C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C oil amount after full flush of system

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 08:43 PM
H8 mondays
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Default A/C oil amount after full flush of system

I now have fully flushed my a/c system on my early 76 and have new hoses and A6 compressor I am ready to assemble the system this weekend but I have found different information using the search function and I was hoping someone could enlighten me on the amount of oil needed and how much to put in each item and can i just pour the oil into the condenser hose and suction line for the vir.. Thanks
Phil
Old 02-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

6 oz. I would put 2oz in comp., 2 oz in accumulator, and the rest in the evap.
Or 3 in comp and 3 in accumulator.
It will distribute itself.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:06 PM
gr8t73
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by H8 mondays
I now have fully flushed my a/c system on my early 76 and have new hoses and A6 compressor I am ready to assemble the system this weekend but I have found different information using the search function and I was hoping someone could enlighten me on the amount of oil needed and how much to put in each item and can i just pour the oil into the condenser hose and suction line for the vir.. Thanks
Phil
Is your system completely stock or R134 conversion? What type of oil will you be using?
Old 02-08-2019, 12:24 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

the standard system is comp=6oz, cond=1oz, drier=1oz, evap=3 oz, which equals 11 total. Now that's out of the C2 books. Don't add to inlet as the oil will/can cause damage as it tries to compress. Should actually be done at each point.
The A6 has a oil pump and will start starving the bearings and front seal when under 4 oz. Do not put more than 6 oz in comp or another problem will come up.

Dom
Old 02-08-2019, 07:09 PM
H8 mondays
Advanced

Originally Posted by gr8t73
Is your system completely stock or R134 conversion? What type of oil will you be using?
This is the stock system on a 76 c3 including the A6 long compressor and a new VIR. I will be using mineral oil and R12 Freon. I will add the oil into the Condenser, VIR, and compressor sump, after the system is assembled I am planing on rotating the compressor by hand 15 to 20 full revolutions to help displace the oil through the system. Then pull a vacuum on the system for 1 hour then let sit overnight and check vacuum level. If system is still showing full vacuum I will then charge with R12. If any of this sounds like a bad Idea please let me know. All help i greatly appreciated.
Phil
Old 02-09-2019, 11:55 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by H8 mondays
This is the stock system on a 76 c3 including the A6 long compressor and a new VIR. I will be using mineral oil and R12 Freon. I will add the oil into the Condenser, VIR, and compressor sump, after the system is assembled I am planing on rotating the compressor by hand 15 to 20 full revolutions to help displace the oil through the system. Then pull a vacuum on the system for 1 hour then let sit overnight and check vacuum level. If system is still showing full vacuum I will then charge with R12. If any of this sounds like a bad Idea please let me know. All help i greatly appreciated.
Phil
Didn't know if I caught you too late or not.

I have a chart that shows the amount of oils and freon to use. I'll need to dig it up if you want.

Craig
Old 02-09-2019, 11:58 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Rat
Didn't know if I caught you too late or not.

I have a chart that shows the amount of oils and freon to use. I'll need to dig it up if you want.

Craig
Sorry it's a R12-134A conversion chart.
Not what I thought it was.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:28 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Phil,
I am almost sure all passenger side mounted A6 compressors use the amount I posted. But I would not expect the remaining 5 oz to make it to the evap @ 3 oz! the drier may end up with most of that. I would add to each instead of hoping the right amounts get where they need to be.

Dom
Old 02-09-2019, 09:08 PM
H8 mondays
Advanced

Originally Posted by domenic tallarita
Phil,
I am almost sure all passenger side mounted A6 compressors use the amount I posted. But I would not expect the remaining 5 oz to make it to the evap @ 3 oz! the drier may end up with most of that. I would add to each instead of hoping the right amounts get where they need to be.

Dom

Thanks Dom for the help. I put 3 oz in the sump of the VIR as I could not find a way to add to the Evap without it running out, 6 oz in the compressor thru the drain plug after draining the compressor and tuning the clutch by hand to try to get all the shipping oil out, then 2 oz in the condenser after the liquid line was connected. I then put the system into a vacuum for 30 min and turned off the valves on my gauges to leave over night and check vacuum level in the morning. If vacuum is still at 26" as it was when sealed the valves then it"s off to the A/C shop on Monday. (weather permitting since it just started to snow and is expected to snow until Monday morning.) for a fresh charge of R12. I hope I never have to remove the VIR again one of the worst jobs I have done on my C3. :*****:

Get notified of new replies

To A/C oil amount after full flush of system

Quick Reply: A/C oil amount after full flush of system