C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 wiper only working at one speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 04:36 PM
angecarl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1969 wiper only working at one speed

Have a question, my wipers seem to work only on one speed in either the LO or HI switch position. My concern is that the RED/WHITE wire coming from the limit switch is not plugged into the motor and my motor has NO place for it to plug in, is that my 1 speed trouble?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Carl
Old 11-25-2018, 06:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Carl,
NUMEROUS QUESTIONS...so please answer.

1.) Do you still have the wiper door that works on vacuum???

2.) Does the wiper motor have a hole in the side of the main housing on the side that is near the master cylinder where you would see where a grommet would go and the wire come out of it??? Like in the photo below.

Now a wiper motor without this wire CAN BE used BUT it will require you change how you turn it on to make it work.... IF you still have the wiper door functional.

The wiper motors for a 1969 to a 1982 are basically all the same electrically when it comes to how the PARK, LOW, and HIGH speed work.

3.) Do you have a 12 volt DC test light or voltmeter??? If you do... you may need to check this.

ON the front of the motor there is a connector that has 3 wires in it all ina a row., DISCONNECT IT. Usign your test light you attach to a 12 volt power source....you are going to check the GROUNDS on the OUTER TWO wires in that 3-wire connector.

Turn your ignition switch on.

When you have the wiper switch OFF...check the outer two terminals and ONLY ONE should be grounded. THEN turn the switch to LOW and BOTH of the outer two wires should be grounded. THEN go to HIGH speed and the ONE wire that WAS NOT grounded when it was in PARK should now be grounded and the one that was grounded should not be grounded.

Check this and see if it is correct..

NOW...with the key on....the CENTER terminal in that 3-wire connector should have battery voltage to it.

Also the main housing in the photo above where the wire is coming out of MUST BE grounded also.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 11-27-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:31 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Here are the main articles and videos on the web site to help you.

Upload this first... http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...-with-test.pdf

Then review the items at this link. http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/page/2/?yt=1969&s=wiper

And then review the following.... you'll find your answer.

Video on testing the motor:
1969-1972

Video on testing the switch

Wiper Motor Bench Test 69-72

1969-1976 Corvette Wiper Motor Bench Testing and Some Relay Repair Help

Ohhhhhh sooooo Free Simple schematic.

Willcox-

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 11-25-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:26 PM
angecarl
Intermediate

Answers in BOLD....

Originally Posted by DUB
Carl,
NUMEROUS QUESTIONS...so please answer.

1.) Do you still have the wiper door that works on vacuum??? - NO being converted to electric

2.) Does the wiper motor have a hole in the side of the main housing on the side that is near the master cylinder where you would see where a grommet would go and the wire come out of it??? Like in the photo below. - NO, I cannot find one.

Now a wiper motor without this wire CAN BE used BUT it will require you change how oyu turn it on to make it work.... IF you till have the wiper door functional.

The wiper motors for a 1969 to a 1982 are basically all the same electrically when it comes to how the PARK, LOW, and HIGH speed work.

3.) Do you have a 12 volt DC test light or voltmeter??? If oyu do you may need to check this.

ON teh fortn fothe motor ther is a connector that ash 3 wires in ti all ina a row., DISCONNECT IT. Usign your test light youa ttach to a 12 volt power sourece....youar going to vcheckth GROUNDS onteh OUTER TWO wies inthat 3-wire conenctor.

Turn your ignition switch on.

When you have the wiper switch OFF...check the outer two terminals and ONLY ONE should be grounded. THEN turn the switch to LOW and BOTH of the outer two wires should be grounded. THEN go to HIGH speed and the ONE wire that WAS NOT grounded when it was in PARK should now be grounded and the one that was grounded should not be grounded. - When in PARK = Green wire grounded. LOW = GREEN & BLUE grounded, HI = BLUE grounded

Check this and see if it is correct..

NOW...with the key on....the CENTER terminal in that 3-wire connector should have battery voltage to it. - YELLOW = 12V

Also the main housing in the photo above where the wire is coming out of MUST BE grounded also. - Ran a new dedicated ground to chassis.

DUB
Old 11-26-2018, 07:36 PM
angecarl
Intermediate

Willcox, I appreciate the videos, watched and tested the switch inside the car and downloaded the diagram also. From that video found that I needed to run a seperate ground because the top portion of center console is broke into!! It was just odd that I have the RED\WHITE wire but nothing to plug it into. My dad gave me this car this year and have been working on it to get it road worthy with a LS 6.0L swap. The car is far from show worthy and had been sitting for years, but I have some priceless memories in this car with my dad. I'm out to prove him that this fuel injection motor is better than the old SBC 350 I took out (he raced with). Just trying to get it back so he can kick a few wheels again with it. Now to watch the other videos you posted for me, THANKS!!

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Here are the main articles and videos on the web site to help you.

Upload this first... http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...-with-test.pdf

Then review the items at this link. http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/p...t=1969&s=wiper

And then review the following.... you'll find your answer.

Video on testing the motor:
1969-1972

Video on testing the switch

Wiper Motor Bench Test 69-72

1969-1976 Corvette Wiper Motor Bench Testing and Some Relay Repair Help

Ohhhhhh sooooo Free Simple schematic.

Willcox-
Old 11-26-2018, 07:45 PM
angecarl
Intermediate

Just noting ... with the 3 wire plugged into motor and the switch in HI - I back probed the wire and BLUE is grounded, green is not. With the switch in LOW - back probed BLUE is grounded and GREEN is grounded but wipers do not slow down. Same results as unplugged.

So I am able to see some numbers on the motor itself (9691869) and a quick "Google" shows it is for many years but I just picked one "1974 GMC Sprint (Front w/o Delay)"
Is w/o Delay meaning just a 1spd motor?

Thanks,
Carl

Last edited by angecarl; 11-26-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:33 AM
DUB
Race Director

Without delay means it is not set up for intermittent wipers or 'delay wipers' like you more than likely have on your other car now. So it should not matter.

I assume when you turn your wipers off they do go into PARK???

From what I can tell you is that your wiper switch IS doing what it is supposed to do BUT the motor may be messed up. It should NOT matter if you have the RED wire attached to it coming from your limit switch on the cowl to make it work. THAT red wire will come into effect when you want to use your wipers and raise the wiper door. Where there is another way in doing it to by-pass it. But seeing how you may need motor....get the correct one.....OR not get the correct one due to you are planning on not having the wiper door open using vacuum.

It will depend on if you want ONE switch to make your wiper door opened and then the wipers come on or use two switches.

DUB
Old 11-27-2018, 12:12 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

That's not the correct motor for the car, it doesn't have the limit switch connection wire on it. Your motor should look like the one below. See the extra wire coming out of the top (in the picture but that is actually the bottom of the motor). This wire runs out the bottom to the wiper door limit switch.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 11-27-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Ernie,
You might have missed it but I had already posted what the correct wiper motor looks like back in POST#4.

But as you know a motor without that wire can be used but there will be a different method to open the wiper door so the motor will work and not bind up or conflict with the wiper door. I know this due to I have one customer who has it that way.

DUB
Old 11-27-2018, 07:19 PM
Bills17n72
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 514 Likes on 360 Posts

angecarl think about this ,how often do you really think you will be turning the wipers on ,maybe once a year ,on my 72 the last four years ,I think I turned them on just to see if they still work!!
Old 11-27-2018, 10:26 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DUB
Ernie,
You might have missed it but I had already posted what the correct wiper motor looks like back in POST#4.

But as you know a motor without that wire can be used but there will be a different method to open the wiper door so the motor will work and not bind up or conflict with the wiper door. I know this due to I have one customer who has it that way.

DUB
Dub... I'm old... wore out..

I don't see it on post 4.... I'm probably touched or bit ignorant and not scared to admit it...... lol But I didn't see it.

Either way.. the OP has both our ears and I don't think he could have a better set of ears watching his post..

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 11-28-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:58 AM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Dub... I'm old... wore out..

I don't see it on post 4.... I'm probably touched or bit ignorant and not scared to admit it...... lol But I didn't see it.

Either way.. the OP has both our ears and I don't think he could have a better set of ears watching his post..
No worries Ernie. I mess up often on the forum also due to 'things' going on.

I ...just like you....have so much going on sometimes I feel I need to 'pump the brakes' and slow down. But even if I am sitting in a chair...my head is racing with things to do or needing to be done.

I AGREE...he should be able to fix this.

DUB

Old 12-12-2018, 03:23 PM
Kerz
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

DUB and Ernie,
I for one really appreciate this info! I'm currently working on my brother's 69 wipers. This car was taken apart over the past several years, to include frame replacement and new wiring harness. Plus all the interior removed. They put the body back on and most the wiring installed but not terminated. So away I'm stuck with trying to bring it all together. Dash is all installed and most of the interior.
Vic
Old 12-13-2018, 10:16 AM
DUB
Race Director

Vic,
I hope that it all goes well and you get them working.

If you run into any problems in how the wiper door acts.....let us know.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Kerz (12-15-2018)
Old 01-07-2019, 09:45 AM
Kerz
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Vic,
I hope that it all goes well and you get them working.

If you run into any problems in how the wiper door acts.....let us know.

DUB
DUB
just now back the project. Working step by step thru this process. Initially you outlined a voltage/ground check procedure for the motor wiring plugs.
Key on.
Wiper switch off. 12 vdc to green wire. Yellow and Lt blue 280 mv. Red wire has 90 mv.
Same for low and high speeds.
Same either limit switch engaged or disengaged.
Turned the service switch both ways.
Thanks
Vic

Last edited by Kerz; 01-07-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:58 AM
DUB
Race Director

With the key ON......UNPLUG the three wire connector that plugs into the front of your wiper motor... the YELLOW wire should get 12 volts to it. Because if you look at the wiring schematic in POST #3 THAT yellow wire is getting 12 volts from the 25 amp fuse for your wipers. So if you are not getting 12 volts ...then check your fuse to see if it is blown or dirty terminals in the fuse panel.

The GREEN and DARK blue wires in the SAME three wire connector that the YELLOW wire is in ARE NOT 12 volt power wires. They are a controlled SWITCHED GROUND to make the wiper motor work in the different speeds/park.

Have you preformed any of the tests in the links that Willcox has kindly provided?

Helping you out will require you to do like you are doing and be very specific in what you let us know what you find when you perform a test.

Such as... IS the motor housing GROUNDED. If it is not....it will not work,

The small red wire going into the side of your wiper motor MUST have 12 volts on it when the wiper door is UP and the switch under your steering column is turned to the correct position.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 wiper only working at one speed

Quick Reply: 1969 wiper only working at one speed