C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine builder's/hot rodder's bible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 08:12 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

my very first two builds / overhauls happened same year I turned 11 years old. I had no instructions, manuals or personal guidance for either.

1. a *** 049 golden bee glow-plug 2-cycle motor for model airplane. About as simple internal combustion motor as exists. *** .049 was sort of the small block chevy of the model airplane hobby.

2. a junked rotary 4-cycle lawnmower I'd found tossed down a ditch embankment. Simplicity only second to 049. Dad wouldn't give me a raise because I was using his mower he'd paid for. Me getting my own pos running and working really changed our dynamic for the good of both.

Don't think I could overstate how much those early hands-on lessons helped me; both then and now.

In stark contrast, a bit older neighbor girl discovered me same year; they've been a freakin' mind-numbing puzzle ever since.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:31 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
Depends upon the person. Not everyone wants to slog through 800 pages to get "good enough" information to get the job done. 800 pages turns some people off.

For my other hobby, I enjoy reading 800 page Brewing text books; for my engine rebuild / C3 hobby I want to understand how it works and just know roughly how to do something "good enough" to get it done. With the car I'm focused on getting a reasonable end result within a reasonable timeline.

Adam
I guess it does....but there is a reason it is 800 pages....and if 800 pages turns a person off....then to me they have will have a half assed point of view on what it really takes to design, machine, and assemble a n engine professionally.
And when it comes to engines....”good enough” is not good enough.

Jebby
Old 02-21-2019, 10:09 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I think 'good enough' is good enough for a guy like myself who just used off the shelf bolt-on performance parts. No exotic machining, port matching, extensive carb work, etc. I'm pretty sure my engine is at least over 90% of it's performance potential. I guess I could spend lots more $$$ to get more hp but then it might not be streetable anymore. So, for the street, that's good enough for me. Obviously, for professional racers and ocd types, then good enough doesn't cut it. But most folks in here are street guys who don't need 100% power output from their engine which is darn hard to acieve and darn expensive even for the professional race teams.
The following users liked this post:
bigfish_Oh (02-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Engine builder's/hot rodder's bible?