C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1975 4 speed L-82 not turning over

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:30 PM
Devon047
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1975 4 speed L-82 not turning over

Hi all,

I’m new on here and new to cars. Got into a bad MC accident so it was time for a new hobby! I. apologize if this is a stupid question or is covered somewhere else.

just got a 1975 4 speed L-82. The horn wasn’t working and I was getting fuel boil. So last rainy day I decided to fix the horn (the contact pin fell out)) and I put a spacer under the carb for the fuel boil. While I was at it I rebuilt the carb. Now when I try to start it, the lights come on (including the headlights & tail lights) and the buzzer buzzes, but it won’t ceank at all. Battery connections are secure. Not sure why this would happen since it started right up every time before I worked on it.... help the newbee please!!! 🙏🙏🙏

Updae.... someone suggested I pump the clutch while turning the ignition. I got a pop & puff of electrical smoke somewhere by the power steering unit when I tried it...

Last edited by Devon047; 12-12-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:48 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Are you aware of the clutch safety switch attached to the clutch pedal designed to prevent you from starting the car in gear unless the clutch is fully depressed? Try jumping the switch to see if that is the cause of your problem.
Did you actually check the voltage of your battery with a meter, has to be 12 or more volts to start.
When you say power steering unit, do you mean the power steering pump or some other component?
Old 12-13-2018, 06:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Old 12-18-2018, 05:36 PM
Devon047
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
Are you aware of the clutch safety switch attached to the clutch pedal designed to prevent you from starting the car in gear unless the clutch is fully depressed? Try jumping the switch to see if that is the cause of your problem.
Did you actually check the voltage of your battery with a meter, has to be 12 or more volts to start.
When you say power steering unit, do you mean the power steering pump or some other component?
Thanks for the reply! I tried jumping the switch and that didn't help. I took the battery to the local auto parts store and they tested it and said it was fine. I found a connection on the engine side of the firewall that appears to be part of the security unit (key hole on the driver side front fender) which is where the smoke / short was located. It appears to have a button on it. I hit the button and it started right after that. Not sure if that was actually a reset, or if just messing with those wires. Thanks again!
Old 12-19-2018, 12:05 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

the switch on the fender is for the alarm system. If you have a "security unit" it is not factory. Can you post a picture of it.

Get notified of new replies

To 1975 4 speed L-82 not turning over

Quick Reply: 1975 4 speed L-82 not turning over