C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forum rocks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 07:50 PM
Buddy1961
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Forum rocks!

So I posted the ID plate I found on the engine block. Sorry was in the general section.

Thanks to CMD1 , sent me a PDF file about the motor. Turns out it a crate motor, a 350HO, 4 bolt main, it was made in 2001, made to replace any small block application. It has a boss for a mechanical fuel pump,awesome!! It will take the stock tach drive distributor, awesome!! So when I tried to do a compression test on Sunday We discovered that the flywheel was not tightened to the crankshaft?? So the flywheel wobbled away from the starter and stopped engaging, Awesome. As I said the car was a gift from a friend. So my buddy and I are going to pull the engine and tranny Saturday morning and see whats going on!!
Old 03-27-2019, 10:10 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Flywheel or flexplate? If the latter, there is JUST enough room to tighten the bolts by removing the torque converter bolts and pushing it back as far as it will go into the transmission. Might still be a good idea to pull it and see what’s what, but this could save a lot of work.
The following users liked this post:
Buddy1961 (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 05:16 PM
Buddy1961
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Its a 4 speed, there are no shift linkage or shifter attached to the tranny so Ill b able to address that as well. I have a feeling there isn't a clutch or pressure plate on the back of the flywheel. I now think the motor and tranny were just dropped in to move the car from where it was before I got her. Thx for you help.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:21 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

In that case you gotta check everything. Coulda thrown on pan without oul pump. Or anything.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:30 PM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

So----if the flywheel wobbled away from the starter there must be one there. Did you hear the starter engage or were you just guessing at what happened? If it engaged at all be sure to check the crank. Flywheels hammering on the bolts can quickly ruin the bolt holes in a crank. Don't ask how I know about it.

Get notified of new replies

To Forum rocks!

Quick Reply: Forum rocks!