C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

distributor

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 03:35 PM
Mike B Smith
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default distributor

Can anyone recommend a good budget electronic distributor and remote coil combo i have seen them on ebay for 99 dollars, they include the module and the coil, I have the HEi at the moment but I need more space with the smaller cap, are these any good, any views would be appreciated, also do they use the full 12v (no ballast resistor}
Go to next slide
SBC BBC Small & Big Block Chevy 350 454 Electronic Distributor w/ E-Core Coil!
Old 11-22-2018, 05:03 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Last edited by derekderek; 11-22-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I am not the type that goes for 'budget' stuff when it comes to ignition parts. It goes back to: "You get what you paid for" scenario.

I use MSD a lot and have installed their products on cars that did have a point distributor and wanted an upgrade by having the 6A ignition box added also..

AS for this type you are showing I cannot say if it is good or not due to I have never used it.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Mike B Smith (11-22-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 08:29 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,389 Likes on 3,961 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I would spend the money on a good name brand that is service tested. Going with a chinese knock off will generally cost more because you will end up buying 5 of them in the long run because they are cheap in every aspect, ie quality of manufacture, quality of material in all parts, quality of engineering, etc...

Yes somethings can be bought on the cheap but important parts shouldnt be, and most corvette specific components shouldnt be, but we get alot of chinese repop parts and they don't fit or last worth a crap, especially switches. Theres alot of threads on that here.

I used to work for a firearms manufacturer that decided to go cheap and use MIM parts in their firearms instead of machined parts. Thier savings is pennies on the part but it adds up when they produce millions of parts. But they dont pass on the savings or report the part change to the consumer. When you NEED a firearm either because you are a soldier, a law enforcement officer or a civilian practicing self defense, someones life depends on that firearm going bang. The failure rate of a Metal Injected Part is fairly high compared to a machined part, I would not want to have my life to depend on a fire control component failing under normal use. The way they save money on car parts is the same, mass produced components that are injected instead of machined. They will break. and we end up with crap.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:15 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I am a big bargain hunter, i love building for cheap and if savvy it works out well,

I go into any buy hoping i get what i believe im paying for
Sometimes i win and sometimes its a fail and seems price has little bearing any more, there was a time a cat could buy the most expensive and know he got a good one, its just sadly not true any more

Several years back i bought the budget hei tach drive dizzy off ebay for my 69 vette about the same time worlds apart i bought a ebay cheap v/c advance electronic dizzy for my acvw trike.

Out if irony when i swapped my 383 for a 454 the guy i swapped with had bought the same hei dizzy i had,

We both have 1000s of trouble free miles, the trike, it has at least 1000 trouble free miles,
Not saying go buy a cheap ebay dizzy, im saying they worked fine for me,

I do wish i had gone small head with remote coil not big hei.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:15 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,955 Posts

The prior owner of my 73 installed a cheap eBay HEI distributor almost ten years ago.
Its still working but I keep my fingers crossed every time I drive it because I have no confidence in the unit.
I will be installing an MSD unit with a 6AL box when I rebuild the motor.
The worst thing about the cheap unit is I haven't found any part numbers or manufactures name on the unit to find replacement parts to have on hand when I do have an issue.
As stated above, I would stay clear of cheap eBay components.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:41 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

I have heard this one will work, although I have not verified. https://www.summitracing.com/search/...0%2b4294944555
Old 11-23-2018, 02:57 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,389 Likes on 3,961 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

pertronix has been around for a while. They have a good reputation. I have a lectric limited breakerless ignition upgrade on a stock corvette ditributer that has been working really well for 2 years

https://www.lectriclimited.com/vehic...del/65?cat=736
Old 11-23-2018, 03:36 PM
wilcar
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 162 Posts

I agree with Rogers, find a used Delco points distributor and have Lars rebuild and recurve it for you. I have had two Delco points units rebuilt and recurved and have zero problems. My builder said the cheap Chinese units he has seen are marginal for sure, mainly have poor modules in them! Hard finding quality modules these days as I have had two "quality" hei modules go out on my old Chevy pickup in the last 6 months. Zero problems with my points dizzies in my 65 Gto and 84 carbed C4.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:08 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

I think OP is looking to replace his current large cap hei with a small cap hei type distributor with external coil that uses only a 12 volt input and not a resistor or resistor wire and the terminal on the starter solenoid
Old 11-23-2018, 04:35 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike B Smith
Can anyone recommend a good budget electronic distributor and remote coil combo i have seen them on ebay for 99 dollars, they include the module and the coil, I have the HEi at the moment but I need more space with the smaller cap, are these any good, any views would be appreciated, also do they use the full 12v (no ballast resistor}
Go to next slide
SBC BBC Small & Big Block Chevy 350 454 Electronic Distributor w/ E-Core Coil!
Does your HEI distributor have tach cable drive, or has your tach been converted to electronic?
Old 11-23-2018, 04:52 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,157 Likes on 739 Posts

Looks like a 72 - you need a cable drive distributor. You can purchase a rebuilt one and install an electronic conversion. MSD and Accel make great units, but they are not cheep.

Get notified of new replies

To distributor

Quick Reply: distributor