C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Voltage to Heater A/C Blower

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 12:01 PM
platinummaker
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Full Voltage to Heater A/C Blower

Hi Guys,
In a effort to improve the efficiency of my HVAC on the 72, I was hoping to ensure the highest voltage be obtained to the blower motor on the high fan setting. I have been scratching my head and was thinking of something similar to a relay providing direct fused voltage to the blower from the alternator, similar to the modifications to provide full voltage to the headlamps. For you soothsayers of Ohm's law could you please some help.
Thanks
Old 03-13-2019, 01:20 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 280 Posts

Have you replaced your phan with one for a C4? Birdcage a bit deeper so requires installing a spacer but it will blow more air. I am also interested in the answer to your question. Let's see what happens....
Old 03-13-2019, 01:43 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by platinummaker
Hi Guys,
In a effort to improve the efficiency of my HVAC on the 72, I was hoping to ensure the highest voltage be obtained to the blower motor on the high fan setting. I have been scratching my head and was thinking of something similar to a relay providing direct fused voltage to the blower from the alternator, similar to the modifications to provide full voltage to the headlamps. For you soothsayers of Ohm's law could you please some help.
Thanks
On A/C cars that's already designed in. On High fan there is a separate circuit and fuse that provided voltage to the fan (this also protects the switch).
Usually the fan is not the issue. Usually there is a air blockage on the firewall side of the evaporator coil.
Search the forum and you'll find photos of bird nest, leaves, mice nest ect blocking the evaporator because there is no filter nor mesh between the air inlet at the passenger side of the windshield and the duct work.

Last edited by Hammerhead Fred; 03-13-2019 at 02:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hammerhead Fred:
Peterbuilt (03-13-2019), platinummaker (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 02:07 PM
platinummaker
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred
On A/C cars that's already designed in. On High fan there is a separate circuit and fuse that provided voltage to the fan (this also protects the switch).
Usually the fan is not the issue. Usually there is a air blockage on the firewall side of the evaporator coil.
Search the forum and you'll find photos of bird nest, leaves, mice nest ect blocking the evaporator because there is no filter nor mesh between the air inlet at the passenger side of the windshield and the duct work.
Thanks Hammerhead. So do I assume the fused orange wire going to the blower is providing FULL alt/batt voltage?
Old 03-13-2019, 02:39 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Correct. Other possible problems with "weak" fan performance are bad ground connection and burnt switch contacts. The latter issue could be resolved with your relay idea.

When new, the C3 cars blew LOTS of air into the cabin. That was never a problem. Age takes its toll....

Last edited by 7T1vette; 03-13-2019 at 02:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
platinummaker (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 08:49 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Increasing the size of the ground wire to the blower motor will help too, I never understood why the original is so much smaller than the power wire.

Last edited by '75; 03-13-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:10 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

GM was "cheap" on some incidental stuff. They spent lots of money in development...which is why these cars are still running WELL.

Get notified of new replies

To Full Voltage to Heater A/C Blower

Quick Reply: Full Voltage to Heater A/C Blower