C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Led headlight install

Old 03-11-2019, 06:41 AM
Greengear
CF Senior Member

Default Led headlight install

Bought one of each of the best rated Led headlights from Amazon. I think the left (passenger side ) one looks better. Both seem to have good light output. Both bulb products were about fifty bucks.
The stock headlight mounts were not compatible. I set aside the stock hardware and fabricated a bracket to hold the big square backed leds. The main market for 5-3/4 leds is for motorcycles. Led bulbs that fit the dished mounting surface of c3 corvette seem too expensive. Ill drive around for a week or so then order 3 more of the bulb that seems better.
making the brakets was more fun than expected. I enjoyed fabricating the small steel parts. The final product is nothing pretty but it does the job of holding the new lights and is not visible once the headlight covers go on.

Last edited by Greengear; 03-11-2019 at 06:45 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greengear For This Useful Post:
Bikespace (03-11-2019), caskiguy (03-14-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 11:43 AM
Richard454
CF Senior Member

Nice job working around the stock buckets.

I have a BMW headlight 'ring' that I'll cut up and do something similar.

Creative with the threaded rod!!

If you do the electric headlight conversion- I have a harness that'll open the lights then when you turn off the lights and leave on the parking lights on-they'll stay up and run the DRLs. Turn off- and they go down.

Richard
Old 03-11-2019, 05:40 PM
gdm78vette
CF Senior Member

Can you take a picture of them shinning on the garage door or a wall, I'd like to see the light pattern they cast, thanks.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:43 PM
M Pete
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Richard454 View Post
I have a BMW headlight 'ring' that I'll cut up and do something similar.
Richard, you better watch it with all of this BMW talk. You will upset the Corvette Gods!

Just joking BTW.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:45 PM
M Pete
CF Senior Member

Nice looking headlights. If I ever drove it in the dark I'd look at doing the same thing.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:23 AM
theandies
CF Senior Member

Location: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Just asking but what good to the halo DTRL do when your buckets are down? Do they make a weird glow in your grill with the buckets closed????
Old 03-12-2019, 06:35 AM
Richard454
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by theandies View Post
Just asking but what good to the halo DTRL do when your buckets are down? Do they make a weird glow in your grill with the buckets closed????
They still look pretty cool-

Originally Posted by M Pete View Post
Richard, you better watch it with all of this BMW talk. You will upset the Corvette Gods!

Just joking BTW.
I hear that NCRS is now doing a "Custom" class?!!! So it's all good!!

Old 03-12-2019, 08:02 AM
theandies
CF Senior Member

Location: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Originally Posted by Richard454 View Post
They still look pretty cool-

I hear that NCRS is now doing a "Custom" class?!!! So it's all good!!
It does BUT what happens when a rock or something hit one because the plastic headlamp protector is not there anymore?
Old 03-12-2019, 09:26 AM
Greengear
CF Senior Member

Drove at night for the first time. The led head lights exceeded my expectations. They really work well to light the road. I also noticed a defined end to the light beam so they probably dont blind oncoming drivers.
Final step is to fix a broken part of the headlight braket assembly under the front bumper. The broken corner causes the headlight to vibrate when I drive over bumps.
Richard,
I did miata headlight motor conversion a few weeks ago. I wired in a relay so the motors get power at ignition on and open when side marker light goes on.

Last edited by Greengear; 03-12-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:23 PM
M Pete
CF Senior Member

I'd like to see a video of that if you can. sounds cool.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:32 PM
Greengear
CF Senior Member

I'd like to see a video of that if you can. sounds cool.
This is after electric headlight motors before led headlight bulb install.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:20 AM
Strokemyaxe
CF Senior Member

I've had my eye on the ones on your passenger side for a while. Those and the other Harley lights with the horizontal bar. Can wait to see them lit up all the way across.

-Stroke
Old 03-13-2019, 11:30 AM
M Pete
CF Senior Member

Are you going to switch out the inboard lights as well and wire them up for the high beam? Just use the outboard for both high and low?
Old 03-14-2019, 12:04 AM
Greengear
CF Senior Member

The led lights shining on my garage door.

Last edited by Greengear; 03-14-2019 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:27 AM
Greengear
CF Senior Member

Are you going to switch out the inboard lights as well and wire them up for the high beam? Just use the outboard for both high and low?
I think I will just do the outboard lights. They function as high and low beams. If I could find some cheap brackets I would do the inboard lights too.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:37 AM
gdm78vette
CF Senior Member

Thanks for the picture shining on the door, I wanted to see how the pattern cut off and it looks good. I definitely don't want to blind oncoming drivers! Almost looks like they could be a bit higher; do you have a way to adjust the aim with the mounts you made?
Old 03-14-2019, 06:41 PM
jb78L-82
CF Senior Member

That beam pattern looks pretty good but the right beam seems to have a "hot" spot. The level to me looks good especially with bright white lights. SUV's and pick ups with yellowish halogens are blinding since the lights should be set much lower than the Feds are allowing..they blind oncoming traffic using cheap plastic lenses, not to mention HID's and LEDs....
Old 03-15-2019, 07:24 AM
Greengear
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by gdm78vette View Post
Thanks for the picture shining on the door, I wanted to see how the pattern cut off and it looks good. I definitely don't want to blind oncoming drivers! Almost looks like they could be a bit higher; do you have a way to adjust the aim with the mounts you made?
yes I agree they need a bit of aiming. The little pads on the end of the threaded legs can screw up and down the threaded legs (after mounting screws are removed ) to allow adjustment. The threaded legs can extend into the gap between the orginal cast aluminum mounting bosses allowing lots of adjustability in or out. The brackets would be much better if you could adjust from the front by simply turning screws. The original bucket adjusters snapped on me when I first tried to adjust without dissassembly so the stock setup also seemd to lack easy adjust feature. I also found that the headlight mechanism
was adjusted to raise most of the way then stop making it impossible to remove the painted headlight surround trim piece. I fixed the raise lower travel
issue with the miata motor install. So before the rebuild I had both lights mostly but not all the way open and one broken adjuster making the drivers light point straight at the ground. Also dirty connectors made the lights extra yellow and dim.
I had a few Uber drivers almost run into my black vette at night I presume because the lights didnt catch their attention.

Last edited by Greengear; 03-15-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:09 AM
gdm78vette
CF Senior Member

Good info, thanks. If I understand the issue with the lamps you are using it is that they are too deep to fit in the standard metal buckets so you made your own mounts. You mentioned that lamps you found that do fit in the stock housing seemed expensive, what lamps were they? I ask because the details given in the ads are lacking to say the least.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:14 AM
Greengear
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by gdm78vette View Post
Good info, thanks. If I understand the issue with the lamps you are using it is that they are too deep to fit in the standard metal buckets so you made your own mounts. You mentioned that lamps you found that do fit in the stock housing seemed expensive, what lamps were they? I ask because the details given in the ads are lacking to say the least.
The lamps that do fit are from
dapperlights.com or similar light specialty websites. They are glass housings with led halos that can accept halogen or led bulbs in the center. Probably an excellent choice. I considered these but didnt like the price (almost $600 with led high and low beams) and I like the new led light assemblies better than bulbs in separate housings that seem more like a conversion. I was also concerned about spending extra to get a direct fit only to find I needed to cut up and modify the enclosures anyways.

Last edited by Greengear; 03-15-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: