C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

side pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 10:53 PM
78EAGLE2B
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Default side pipes

Just picked up my first Corvette after waiting 64 years for it. It's in pretty nice shape; everything works except the clock of course, great leather interior, rally wheels/tires, very clean engine bay, and a nice ten foot paint job. Not a show car, but a very nice driver. So I started thinking about side pipes for it. What is a good combo of headers and pipes that won't bankrupt me? The car has a 350 with AC. After exploring a bit, my head is spinning.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:23 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Don’t forget to fill in you profile, especially including what year your car is. Of course,

In General, sidepipes wont do much for performance. Doesn’t make them any less cool though.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:08 AM
78EAGLE2B
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks CA. Not really looking for performance; not trying to build a race car, just some cool factor. From what I have read, some swear by them, some hate them.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:01 AM
74_stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 217 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '19

Congratulations on the new Corvette. I am a fan of side pipes, love the look and sound. My car has chrome Hooker side pipes.
Eddy

Last edited by 74_stingray; 03-15-2019 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:48 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Make sure you have something to protect your-and especially her legs. Very unpleasant sensation and smell. Flesh burning that is...
Old 03-15-2019, 08:13 AM
74_stingray
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by Whoisjohngalt
From what I have read, some swear by them, some hate them.
It's a polarizing subject on the forum, your statement is quite accurate. It's tantamount to asking which oil, lol.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:31 AM
Tripower delight
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Unless there header side pipes
Old 03-15-2019, 08:35 AM
nc_c5
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoisjohngalt
Just picked up my first Corvette after waiting 64 years for it. It's in pretty nice shape; everything works except the clock of course, great leather interior, rally wheels/tires, very clean engine bay, and a nice ten foot paint job. Not a show car, but a very nice driver. So I started thinking about side pipes for it. What is a good combo of headers and pipes that won't bankrupt me? The car has a 350 with AC. After exploring a bit, my head is spinning.
I was in the same boat that you are in, trying to decide which side pipes install on my '72 convertible. At the end of the day I decided I wanted the '69 style side pipes and I did not want leg burners. I went with pipes from Allen's Stainless. The exhaust covers are Paragon, even though I ordered these through Allens as well.

These exhaust covers are not simply take out of the box and bolt on. Both the side pipe covers and the exhaust pipes require some trimming on the front fenders. Since my car is a '72 I had to drill new holes in the rocker panels for the exhaust covers to bolt to. Long story short, if a person takes their time and test fits everything before cutting/drilling the end product turns out pretty good.

I cannot tell you how they sound because the interior column and steering column is out of my car right now. Probably a month away from being able to fire it up.

Below are a few pics. Good luck with your decision!

Old 03-15-2019, 10:16 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

I always liked the look of the hooker side pipe headers and hooker chrome side pipes.

i ordered my headers straight from Jet Hot with ceramic coating. The pipes from hooker. Using sts inserts and Deans stainless heat shields.

underhood heat is kept down with ceramic coating and no problems with burning plug boots offf either. The Deans heat shields work so well I can put my hand right on them after driving and not get burned.

Last edited by REELAV8R; 03-15-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:57 AM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Definitely two camps here when it comes to header style side pipes. Some don't want anything that was not factory correct for the year and some, like myself, are happy with period correct and Hooker header/side pipes were definitely period correct. Mine had rusted chrome Hookers when I bought it. I bought Doug's brand and had them Jet Hot coated. I purchased them already coated and when installing them I realized they would have to be massaged a bit for clearance. I sent them back and bought the cheaper painted set, clearanced them, and then had them coated. I don't run heat shields and have never been burned. You have to pay attention to what you're doing though and remind your passenger every time you get out. I just don't like the look of the shields. The ONLY thing I don't like about side pipes is that you will get some of the exhaust smell in the cabin when you are stopped and the wind is blowing from the side or rear of the car. If the engine is not tuned correctly the smell will be worse.

I did consider the factory style side pipes and I like the look of them also. They will bolt to your exhaust manifold so the total cost may be less in the long run.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:09 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Side pipes are cool.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:16 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

The sidepipes and/or headers and only a PART of the cost factor.

Part 2: How will YOU address the vacant rear exhaust outlets & rear valence ?

Scored a set of Hooker sidepipe-headers with plans to install on 71 (large rectangular rear tips). Never have. Plans in limbo.

I had wondered about part 2. Of course, the fiberglass valence pieces are available ...
but I also ruminated on what it might look like if I used two hi-grade (Cibie, Marchal etc) driving lamps about same size of deleted exhaust tips. ..
Use one as alternate backup and ... Maybe the second aimed for momentary warning ... to those behind who refuse to dim their highs.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:20 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by jackson
The sidepipes and/or headers and only a PART of the cost factor.

Part 2: How will YOU address the vacant rear exhaust outlets & rear valence ?

Scored a set of Hooker sidepipe-headers with plans to install on 71 (large rectangular rear tips). Never have. Plans in limbo.

I had wondered about part 2. Of course, the fiberglass valence pieces are available ...
but I also ruminated on what it might look like if I used two hi-grade (Cibie, Marchal etc) driving lamps about same size of deleted exhaust tips. ..
Use one as alternate backup and ... Maybe the second aimed for momentary warning ... to those behind who refuse to dim their highs.
http://www.dynamiccorvettes.com/c3-1...Rear%20Valance
Old 03-16-2019, 11:57 AM
platinummaker
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by flyeri
Definitely two camps here when it comes to header style side pipes. Some don't want anything that was not factory correct for the year and some, like myself, are happy with period correct and Hooker header/side pipes were definitely period correct. Mine had rusted chrome Hookers when I bought it. I bought Doug's brand and had them Jet Hot coated. I purchased them already coated and when installing them I realized they would have to be massaged a bit for clearance. I sent them back and bought the cheaper painted set, clearanced them, and then had them coated. I don't run heat shields and have never been burned. You have to pay attention to what you're doing though and remind your passenger every time you get out. I just don't like the look of the shields. The ONLY thing I don't like about side pipes is that you will get some of the exhaust smell in the cabin when you are stopped and the wind is blowing from the side or rear of the car. If the engine is not tuned correctly the smell will be worse.

I did consider the factory style side pipes and I like the look of them also. They will bolt to your exhaust manifold so the total cost may be less in the long run.
All said before very accurate. Do you like a soft mattress or a hard mattress. Totally preference. Your car your way. Went through the same exercise as you while contemplating side pipe install by consulting real world experience from the brain trust on this awesome forum. For me, outside of wheels and tires, the coolest thing I have added to the car. Imho there isn’t a better car suited for side pipes then our C3s, but as has been shared, there are some tradeoffs. They can always be taken off at a later time if you change your mind
Old 03-16-2019, 01:11 PM
GregX1
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

sidepipes is a "must have" on a C3...

make sure you do something about the holes you have for your current exhaust.

The following users liked this post:
74_stingray (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 04:34 PM
74_stingray
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '19

As noted earlier, I love them, I would add how nice it is when working under the car to not have the exhaust in my way.
Beautiful Corvette GregX1!
Eddy

Last edited by 74_stingray; 03-16-2019 at 04:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GregX1 (03-17-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 06:18 PM
capnron3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my first vette jan 01 of this year hooker comp headers on it already with stainless exhaust all the way to the back ,its a black 82 mint shape the man kept it on a lift in his garage above the 70' mustange fastback you good use the tye rods for chopsticks to eat with very clean ;so if you have a clock in the panel then its older then an 82' I am putting doug sidemounts chrome in witn chrome pipes and glasspack inserts .had the 40's Flomax on, way to loud and sounded sloppy no rythem makesure you use good gaskets everyone seems to raven about felpro also antisiez on header bolts. Alas they mention something about different brackets for AC and other pump brakets like steering and alt however I'm doing this after only waiting 58 yrs if your goin chrome or stainless, its 1500.00 chrome with inserts stainless 2000.00?and cerimac or painted 900.00 this all without add brackets

Get notified of new replies

To side pipes

Old 03-17-2019, 07:16 PM
lan240
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

I have Stahl side pipes on my 69 convertible. the fit is great, here are a few pictures

Old 03-17-2019, 07:54 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by lan240
I have Stahl side pipes on my 69 convertible. the fit is great, here are a few pictures

Sweet !
Old 03-17-2019, 08:20 PM
Capt. Shark
Team Owner

Location: Into the Mystic And yet, despite the look on my face, you're still talking TN
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

It's definitely a personal preference thing. I like them on the chrome bumper cars, on the others.........not so much. To me, just doesn't look right.

Of course, YMMV.

Quick Reply: side pipes