C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I do next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 04:37 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by jackson
Leaking Intake Gaskets ... bolts loose

regular steel single edge blades and/or good penknife fine on those tough iron heads & china rail ... use a bit more care on aluminum manifold.

If you're Not subject to NCRS judging ... and have time to get em ... a set of new intake bolts in the "reduced head size with 12-point" version makes it a lot easier to get to & tighten them ... a dab of permatex #2 or rtv on threads helps prevent oil creep. Don't use stainless bolts.
Don't use stainless? Says who? ARP stainless are number one sellers.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 03-15-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:04 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

First, it's not an edict but advice; do with it as you wish.

stainless looks great and may be called for in a marine environ or desired for "show car bling" use.

I suppose finned aluminum oil pans, and chromed oil pans & timing covers are great sellers for Spectre as well.

but stainless tends to gall under higher torque (noting intake is not hi-tq) and is relatively soft.

for most external motor apps, a good grade plated steel is preferred by many builders.

That's my tale and I'm sittin' on it.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:30 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Default Sebring's WEC LMP on motortrend TV right now

FYI

Much less tiresome.

It's about 5:30pm east coast

Sebring WEC endurance & weathertec on Live TV right now on MotorTrend TV. Started 4PM ends just after midnight.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:45 AM
Dr1rrrr
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So I just got everything back together tonight and fired it up. It seemed to run about the same so I decided to attach the vacuum gauge to see if it would read any different but it unfortunately it still jumped around. So I decided to test other vacuum ports (I was currently hooked up to the head light vacuum source) so I attached it to the pcv vacuum and still the same jumping. So finally I attached it to the brake booster port and it only slightly moved around about +- a half an in of Mercury so it seemed better. After noticing this I thought my problem could be that the brake booster has a vacuum leak and I already thought it did before all this based on other stuff but anyway. I plugged the brake booster hose so it was out if the equation and tried measuring off the pcv port again but the same jumping happened this time too. so what do you guys think it happening here?
Old 03-28-2019, 12:46 AM
Dr1rrrr
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to add I don't know if my oil consumption issue has improved but I'm thinking it will be once I get a chance to drive it and found out.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:27 AM
Gunfighter13
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

I think you need to pull the heads. I would say bad value guides and seals. The gaskets looked like they were sealing to me.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:02 AM
73racevette
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

See post # 3. Potential valve guides. I would do a leak down test at this point to verify before you pull the heads.

Quick Reply: What should I do next?