C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 center gauge clean and test

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 12:43 PM
Pmccooey
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts
Default 69 center gauge clean and test

On the occasional warm days I am organizing my interior pieces while waiting for my car to get back from paint. I was looking over the center gauge cluster and left side dash. When I bought my 69 it wasn’t running and I tore it apart so I have no idea if any of the gauges work. I would like to disassemble all the pieces, paint the trim and test all the gauges so I can either repair or replace them. I’ve searched around and found several great tech videos and write ups from Willcox but have other questions I can’t seem to find any answers for.

Looking quickly at the center gauge assembly yesterday (got cold again!), I was wondering how far down I can strip the trim? How do I remove the glass lenses? They seem to be individual in there?
I’ve read not to clean the lenses as it will leave tiny swirl marks. I was just going to wipe them gently with cloth used with glasses? Also wanted to remove them for painting trim.
Rear side has the usual surface rust areas that I want to blast and paint. Which grey looks factory. Again I’m building a resto mod but still like to keep things clean and close to original in places.
Does anyone know how to test oil pressure gauge out of car on a 69? Was trying to think of a pump or something I could build pressure. Would air pressure work or could it damage the unit? Was think air with pressure gauge starting at 10psi and slowly build up to 40 psi or so and see if gauge operates? I did check the original engine she I bought it to see if it turned over by hand, which it did. I then pulled the dizzy and ran the oil pump with a drill and the oil pressure gauge did build pressure so maybe I can leave it alone? I will run a SS line from the block to the gauge. I see everyone mentions the one from Summit but have found a few. Any part # and also looking for the best line so I never have to worry about that line!
Is there a rebuild kit out there for the whole package of gauges? I figure while it’s out I should probably replace all the resistors and insulators since they are 50 years old. Anything else I should do while its out and apart?
I upgraded the alternator so I’ll need to retire the the connection to the battery gauge but I don’t need to do anything to the gauge itself? Also haven’t seen a test for that gauge. I assume just put power to it with ground and see what it reads?
I’ve also read not to touch the face of the gauges as the paint used can brush right off. They look fine and I have no plans on touching those.

Thanks everyone!!
Pat
Old 02-17-2019, 01:53 PM
Jesse 982
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The Paragon Corvette on line catalog has a very nice exploded view of the gauge cluster and shows how it stacks together. The lens is one piece of clear plexiglass and can be polished up very nicely when taken apart. The actual gauge faces can be wiped clean as well with some deluded windex and a lint free cloth or q tip. You can also get a gasket kit to use during reassembly as the originals will be in poor shape most likely.
As far as testing the gauges Willcox Corvette tech has a lot of tests that can be performed. Text as apposed to videos in there tech section.
Best of luck

Jesse.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:05 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

To bench test the battery gauge:
Connect a ground to the TOP post and momentarily apply 12 volts to the BOTTOM post.
Needle should deflect downward.

Connect a ground to the BOTTOM post and momentarily apply 12 volts to the TOP post.
The needle should deflect upward.
The following users liked this post:
Pmccooey (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 05:55 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse 982
The lens is one piece of clear plexiglass and can be polished up very nicely when taken apart. The actual gauge faces can be wiped clean as well with some deluded windex and a lint free cloth or q tip.
Best of luck
Jesse.
Pmccooey: Stick with the original lens unless it is scratched really bad. I bought aftermarket and it looked clear but after installation I noticed that the reflections were very wavy. Just not nice and flat like the originals.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:17 PM
Pmccooey
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah the lenses are fine and I’m just trying to avoid scratching them in any way while I clean it up.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:05 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Willcox has lots of tutorials on the various gauges and how to check them out for function. I highly recommend that you find the site and review what clips will assist you in your efforts.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:33 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Testing the oil pressure gauge with accuracy is next to impossible unless you have a know pressure supply. We have a pump here that we use with a line so we can tell what the pressure on the line is and then compare that to the reading on the gauge. The factory oil pressure gauges were never that accurate though... so I'd just roll the dice and make sure the gauge works and not worry about accuracy.

As far as the lens... some reproductions are good, some suck. I used whats called "finesse it" made by 3M to clean the lenses if I'm using an old lens, it won't leave any marks but will clean the lens up just fine. You just have to use a very soft cloth when you do this.

As far as testing the other gauges, use this link.... you'll find more than enough info on how to test each and very other gauge. http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/?yt=1969&s=gauge

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 02-17-2019 at 09:34 PM. Reason: can't spell any longer... can't see either.... so typo's are common.

Get notified of new replies

To 69 center gauge clean and test

Quick Reply: 69 center gauge clean and test