C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Column Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 05:25 AM
AAJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Steering Column Help

I hope someone could offer some advice.
The car is a 454, 71 convertible.
Would I be able to safely collapse the steering collumn enough to fit a double U-joint instead of the Rag joint. About 4 inches from box to shaft.
The reason for the U-joint is because the car is RHD in Australia & it looks like the collumn is not directly inline with the steering box & seems to put sideways pressure on the rag joint.
Would this style of U-joint work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Andy
Old 02-17-2019, 06:35 AM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

To use a double Cardan joints of the stile shown . You need to make sure the two shafts are paralell to function correctly .
Is it possible to loosen the bottom of the steering column and line up the two shafts to use a single uni joint .
as for the safety of collapsing the shaft . 4’’ Doesn’t leave much room if there is a accident .
Have you noticed just how much the frame distorts when you steer the car while parking that’s a good indicator of why there is a rag joint and not a uni.

bfit

Last edited by bfit; 02-17-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:35 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

My suggestion, not cheap or easy, and not seeing the car, would be to remove the column and dis assemble. Have the shaft shortened and resplined. Use a single joint on the column shaft and one on the steering box with a shaft between the two joints as long as possible to lessen the working angles of the joints. In other words figure out where to shorten the column going towards the firewall so the new intermediate shaft will clear the engine and/or exhaust manifolds. You may have to weld some sort of bearing support to the frame rail to support the new shaft. If you have headers, you may be able to- or have to- run the shaft between some of the primary tubes. Seems like a lot to think about, but you are talking about the steering system. Like brakes, not a good area to go cheap.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:20 AM
AAJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Thanks

Thankyou to both of you for your input.
I will first try to re-align the column & then go from there.
Cheers

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Column Help

Quick Reply: Steering Column Help