C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas tank issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 03:11 PM
michaelroy
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Gas tank issue

Gents I have been smelling gas fumes from my 79 for quite some time. I have never seen it drip gas but I can see where gas is coming down to the bottom of tank and softening the undercoating. Pulled the tank today. I had already purchased a used tank from a fellow on the forum.
It appears that what gas is coming out, is coming from around the sending unit. After getting the newly purchased replacement prepped I notice the liner was cracked in several places. I cleaned my original tank and found the same issues, several cracks in the liner.
Would you guys familiar with this situation suggest a NEW tank? How about the sending unit? Both the sending units look OK to me.
I assume once the liner is compromised problems are soon to show up?
Thanks, Mike
Old 11-16-2018, 03:54 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 804 Likes on 552 Posts

Correct assumption about the liner and the tank. Once the gas gets into the crack it will work it's way between the tank and the liner. But before I did all that I would make sure that the rubber vent line that coms off the top of the tank and goes to the charcoal cannister is not the issue. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:56 AM
sambrand
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

you can recoat the tank and reseal it but this requires complete removal and repair of the old tank, so for the time and effort your better off just to replace the tank, especially if the car sits for extended months any exposed inside portion of the tank will continue to degrade so you cant just fix the problem spot but rather need to re do the entire tank anyway. but def check that it is the liner, don't want to replace the tank if its something simple as a vent.

Last edited by sambrand; 11-17-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas tank issue

Quick Reply: Gas tank issue