C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 04:43 AM
C3ForLife1968
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine question

Hi, i wonder if this engine will fit my 68? https://www.summitracing.com/dom/parts/hpe-hp291p originally it had a 427, but later it got swapped for a 350. Can anyone help me please? Will it fit with the hood and everything?
Old 03-13-2019, 06:48 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Shouldn't be any problem. All GM smallblocks (I'm not including LS engines here) are the same dimensionally. Exhaust should hook up, transmission, pretty much everything. The only thing that may change is the need for a cowl induction type hood if you use a very tall intake manifold. If you choose a later version of the 350, you may also have to swap flexplate/flywheel since they're a bit different.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:59 AM
C3ForLife1968
Instructor

Originally Posted by L88Plus
Shouldn't be any problem. All GM smallblocks (I'm not including LS engines here) are the same dimensionally. Exhaust should hook up, transmission, pretty much everything. The only thing that may change is the need for a cowl induction type hood if you use a very tall intake manifold. If you choose a later version of the 350, you may also have to swap flexplate/flywheel since they're a bit different.
Can i use my old intake manifold? Then it should fit right?
Old 03-13-2019, 07:44 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

It most likely will fit. Make sure it has fuel pump drive and ask about 1 or 2 piece rear seal and vortec heads tbi heads or orig style manifold bolt pattern.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:03 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

That engine has a one piece seal so you will need a new flywheel/flexplate......and the dipstick comes out on the passenger side.....
Other than that.....it is a drop in and your manifold should fit as it has perimeter valve cover bolts and not center bolt......
Make sure to buy a balancer with marks on it.......and use a 1204 Fel Pro intake gasket.....what is your old intake?

Jebby
Old 03-13-2019, 10:04 AM
C3ForLife1968
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
That engine has a one piece seal so you will need a new flywheel/flexplate......and the dipstick comes out on the passenger side.....
Other than that.....it is a drop in and your manifold should fit as it has perimeter valve cover bolts and not center bolt......
Make sure to buy a balancer with marks on it.......and use a 1204 Fel Pro intake gasket.....what is your old intake?

Jebby
Here is my old intake. Its a Holley Street Dominator. Will this bolt on the engine i linked first?

Old 03-13-2019, 10:53 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Wow thats an old piece!! They revised that one a few times, if you dont use it I may be interested just to hang some old stuff on the wall again.

Think that one came with a divider you could slip in.out if you liked, Could be wrong
Weiand makes a real nice low rise dual plane that would pick things up nicely

Last edited by cv67; 03-13-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:55 AM
C3ForLife1968
Instructor

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Wow thats an old piece!! They revised that one a few times, if you dont use it I may be interested just to hang some old stuff on the wall again.
I am gonna use it for my 68 hopefully
Old 03-13-2019, 11:13 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,291 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

On the summit link. Below the engine pic it says overview, theres a link below it that says charts and graphs. That selection gives all the specs for the engine which says it has Dart heads which SHOULD be the old style intake bolt pattern, so yes your intake would fit if that is true
Old 03-13-2019, 11:27 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Yes your Street Dominator will fit....no problem......
The Dart heads are an option....the engine in your link says OE heads. It has perimeter bolt valve cover so old style intake bolt holes.
I would pop for the Dart option......70hp upgrade and will support future mods.....OE heads will get about 360hp then they are done....with porting maybe 390....but why?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp89/overview/

Jebby
Old 03-13-2019, 12:13 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

OP
As the others said, yes the atk crate will fit car & your Holley intake will fit it BUT you'll need a different flexplate or flywheel.

You have your parameters & budget, I have mine. I would not buy someone's used Rebuilt Remanufactured mail order crate motor; I'd buy a New crate. If an enthusiast is a bit clever & resourceful, he/she can do it & get just as much value & power but for the same money. I've posted that new GM Vortec crate option several times on this forum.

However, IF I were to buy a rebuilt/reman ... I'd choose this $2599 Blueprint BP3503CT1 over that $2374 atk ... BP priced $225 more.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...make/chevrolet

Just like atk, BP also already overbored + 0.040" , also fits car, requires another flexplate/flywheel. BUT also requires a different "vortec" intake maniold which can be had for Under $165.

That BP has three important advantages over the atk : (1) BP has roller cam & lifters and its (2) heads are much better performing. The BP is (3) already broken-in/run-in on a dyno.

less than $400 difference between the two; seems the blueprint piece has more advantages than that; plus nearly 50 more hp.

Oh, and your old Holley intake should net you $75; maybe more.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:03 PM
C3ForLife1968
Instructor

Originally Posted by jackson
OP
As the others said, yes the atk crate will fit car & your Holley intake will fit it BUT you'll need a different flexplate or flywheel.

You have your parameters & budget, I have mine. I would not buy someone's used Rebuilt Remanufactured mail order crate motor; I'd buy a New crate. If an enthusiast is a bit clever & resourceful, he/she can do it & get just as much value & power but for the same money. I've posted that new GM Vortec crate option several times on this forum.

However, IF I were to buy a rebuilt/reman ... I'd choose this $2599 Blueprint BP3503CT1 over that $2374 atk ... BP priced $225 more.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...make/chevrolet

Just like atk, BP also already overbored + 0.040" , also fits car, requires another flexplate/flywheel. BUT also requires a different "vortec" intake maniold which can be had for Under $165.

That BP has three important advantages over the atk : (1) BP has roller cam & lifters and its (2) heads are much better performing. The BP is (3) already broken-in/run-in on a dyno.

less than $400 difference between the two; seems the blueprint piece has more advantages than that; plus nearly 50 more hp.

Oh, and your old Holley intake should net you $75; maybe more.
Thank you very much

Get notified of new replies

To Engine question

Quick Reply: Engine question