spring, Summer or Fall there will be a day that you have to defog the windshield for your safety and the others on the road. That's where the after-market shut-off valve pictured and discussed in last weeks posts is a Godsend.
In the event you need to defog, just pull over, pop the hood, open the valve. Presto!

I was worried about that when I by-passed mine but now I don't even think about it anymore. Never had a problem de-fogging my windshield with the blower fan only. Yes it takes a little longer at first but once its defogged it keeps it good . What really pissed me off was what you said. I had replaced my carpet a few months before my heater core gave up the ghost and ruined my brand new carpet.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:34 PM
Radman2112
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

So I went to a couple of radiator shops by me. I asked about recoreing my heater core. The "best" price I got was $179. Needless to say, I'm not going that route. I ordered a replacement from Corvette Central. It was $90. Before I ordered I called and asked if it was aluminum or copper. I was told all their C3 heater cores are copper. I'll let you know when I get it.
The following users liked this post:
Classic Muscle (11-18-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 06:37 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Wow! $179 to flush, re-solder, de-lime is unacceptable. Must be 14K gold plating involved. I hope your new core fits correctly. Unfortunately, its still likely made overseas.

You should still get 10-15yrs out of it. Its all about the water, coolant, additives for longivity. Never use well water or tap water along with your coolant.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:17 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Aluminum is better for transferring heat to air than copper or brass. Copper was cheap in 1970's (compared to Aluminum), so that's what GM used for heater and radiator cores.

Brass/copper will last 20-40 years without problem (if coolant is maintained well); aluminum will last 10-20. I don't think I will be around in 20 more years, so aluminum wouldn't be an issue to me. But, if you want to pay for the next owner to be 'worry free' about the heater, have at it....
Old 11-18-2018, 01:04 AM
Classic Muscle
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Radman2112 I'm having the very same problem today! I bought the very same part as you from Autozone and there's a 1/2 inch of space between the mounting brackets. I just don't feel comfortable installing this just for it to rattle it's self to an early grave and leak all over my carpet. I guess I'll be bypassing it tomorrow so I can get it out of the middle of me and my neighbors driveway ,and ordering one from Corvette Central. Keep us informed on your purchase.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:09 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic Muscle
Radman2112 I'm having the very same problem today! I bought the very same part as you from Autozone and there's a 1/2 inch of space between the mounting brackets. I just don't feel comfortable installing this just for it to rattle it's self to an early grave and leak all over my carpet. I guess I'll be bypassing it tomorrow so I can get it out of the middle of me and my neighbors driveway ,and ordering one from Corvette Central. Keep us informed on your purchase.

This is what I used as the hoses are different diameters. Good quality hard plastic and it's been in there for years without problems.

LINK
The following users liked this post:
Classic Muscle (11-18-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 07:47 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Carpet protection design?

Originally Posted by Classic Muscle
Theoretically, isn't the enclosure that the heater cores reside in designed to hold and drain off any core coolant leaks? It appeared to me when I removed and repaired the original Harrison that the big case halves were sealed together. I had to soak up, rinse, and rinse, and rinse, the new carpet installed a few months earlier, because I believe the sealant was 45 years old and didn't seal.

Steve
Old 11-21-2018, 11:02 AM
Radman2112
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I received my replacement heater core from Corvette Central. As you can see, it's a perfect replacement part. I am going to install shut offs in the lines, but I just couldn't see totally eliminating the heater. There might be a day I want to use it. Thanks for all your comments/opinions. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Quick Reply: How can they call this direct replacement