C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 rear rotor runout

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 08:03 PM
John Vance
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 1979 rear rotor runout

Ok I am so confused here. I have changed all the bearings and bushings etccc. I bought new directional drilled rotors and new pads. I cleaned the hubs and smoothed all. I have only .002 end play on bearing. Now when put rotor on and torque to 70 ft lbs and put the dial indicator on it I can not get consistent readings. If I rotate forward they are completely diff then rotating backwards. Wth. ???? What have I missed?? I got the right side to get under the .005 mark but the left is crazy. Any help would be great
Old 02-09-2019, 08:30 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

To get proper readings, you need to have the gauge needle as close to parallel with the rotor surface as possible (less than 15*, for sure) and rotate the rotor so that it is moving "away" from the needle (rather than 'into' it). That will keep friction down and allow for smooth action of the needle.

"End play" is axial movement of the rotor on its bearings. "Runout" is the amount of wobble obtained when the rotor is rotated thru one full revolution. It is a measure of out-of-squareness of the rotor to its axis of rotation.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:19 PM
John Vance
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default reply

Got it. I paused and reset and tightened up things. Also turned rotor away from indicator. I’m shimmimg now it’s working yeaaaaasaasa. Thanks so much. Some times I geuss you got yo step back. Thanks
Originally Posted by 7T1vette
To get proper readings, you need to have the gauge needle as close to parallel with the rotor surface as possible (less than 15*, for sure) and rotate the rotor so that it is moving "away" from the needle (rather than 'into' it). That will keep friction down and allow for smooth action of the needle.

"End play" is axial movement of the rotor on its bearings. "Runout" is the amount of wobble obtained when the rotor is rotated thru one full revolution. It is a measure of out-of-squareness of the rotor to its axis of rotation.

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 rear rotor runout

Quick Reply: 1979 rear rotor runout