C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 battery install help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 12:19 AM
mkalman4867
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1969 battery install help

So, it appears (based on the diagram from CA below that I needed to purchase some pieces for the hold-down as my batter was just sitting in its well...not held-down. I bought the kit from CA, and understand how to install the retainer with the bolt (sits behind the battery) but I am not clear on how these other pieces go...

Trying to understand where / how the front and rear reinforcement and clamp pieces go...Can someone help me here? The assembly manual is equally vague!

thanks!!

Last edited by mkalman4867; 02-16-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:33 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

The front and rear reinforcement pieces are under the car and riveted to the fiberglass. They reinforce and provide strength to the glass from below. The battery is dropped in and slid up against the front clamp which is riveted to the front reinforcement below. The clamp is then installed against the rear of the battery and is held down to the underside rear reinforcement piece with the bolt.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:06 AM
mkalman4867
Instructor

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
The front and rear reinforcement pieces are under the car and riveted to the fiberglass. They reinforce and provide strength to the glass from below. The battery is dropped in and slid up against the front clamp which is riveted to the front reinforcement below. The clamp is then installed against the rear of the battery and is held down to the underside rear reinforcement piece with the bolt.
ok...thanks. Looks like I may have bought some stuff I don’t need. Not the last time I'm sure!

So I need to get under the car and see what’s actually there. As it stands now, the rear clamp is installed and does seem to keep the battery from jostling around but I can lift it out if I really try.

Last edited by mkalman4867; 02-16-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:11 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

There is a recess at the bottom edge of the battery where the lips on the front clamp and the rear retainer fit so they can lock the battery in place. If the front clamp is not riveted in place or is backward or upside down, that lip will not engage with the battery case. Same with the rear retainer. And if the battery you bought does not have the recess along the bottom edges (front and back), there will be not place for the retainer and clamp to grab onto it.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:35 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Are you sure that your battery is the correct size? There should be a number on top on a sticker.

For my small block 73, Group Size 75 is standard. I think Group 78 fits as well.

Last edited by CA-Legal-Vette; 02-16-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:23 AM
mkalman4867
Instructor

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
There is a recess at the bottom edge of the battery where the lips on the front clamp and the rear retainer fit so they can lock the battery in place. If the front clamp is not riveted in place or is backward or upside down, that lip will not engage with the battery case. Same with the rear retainer. And if the battery you bought does not have the recess along the bottom edges (front and back), there will be not place for the retainer and clamp to grab onto it.
There is a recess on the battery and that's what the rear clamp is engaged into. I am not clear what the proper installation of the front clamp should be (again I can't really tell from the diagram) but I think it appears to be upside down...it definitely is riveted in.

Does anyone have any images that might help here?

Thanks very much for the input!!

Last edited by mkalman4867; 02-16-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:17 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

There should be a recess (notch) on the front and rear of the battery.
#6 is riveted to the car.
Install the battery and slide it forward so the recess in the battery goes into #6.
Install #1 and tighten the bolt #2.

Here's a picture.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:41 PM
mkalman4867
Instructor

Wow, that's truly helpful. Based on this and what I can see in the battery well, I think 6 is not riveted in properly. Next I guess I have to figure out how to remove the rivets without damaging anything. Can't thank you enough!
Old 02-16-2019, 05:49 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

I doubt that if its original.
Try flipping the clamp over. They dont work well upside down.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:01 PM
mkalman4867
Instructor

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
That's my plan...of course, my plans don't seem to be going the way I originally envisioned, but I'm learning!
Old 02-16-2019, 07:00 PM
Red Vert 02
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Here is a picture of the bottom of a 69 battery compartment. Does your front clamp look like this one ?
Old 02-17-2019, 10:18 PM
mkalman4867
Instructor

I was elbow deep in the alarm system and removing carpet so didn’t get to this today, but a thought hit me...the previous owner had put a Corvette America pad (yellow, kind of thick) beneath the battery. Wondering if that added padding is making the battery groove too high to engage the front clamp? I still need to see if the clamp is upside down, but maybe this is the issue?
Old 02-17-2019, 10:28 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mkalman4867
I was elbow deep in the alarm system and removing carpet so didn’t get to this today, but a thought hit me...the previous owner had put a Corvette America pad (yellow, kind of thick) beneath the battery. Wondering if that added padding is making the battery groove too high to engage the front clamp? I still need to see if the clamp is upside down, but maybe this is the issue?
Not the stationary clamp, the one with the bolt.

The pad, if too thick, could be an issue. If you have the loose parts, sit the battery on the bench, and hold the clamps to it by hand and see how they work.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:35 PM
mkalman4867
Instructor

The pad, if too thick, could be an issue. If you have the loose parts, sit the battery on the bench, and hold the clamps to it by hand and see how they work.
So, the one with the bolt does seem to be engaging the battery’s groove. I was talking about the one that’s riveted in. I need to pull the battery (what a PITA) and see what’s what.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:56 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mkalman4867

Old 02-17-2019, 11:49 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The stationary pad appears to be installed upside-down to me.There is no 'lip' to engage with the groove in the front [bottom] edge of the battery. It would not surprise me that it had been installed that way at the factory (or at the vendor and then installed at the factory). Mistakes were made; many made their way into a production vehicle.

When the battery would have been installed at the end of the production line, and it could not engage with that front clamp, it would have just been completed as it was and sent out the door with the thought that it would be covered as a 'warranty' repair when the customer discovered it.

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 battery install help

Quick Reply: 1969 battery install help