C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its Windshield time !

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 08:51 AM
hamck
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Its Windshield time !

Its time for me to install my windshield. I've done a search on this site as well as others. Everything I've read states to apply the adhesive / tape / damming strips whatever your using, to the glass then install the window. It seems to me, that installing it to the pinch welds would be easer but nobody seems to do that. what's the difference? Does it really matter? Also I've read that the pinch weld should be painted / primed only / bare metal. I'm at the point that I don't know what to do. I was going to just let a window guy do it but others say they had problems with the trim not fitting properly ( glass set too low in the frame ) Can someone please enlighten me on what worked for them?
Thanks
Old 01-15-2019, 10:11 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

A good glass guy will do it correctly and install the trim correctly. I have had mine done twice due to pitting and cracks, and it's fine.

The paint BS would not keep me up at night.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:42 AM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 148 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I had a local glass company do mine. They did use the urethane sealer instead of the butyl tape. I have also heard of what you are saying but I was told it was because the glass now is thinner than OEM.They spaced the windshield back to the correct height so the trim fits correct.
John

The following users liked this post:
jackson (01-16-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 01:50 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

When I did the windshield on my 69 I found the original glass was about .275" thick and the new one is only .205" so whatever you use for a damming strip has to be thicker or you will have a big trim gap. The original strip thickness used by GM was 5/16" but should be increased to 3/8" to maintain a proper gap. Test fit everything more than once before you seal it in. The damming strip has to be precisely placed on the glass, not the car as you then run your bead of bonding sealer just outside and against the strip right at the edge of the glass. If you run the strip and sealer too far inside it will all be visible through the windshield and that new glass has no extra on the edges for margin down the sides at the A pillar.
The following 2 users liked this post by CanadaGrant:
LenWoodruff (01-16-2019), sjstub (01-23-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 07:55 PM
hamck
Instructor

Thanks guys.... I plan on dry fitting the glass later maybe ill get a better idea of how it fits then. I don't have original glass, mine measures approx. .200 3/16? It just seems to me that putting the damming strip on the edge of the pinch weld and backing it up with adhesive it would be easier for me. ill be doing it by myself. If I could find a glass guy that knows about the problem with the trim, I'd pay him. Around here, everybody's an expert until the jobs done. then its too late.

Last edited by hamck; 01-16-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:32 PM
MBrianB
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 46 Posts

I am planning on doing mine this way.

The following users liked this post:
LenWoodruff (01-18-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 02:54 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

This one also gives useful info on installing the damming strip and sealer.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:23 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

After I installed the glass with the help of my wife on one side, I used VersaChem Mega Grey OEM Import Gasket Maker to seal the long line between the stainless windshield trim and upper header or T-trim. It is the closest thing I have ever seen to stock and was easy. My gaps turned out perfect with 3/8 tall by 1/4 wide dam strip. Just plan it out, think about it and it will work. All that trim below is original 1969. In the bottom pic I used 1/4" spacers (white) sticking up at each top corner because in 69 the bottom support clip was off center and would allow the drivers side to sag before it dried if you replaced the windshield. I think GM put a clip on the firewall on the drivers side to prevent this in 70 or 71.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 01-17-2019 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:00 AM
hamck
Instructor

WOW how did your trim to shine like that? that's a perfect fit. So you put a sealer between the glass trim and the t top trim. I didn't know it went that way. If I could get mine 1/2 that good id be happy. I seen both of those vids. looks simple enough. But I'm sure I can screw it up if I try hard enough.
thanks guys

Get notified of new replies

To Its Windshield time !

Quick Reply: Its Windshield time !