C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine builder's/hot rodder's bible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 11:13 PM
brassplyer
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Engine builder's/hot rodder's bible?

Is there a resource that you feel comprehensively and exhaustively covers everything related to the science/theory and practical hands-on how-to of building and tuning an engine the right way whether older tech or newer? Including forced induction, carburetors, fuel injection, cams, ignition, what specialized tools you need, how to speak knowledgeably with the machine shop, etc. etc.?

Last edited by brassplyer; 02-16-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:15 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

The quick answer is No. There are quite a few very good books on all the subjects You mentioned but as we speak they are getting out of date and there are very few new ones to replace them. In the past when ever I have started a Project I would first buy the appropriate book and research it before first. I have "How to rebuild the SBC,BBC etc" Chassis Books, EFI Suspension Bodywork You name it the shelf is full. I recently needed to rebuild my 4L80e Trans out of my Silverado so I just searched for the appropriate book and wala, there are no books available. Or very few. You can blame the internet and modern times. Theres no money to be made selling Paper Books that's never going to be a best seller. This Web Sight is guilty as well. So if You can't beat them join them ! I took a 40" TV that was near dead and set it up on my workbench and completely rebuilt my Automatic Transmission having never done one before using U-Tube Videos. I'd say it was easier than flipping pages. Plus there are more than one way to do a lot of procedures and You can watch different people to the same thing different ways.
The following users liked this post:
73racevette (02-20-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 01:41 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

tall order.
that all-encompassing resource is YOU and the knowledge you acquire through direct hands-on work experience, face-to-face personal interactions, study and reflection.

I doubt anyone could become proficient via mostly social media, bulletin boards and periodicals.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:23 AM
76strokervette
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 156 Posts

Maybe this https://www.competitionproducts.com/.../#.XGkLr1VKgdU

Last edited by 76strokervette; 02-17-2019 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:18 AM
brassplyer
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 76strokervette
Interesting, thanks. I see the same people also publish books called "Upper Engine Assembly" and "Lower Engine Assembly". I wonder what the differences are.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:44 AM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by brassplyer
Interesting, thanks. I see the same people also publish books called "Upper Engine Assembly" and "Lower Engine Assembly". I wonder what the differences are.
So----if I only buy the "Lower" book, use it and then roll the engine over the lower becomes the upper and I can----- no, wait--- if I buy the upper. Ouch, ouch, ouch! Now my head hurts.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:34 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
The quick answer is No. There are quite a few very good books on all the subjects You mentioned but as we speak they are getting out of date and there are very few new ones to replace them. In the past when ever I have started a Project I would first buy the appropriate book and research it before first. I have "How to rebuild the SBC,BBC etc" Chassis Books, EFI Suspension Bodywork You name it the shelf is full. I recently needed to rebuild my 4L80e Trans out of my Silverado so I just searched for the appropriate book and wala, there are no books available. Or very few. You can blame the internet and modern times. Theres no money to be made selling Paper Books that's never going to be a best seller. This Web Sight is guilty as well. So if You can't beat them join them ! I took a 40" TV that was near dead and set it up on my workbench and completely rebuilt my Automatic Transmission having never done one before using U-Tube Videos. I'd say it was easier than flipping pages. Plus there are more than one way to do a lot of procedures and You can watch different people to the same thing different ways.
Suggest you find a college where they offer automotive service curriculum for transmissions and see what text books they are using. There is usually a lab text book as well. I still have mine and they are quite handy. My books are too old for the 4L80E but newer books would likely cover it.
73racevette (02-20-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 12:08 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

45 to 50 years ago there were several publications on how to build a, performance or stock, big block or small block Chevy engine.
I built several using those books and never had a problem.
They were detailed with very good pictures and diagrams.
If you followed each step you could be successful.
Today it is almost a science to rebuild an engine or transmission, but I bet if you found one of the old books you could still take an old school block, heads and other components and get it done with no problems.
I trashed my old books years ago and wish I would have kept them.
Good luck
Old 02-17-2019, 02:31 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by brassplyer
Is there a resource that you feel comprehensively and exhaustively covers everything related to the science/theory and practical hands-on how-to of building and tuning an engine the right way whether older tech or newer? Including forced induction, carburetors, fuel injection, cams, ignition, what specialized tools you need, how to speak knowledgeably with the machine shop, etc. etc.?
Yes. It's this forum. What do want to know?
Old 02-17-2019, 03:14 PM
Flivver61
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Yes. It's this forum. What do want to know?
Exactly!
Old 02-17-2019, 03:50 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

The Reher Morrison book is pretty good......I used to keep one in my desk at the engine shop. I recommend it

Jebby
OldCarBum (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 12:36 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

How to build an engine is essentially unchanged from about a half hour after the small block went into production. What to install as an upgrade? Changes about every half hour these days.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:31 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Engine building is NOT an exact science. Therefore you will find many respectable resources/opinions. This forum is one of those very respectable resources A lot of theories and different philosophies out there and a lot of them are 100% correct.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:23 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Chevy High Performance Small-Block Chevy, Engine Building
170 large pages, 28 chapters, wonderful photos, a wealth of top-notch knowledge.
Publish in 2003, cost $19.95
Maybe Google can find it for you.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 02-19-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:25 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I've found this book to be helpful...

"How to Build a Small-Block Chevy for the Street" by Jim Richardson

It's available at Amazon.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Street Rat; 02-20-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:14 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

This Corvette Forum is probably the best source of accurate Information and for the solving of Corvette problems. There is a lot of experience here and it will help you for free provided you are polite and remember the year and other pertinent information in the post.

I love reading about the problems and their solutions, it will help make me a better troubleshooter and a "less broke" Corvette owner.

Having a Full set of the Factory Service Manuals for each particular Corvette you own is a basic requirement of Owning a Corvette.

No other book is as important to have (regarding Corvettes) if you plan to either do the work yourself or are paying for the labor it helps to understand the problem and how it is repaired.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:10 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Tall order for one book...

As far as practical, how to pull a motor and rebuild it including tools, etc.. I'm incredibly happy with this one so far and it's from 2015 so pretty up to date:
Amazon Amazon
That book has a GREAT section for what to know before going to a machine shop and even a detailed document at the end of the book that lists questions to ask and details to get from the machine shop. (Wish I would've read it first...)

As far as part's selection for power upgrades, David's Vizard's newest "How to build Max Power Chevy's" I also found very good, but I think he's got a new version due like this year:
Amazon Amazon
Both books are full of color photos everywhere and both are 160 pages.

Neither one of those really covers superchargers or turbochargers, though.

The Reher Morrison book I hear tons of good things about but it's 800 pages and I think it's for professional engine builders completely blueprinting an engine.

Adam

Get notified of new replies

To Engine builder's/hot rodder's bible?

Old 02-20-2019, 06:15 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
The Reher Morrison book I hear tons of good things about but it's 800 pages and I think it's for professional engine builders completely blueprinting an engine.

Adam
Is that not exactly what every builder or student should strive for?
The Reher Morrison book is the Bible......the Vizard stuff is more theory but still awesome to read....
The HP books “How to Rebuild a SBC” should be first on any new comers list though.....I read it front to back at the ripe old age of 9 the first time!!!!

Jebby
Old 02-20-2019, 07:01 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
Is that not exactly what every builder or student should strive for?
The Reher Morrison book is the Bible......the Vizard stuff is more theory but still awesome to read....
The HP books “How to Rebuild a SBC” should be first on any new comers list though.....I read it front to back at the ripe old age of 9 the first time!!!!

Jebby
Depends upon the person. Not everyone wants to slog through 800 pages to get "good enough" information to get the job done. 800 pages turns some people off.

For my other hobby, I enjoy reading 800 page Brewing text books; for my engine rebuild / C3 hobby I want to understand how it works and just know roughly how to do something "good enough" to get it done. With the car I'm focused on getting a reasonable end result within a reasonable timeline.

Adam
Old 02-20-2019, 07:14 PM
Rusted40
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I enjoy playing with software for different combinations.
This one is pretty advanced down to runner length and taper, header and collector type and tons of turbo and blowers to try.
There are also alot of premade combos to point you in the right direction.
http://www.motionsoftware.com/Dynomation6.htm

Building it in real life is a different story, but if you are realistic with your goal any decent engine builder should have no problems with it.
A safe bet is to copy what someone else has already done, budget is the only limit.

Quick Reply: Engine builder's/hot rodder's bible?